There are so many versions of Xbox now... Is the Xbox Series S latest gen?

Actual_Criminal

I am looking at buying an Xbox to put in my living room to play some older games on the Xbox (OG), Xbox 360 and Xbox One (OG). 

I know for sure that the 'Xbox Series X' is the latest one, which is the standing cuboid shape. 

However, when I am looking at some pre-owned ones on Ebay, I can see Xbox Series X but there is also a horizontal version? Then the Xbox Series S, which is a White-coloured horizontal version?

Can anyone explain differences? The latest console play DISC versions of some old Xbox games right?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

7 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I am looking at buying an Xbox to put in my living room to play some older games on the Xbox (OG), Xbox 360 and Xbox One (OG). 

I know for sure that the 'Xbox Series X' is the latest one, which is the standing cuboid shape. 

However, when I am looking at some pre-owned ones on Ebay, I can see Xbox Series X but there is also a horizontal version? Then the Xbox Series S, which is a White-coloured horizontal version?

Can anyone explain differences? The latest console play DISC versions of some old Xbox games right?

The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S are the fourth generation consoles in the Xbox series. Released on November 10, 2020, the higher-end Xbox Series X and lower-end Xbox Series S are part of the ninth generation of video game consoles, which also includes Sony's PlayStation 5, released the same month

Here is a link to the difference between the X and S.  One is 'high end' and one is 'low end'

The Series S is Digital only.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/compare

And a video comparing them with gameplay by our favorite host.

Current Generation (Much faster CPU/RAM/SSD/GPU than the Xbox-One/X of previous generation)

Xbox Series X (Dynamic or Native 4K)

Xbox Series S (Dynamic or Native 1080p/1440p)

Previous Generation

Xbox One X

Xbox One

For your backwards compatible question I am not sure on the specifics... sorry.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The Series S is current, but has weaker specs than its Series X sibling. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

You need to check the "backwards compatibility" list very carefully. As I don't consider it backwards compatible at all. As someone who owns quite a collection of 360 and Xbox games, very few of my games are playable on the new console.  While there are few "normal" titles that people would play, there are a ton of popular titles that are not on that list at all (read it's more common for "big" titles to not be on the backwards compatibility list).

To add to this problem, as 360 controllers, and xbox controllers are starting to die, and Alps no longer makes replacement joysticks for these anymore. So many games will be trapped on these platforms, until emulation really gets up and running.