GPU wont fit in the case/MOB

Go to solution Solved by GriseBonden,

So I ended up installing the gpu onto the MOB before putting it in the case. I then pick it up and install it (a bit of a hassle, but it went ok). When I booted to windows, it would not show up in device manager. I plugged in the ethernet cable, and after a little waiting the screen flashed and the gpu got recognized (probably windows installing some drivers). It works now, and all of the outputs on the card works as well 🙂

Hello.

I just baught a new gpu (msi ventus 3x e rtx 4070) and a new case (phanteks g500a), and when I moved all of my stuff from my old pc to the new case, I noticed that the gpu does not seem to fit into the PCIe slot all the way. When i push the gpu in, i have to push more on the right side than the left, and when it goes in, it feels like the left side of the PCIe (on the gpu) does not "click" in as far as the right side does. I also see that when it is pushed in, the screw holes where you screw in the thumbscrews (to secure the gpu), are not aligned (I have to push the case in towards the case). Additionally, the inputs in the motherboard (by the IO shield) look like they are not aligned (like the MOB is pushed to far into the case).

When I push in the gpu (as far as I can), plug in the power and DP (displayport), and start the PC, I do get signal from the gpu. I am able to log into my system (so the gpu is geting power and giving out the correct signals). But when I go to device manager or task manager, the gpu is not detected. I have tried to activate the gpu in device manager, but I only have the option to disable it (so that does not work). When I plug the DP into another port on the gpu, I get no signal (only one port works).

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I suspect that the gpu is not pushed in all the way, but how is that possible? I have mounted the MOB with all the screws, but do I need some spacers between the standoffs and the MOB itself?

6 minutes ago, GriseBonden said:

Hello.

I just baught a new gpu (msi ventus 3x e rtx 4070) and a new case (phanteks g500a), and when I moved all of my stuff from my old pc to the new case, I noticed that the gpu does not seem to fit into the PCIe slot all the way. When i push the gpu in, i have to push more on the right side than the left, and when it goes in, it feels like the left side of the PCIe (on the gpu) does not "click" in as far as the right side does. I also see that when it is pushed in, the screw holes where you screw in the thumbscrews (to secure the gpu), are not aligned (I have to push the case in towards the case). Additionally, the inputs in the motherboard (by the IO shield) look like they are not aligned (like the MOB is pushed to far into the case).

When I push in the gpu (as far as I can), plug in the power and DP (displayport), and start the PC, I do get signal from the gpu. I am able to log into my system (so the gpu is geting power and giving out the correct signals). But when I go to device manager or task manager, the gpu is not detected. I have tried to activate the gpu in device manager, but I only have the option to disable it (so that does not work). When I plug the DP into another port on the gpu, I get no signal (only one port works).

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I suspect that the gpu is not pushed in all the way, but how is that possible? I have mounted the MOB with all the screws, but do I need some spacers between the standoffs and the MOB itself?

your motherboard should have standoffs from the back of the case, if theyre not in id highly advise putting them in as spacing can be off for one but can also cause shorting of the board agaisnt the case

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Some smart and good pictures might help us

I'm willing to swim against the current.

2 hours ago, GriseBonden said:

It not going in all the way is usually because the PCIe slot bracket isn't in the case cutouts, or may have overshot them entirely cause the bracket to jam in the slot preventing it going all the way.  Some cases it can be a bit tricky to align that side of the card.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, leclod said:

Some smart and good pictures might help us

Here is a video.

A little update: I took out the MOB, checked that all the standoffs are in place, put in the GPU (with MOB out of the case) and saw that it clicked in more this time than with the MOB inside the case, and then I put it all back into the case. When I turn it on now it still does not show up in device manager/task manager. And I can only use one of the ports of the GPU. This gpu is my old gpu, but the same happens with my new one aswell. I did use DDU to remove all nvidia drivers before switching case, and I have not reinstalled the drivers. Could this be a driver issue maybe?

2 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

your motherboard should have standoffs from the back of the case, if theyre not in id highly advise putting them in as spacing can be off for one but can also cause shorting of the board agaisnt the case

All of the standoffs were preinstalled when I got the case

So I ended up installing the gpu onto the MOB before putting it in the case. I then pick it up and install it (a bit of a hassle, but it went ok). When I booted to windows, it would not show up in device manager. I plugged in the ethernet cable, and after a little waiting the screen flashed and the gpu got recognized (probably windows installing some drivers). It works now, and all of the outputs on the card works as well 🙂