Have i made a bad purchase?

I'll make it really simple and quick:
I'm completing a PC Build with a 12400f, 6750xt.
I had two choices when it came to buying the RAM:

1. 1) DDR4 32GB 3200Mhz CL18
  2. 2) DDR5 32GB 5600Mhz CL46

Both were at the SAME price (i live in italy).
I bought the DDR5 CL46 one, and now i'm worried for the High CAS Latency.
For almost entirely gaming and a little video/photo editing, is my DDR5 5600 C46 better or worse than a DDR4 3200 C18?

Have i really made that bad of a choice or it was the better one performance/cost wise?

What board do you have? Because if you have a ddr5 board thats all you can run

The ddr5 is by far slower than the ddr4. Just return it and opt for some 6000mhz cl30 or close to it stuff

2 minutes ago, flick9000 said:

For almost entirely gaming and a little video/photo editing, is my DDR5 5600 C46 better or worse than a DDR4 3200 C18?

Have i really made that bad of a choice or it was the better one performance/cost wise?

I have never even seen such high latency on DDR5 😮

The DDR4 would be faster in this case.
I hope you also got a DDR5 motherboard as well.

It does not really matter that much. High CAS by itself is meaningless without context of what the subtimings are set to. You're more likely better with that DDR5 and at worse they are roughly the same performance... but the DDR5 still has more bandwidth.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What board do you have? Because if you have a ddr5 board thats all you can run

The ddr5 is by far slower than the ddr4. Just return it and opt for some 6000mhz cl30 or close to it stuff

Asus Prime b760m-k

Yeah but i can't afford the 6000mhz cl30

4 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I have never even seen such high latency on DDR5 😮

The DDR4 would be faster in this case.
I hope you also got a DDR5 motherboard as well.

I heard that RAM Frequency is far more important than CAS Latency

4 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

What's the brand and model of the motherboard?

Asus Prime B760M-K, but i haven't bought it yet.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It does not really matter that much. High CAS by itself is meaningless without context of what the subtimings are set to. You're more likely better with that DDR5 and at worse they are roughly the same performance... but the DDR5 still has more bandwidth.

I mean they were the same price, i also went for the ddr5 so i could upgrade them in the future without changing MOBO, you think that i have mad a reasonable choice?

@flick9000 High CAS latency, is indeed bad. But what is also very important is memory bandwidth and speed. Why are you comparing DDR5 to DDR4 like it's the first time this has ever happened? Even when DDR4 came out, it had higher CAS latency than DDR3, and actually DDR3 was faster than DDR4 at that time, but DDR4 evolved eventually and become way faster. Today, DDR5 might have more latency, but it has a lot more bandwidth and speed. You can see some real world examples as well, where in games like  CSGO, which are very latency dependent, a latest powerful Intel processor paired with DDR4 actually outperforms that same CPU with DDR5. But, not by much at all. And in other more modern games and heavier workloads, DDR5 always takes the lead.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

27 minutes ago, flick9000 said:

What rams are they?

Cause 5600c46 is a jedec bin and if you happen to get some bare pcb klevvs or hynixes those will clock 8000+ cause theyre hynix a die which basically means youve bought a kit that will obliterate any xmp kit

21 minutes ago, flick9000 said:

^^^

cas doesnt do shit for performance nor do the rest of the primaries as the subtimings and freq is where all the performance is at

Higher freq = lower latency aswell so id prefer to just yeet cas latency in favor of frequency with a low ish voltage requirement

Though it is jedec so id expect it to be slower than xmp unless you tune the thing

You can just send a picture of the ram label and the text on the black ics and thatll be enough information to determine what its capable of

23 minutes ago, flick9000 said:

It's not. Both are important. You managed to buy ram that is on par with like ddr4 2400mhz c20 or something. It's REALLY slow. Totally usable but you will see a performance uplift

However you might just have some leftover chip ram that can easily be brought into shape. What ram is it exactly?

25 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What rams are they?

Cause 5600c46 is a jedec bin and if you happen to get some bare pcb klevvs or hynixes those will clock 8000+ cause theyre hynix a die which basically means youve bought a kit that will obliterate any xmp kit

^^^

cas doesnt do shit for performance nor do the rest of the primaries as the subtimings and freq is where all the performance is at

Higher freq = lower latency aswell so id prefer to just yeet cas latency in favor of frequency with a low ish voltage requirement

Though it is jedec so id expect it to be slower than xmp unless you tune the thing

You can just send a picture of the ram label and the text on the black ics and thatll be enough information to determine what its capable of

They are the Crucial Pro 32GB 5600mhz CL46 2x16

22 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's not. Both are important. You managed to buy ram that is on par with like ddr4 2400mhz c20 or something. It's REALLY slow. Totally usable but you will see a performance uplift

However you might just have some leftover chip ram that can easily be brought into shape. What ram is it exactly?

2 hours ago, flick9000 said:

Yeah those tend to be decently easy yo get down