Chrome Remote Desktop freezing on start menu or file context windows on Windows 11

Venis DPart

I have a problem with Chrome remote desktop and Windows 11.

It is is not constant, but it happens in every session and makes the Chrome Remote Desktop unusable.

The session starts normally, but then when I press the start button the menu will not appear. It appears on the remote system, but the update will not get sent to the client. Reconnecting the session/window will force a refresh and then I can see the start menu.
The same sometimes happens with file windows (e.g., 'open file').
Yesterday I even had it with a notification about one of those pictures from 5 years ago.

• Windows 10 does not have this issue.
  • I have the issue on multiple PCs. I have tried multiple source and destination computers. The source being windows 10 or 11 does not seem to matter. If the destination PC is windows 11, I have this issue.
  • Those PC's were a combination or desktops, laptops and NUCs. I do not believe is a specific video driver.
  • I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the chrome remote desktop client.
  • I have tried resetting the PC and reinstalling chrome.
  • I have had a friend tried as well and he is able to recreate the issue as well.
  • I tried Googling the issue, but get lost in posts about Chrome Remote Desktop not working at all or completely freezing. This is not my issue. While (e.g.,) the start menu does not appear, the rest of the window remains responsive.

Has anyone experienced this as well? Is there a fix for this issue?

• 3 months later...

Yes, I just resolved this by turning off hardware acceleration in chrome.

In chrome go to settings and scroll down to system.

Under the system section turn off the "Use hardware acceleration when available" toggle switch.

You can relaunch chrome, but I had to reboot.