Computer wont start after psu change

Cookiey

Hello. A friend of mine fried his PSU and ordered an new one. Wheb they installed the new PSU ( Asus Rog Strix 650w ) i would not start again.

The power sw cable is connected to the right place and we tried to jump start it but nothing...

Motherboard is a ASUS B360-F.

We get a green light in the ROG logo on the mono, but the sb_pwr led is constant orange, and then it goes away after awhile. 

Evwrything is connected to the right connectors and even tried to clear CMOS and shifting on the ram sticks..

But the pc wont start at all...

Any auggestions?

17017726890796510081070417208317.jpg

17017727053551092893567248942901.jpg

17017727163358771630354535863264.jpg

Have you tried with different ram stick? Maybe its the ram causing the problem 

Just now, StoryVFX said:

Have you tried with different ram stick? Maybe its the ram causing the problem 

No havent, dont have any in spare... But should that make the computer not start at all?

What happened with the frying.

Why did it fry ?

Couldn't the frying imply more damage than just the psu ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

Update. The rog led and sb_pwr led is blinking but nothing more

2 minutes ago, leclod said:

What happened with the frying.

Why did it fry ?

Couldn't the frying imply more damage than just the psu ?

Good question, probably and old psu dont know. But its strange the mobo lights are working then ? 

7 minutes ago, Cookiey said:

No havent, dont have any in spare... But should that make the computer not start at all?

I'm not sure but maybe your ram got damamaged during the frying of the psu, and as far as I know a PC won't start without any working ram installed. It could be worth to check if you can find any extra ram just to see if that's the issue or not so you can move on with the troubleshooting. 

You might have an igpu, did you try without the dgpu ?

Did you connect the 24 pin, 8 pin and cpu fan ? (seems to me  that HDD Led connector is upside down)

22 minutes ago, leclod said:

You might have an igpu, did you try without the dgpu ?

Did you connect the 24 pin, 8 pin and cpu fan ? (seems to me  that HDD Led connector is upside down)

Tried without gpu also, and the connector both ways on pwr. The cabels have not been changed since he only switched the psu ans nothing else

6 minutes ago, Cookiey said:

Tried without gpu also, and the connector both ways on pwr. The cabels have not been changed since he only switched the psu ans nothing else

You mean you just replaced the psu body with the same model body ?

15 minutes ago, leclod said:

You mean you just replaced the psu body with the same model body ?

Replace the old psu with a new one

9 minutes ago, Cookiey said:

Replace the old psu with a new one

I think @leclodis asking if the new PSU is the same Model as the dead one.

This may be important because cable managed PSU may not use the same Pinout so that using cables from a different brand, even if they might fit into the psu side, may deliver shorts and wrong voltages due to different pinouts on the PSU side.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

try using the reset switch instead of powersw ... in case the powersw is broken

or take off the cable and use a screwdriver to short the pins to start. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

try using the reset switch instead of powersw ... in case the powersw is broken

or take off the cable and use a screwdriver to short the pins to start. 

Tried to jump start with a screwdriver 😕

1 hour ago, Anghammarad said:

I think @leclodis asking if the new PSU is the same Model as the dead one.

This may be important because cable managed PSU may not use the same Pinout so that using cables from a different brand, even if they might fit into the psu side, may deliver shorts and wrong voltages due to different pinouts on the PSU side.

No this is a brand new ASUS 650W, the old one was of the older types, cant remember which model but it was older. It was a 750W, but he is running a 1660TI and some older gen intel cpu, so power wise he should be plenty lf safe.

But he has a buddy that works in a offshore subsea company so they are gonna have a look at it and measure if there is any life in the mobo. Maybe it also got fried, but again wierd since there are two led on the mobo which are getting power when it is turned on. 

1 minute ago, Cookiey said:

Tried to jump start with a screwdriver 😕

how did the first PSU fry in the first place?

getting mainboard/CPU to run after a fried PSU are often just pure luck..  altho most have overvolt protection it's not unknown to fry the mainboard/cpu/ram too. 

5 hours ago, Robchil said:

how did the first PSU fry in the first place?

getting mainboard/CPU to run after a fried PSU are often just pure luck..  altho most have overvolt protection it's not unknown to fry the mainboard/cpu/ram too. 

Not quite sure why it happend, maybe old and full of dust.. had some engineers to take a look at it and they said it was fried

1 hour ago, Cookiey said:

Not quite sure why it happend, maybe old and full of dust.. had some engineers to take a look at it and they said it was fried

here.. the whole system is usually written off after a fried PSU on the insurance.