Best Haswell for the money.

Okay so my friend and I decided that the motherboard he has sucked as it only had one PCI-E slot and with his graphics card falling behind we bought a new motherboard, to get SLI capeability as i have a spare of the same card he has,  we Bought a G1. Sniper M5. The I5 from my friends current pc is not a 1150 socket. its a 1156. 

So needless to say it was a careless mistake. But It needs resolving. so best Processor for a 1150 board,

Previous was a I5-650.

This is a 4 core. First gen?

Budget is $250-300.

If i can get a better overclock-able one I would like it but my friends HIGHLY UNLIKELY to overclock it so its not a necessity. however If i can get something better by doing so I will overclock it. 

So what should I try to get?

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?

i5 650 is a dual core.

You need a 4670k.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

You might want to consider the 4690K when it comes out. If not, like Recon said.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Wait until the Haswell refresh comes out and see if some of the Haswell i5 processors go down in price.

I would actually recommend the i5 4670k if you want to overclock or if not save some money and get the i5 4570. Both are great and you'll see a big performance boost with either one. 

I use a 4670k as I believe thats the best bang for your buck.  For enthusiasts that is. 

I think it's ridiculous to get a CPU so close to 4670k but settle for a locked part. 4670k.

Same here, they don't hold their value as long either.

wouldn't the more sensible alternative be to return the motherboard, and purchase one with an 1156 socket?

^probably is the most sensible alternative.

But I am guessing money is not an issue so he's taking the chance to upgrade after that 'mistake'  :D

Next thing you know he also gets a GPU ,etc.  :P

Go for 4670k it's like an i7 without hyper threading

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

wouldn't the more sensible alternative be to return the motherboard, and purchase one with an 1156 socket

I cant find one. only 1155's so its a upgrade that's gonna need to happen anyway.

so 4670K. 

^probably is the most sensible alternative.

But I am guessing money is not an issue so he's taking the chance to upgrade after that 'mistake'  :D

Next thing you know he also gets a GPU ,etc.  :P

And this computers gonna be out of commission for at least two weeks until we get paid so me and him can purchase it jointly. so money is a object. the only reason we tried was because I have a the pair video card to him. If i didn't i would have told him to save his money for a 780ti.

Thanks for the Input guys. I've been out of the Intel running since my 775 board!.

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?