How is THIS a Gaming Mouse?

JordB

The Novint Falcon! I wanted one of these back in the day, with the gun grip. I remember that TF2 had gotten support for it, and it had the thing force-feedback against you based on each gun's weight and recoil. TF2 got a lot of support for weird hardware like that; it later supported the Razer Hydra and then Oculus' first VR prototypes way before anything else on the market.

I still think there's merit to the force-feedback thing. I'd love to see it miniaturized into control sticks, which people have already started prototyping. Yeah, the DualSense has its adaptive triggers which can adjust their resistance, but that's only half of the equation. I want sticks and triggers that push back against you. I think that's the next big step in controller evolution; I can see a lot of uses for it.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

I'd like to try something like the Falcon as thruster control in space sims like Elite or SC. Replace the ball with a more traditional throttle style grip and it would be great. Having movement directly mapped to the physical direction just clicks in my head more. Mainly why I use a flight stick and a Razor Tartarus with the forward/back/up/down thrusters mapped to the thumb pad/stick instead of two sticks or a regular HOTAS

With the rise of cheap pen displays and sculpting in VR I just don't see it working in the 3d art field any more. Something more compact like a space mouse works better in CAD too I'm sure.

I swear that Atom mouse is just an actual, regular generic mouse shell. I want to say it was a knockoff of a Logitech design from the time. (Then again, there's only so many ways you can make a triple-clicky rectangle that's compatible with the human hand.)

image.png.cad2e64b6fc715e0b3228afe2fa0e064.png

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I very disappointed they did not formally disclose this episode's sponsor: Monkey Sports Network.

This was a fun video.  Computer tech used to be so much more ... experimental.  We used to try different things a lot more.