Gift for 15yo who wants to build a gaming computer

jesus_wept

Hello, I'm a newbie, be gentle lol....

So I have the task of purchasing a gift for a 15yo lad who is keen to build a new gaming PC.

My question to the friendly brains trust of LTTF....what would be a cool contribution to this build? This is a secret santa gift but would love to blow his socks off.

Value is $100 but will go over if its an awesome idea!

Books, peripherals, hardware? (hard to do hardware when I dont know the specifics of his build and no spies to ask)

thank you! (from Australia)

6 minutes ago, jesus_wept said:

So I have the task of purchasing a gift for a 15yo lad who is keen to build a new gaming PC.

My question to the friendly brains trust of LTTF....what would be a cool contribution to this build? This is a secret santa gift but would love to blow his socks off.

Books, peripherals, hardware? (hard to do hardware when I dont know the specifics of his build and no spies to ask)

Either an AIO cooler, RGB ram if that is his thing, or a snazzy case. All 3 are fun, extremely important to a good build, and under $100 if you play your cards right.

Just got a nice cooler for my b-day and love it.

If he's got all of the parts ready and is actively building it, then some fancy fans or RBG lighting would be much appreciated.

one more great idea would be a nice CPU cooler that he can continue using for many many builds later.

usually those parts gets skipped when building on tight budget.

well need to no what pc he has or will have then we can suggest things...

learning the value of moeny and staring out small can be a good thing. give a reason to go get a job or save from birthdays for parts imo.

i got my dads old parts as he upgraded. but i did buy case and fans and modding stuff witch my dad said was a wast of moeny 🤷‍♂️

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

32 minutes ago, jesus_wept said:

I don't think secret santa thing for pc building is a good idea XD

Especially if there's multiple people buying "secret gift". Getting 3 keyboards gonna be "funny"

Just give a coupon to a good tech store IMO.

Or simply print "I will buy you PC stuffs of your choosing up to $100"

So that the kid can buy what he lacks. He can do the research him/herself, or ask you for guidance.

Who knows, maybe s/he been saving up for a new GPU, and only lacks $100.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

The rest of the people here are right on one thing, make sure that you know what he has before you get something new.

You definitely do not want repeats.

Case. A nice case will get used build after build and provide a real nice long term value. ATX standards aren't vanishing anytime too soon.

5 hours ago, WeTuLo707 said:

The rest of the people here are right on one thing, make sure that you know what he has before you get something new.

You definitely do not want repeats.

You also don't want to gift him for example a Ryzen 7 7800X3D when someone else gifts him a Z790 board (AMD CPU on an Intel socket, they aren't compatible). I would recommend talking to the other relatives of the kid to avoid conflicts

I agree with the gift card, although i would say maybe some more storage is alway a good Idea. 
Most modern Motherboards Support more than one NVME M.2 SSD so maybe look for one of those. Currently with the Black Friday going on i bet you can get a 2 TB one for around 100$. Or as mentioned before a gift card, although i would rather say make a diy gift card, because oftentimes you can get way cheaper parts online, than in store, or he might not be buying anything from the store you bought a giftcard from. 

Might seem a bit boring but....Steam vouchers??

Think how many games 100 bucks could get during a sale

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Without knowing what the person already has,wants, or needs this will just lead to waste of money 

You need to know if they even game or what they use the PC for. What hardware they have and what it is lacking. Maybe they hate RGB, already have enough RAM and rather want a down payment for a GPU. Or they are fine with their PC and rather want to start skateboarding. 

I have a hard time finding for myself what I want. Pretty impossible for someone else to find something actually useful. 

Ask them what they would want. Or give them cash. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Depending on what kind of system he’s currently building ram is currently really cheap (from what I can see) but if you are not sure of what he really needs maybe a Ethernet over power line that way he can get better internet speeds if he is already not wired or doesn’t have great WiFi speeds. A decent eop ( I’m abbreviating since I’m lazy) should not exceed 100$ usd 

On 11/23/2023 at 6:23 AM, Lurking said:

Without knowing what the person already has,wants, or needs this will just lead to waste of money 

You need to know if they even game or what they use the PC for. What hardware they have and what it is lacking. Maybe they hate RGB, already have enough RAM and rather want a down payment for a GPU. Or they are fine with their PC and rather want to start skateboarding. 

I have a hard time finding for myself what I want. Pretty impossible for someone else to find something actually useful. 

Ask them what they would want. Or give them cash. 

Exactly my dilemma, this kid is smart and has a big future, I also have no idea what he wants/has/can work with

I was hoping there was a "Linus Tech Tips Greatest Hits: lets build your first computer for beginners" ultimate book or a reference.....maybe Linus could produce one every year with recommendations on what he has found over that year.

I think gift vouchers would be the go and something else for him to muck around with on the day we get together for xmas.

17 minutes ago, jesus_wept said:

Exactly my dilemma, this kid is smart and has a big future, I also have no idea what he wants/has/can work with

I was hoping there was a "Linus Tech Tips Greatest Hits: lets build your first computer for beginners" ultimate book or a reference.....maybe Linus could produce one every year with recommendations on what he has found over that year.

I think gift vouchers would be the go and something else for him to muck around with on the day we get together for xmas.

Honestly, if he wants to build pc that much.

Spending the budget for a book would be the worst option. 😂

IMO, The money better spent for something he actually want or need. $100 can buy some fancy lookin / useful stuff.

I mean.... guides are everywhere , especially youtube. Even LTT made ultimate pc building guide video at some point.

At most that book gonna be read once or twice, not like he builds PC every month.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

8 hours ago, jesus_wept said:

There are tons of "presents for gamer" or "10 best" videos. Take them with a huge bag of salt since they are sponsored and not applicable to the individual.

Books for PCs are dead. More dead than paper magazines. Things change so quickly and much is more opinion (like Intel vs AMD). 

If you do a voucher, do Amazon and not one of those electronic stores like Best buy or Newegg unless you know for sure they like that. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

44 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned a screwdriver from LTTStore.com - now in retro colors only at LTTStore.com 

@LinusTech should hire you for this, lmfao.

1 hour ago, htimsenyawed said:

They won’t. I don’t own an LTT screwdriver but I have a lot of German ones…

Wera you going with that?

20231124_150511.jpg

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

I would suggest either a Keychron keyboard or a Sennheiser gaming headset and a headset stand.

On 11/22/2023 at 2:12 AM, jesus_wept said:

a 2tb SSD some how 90% of people end up needing about 2tb of storage for games as a minimum  

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat