Running WiFi to Another Building

AFKHero

Good Afternoon,

I have basically no experience with Wireless Access Points/Boosters/Extenders but am going to make some assumptions based on my tech experience.  So please correct my if I am wrong.  

My dad has a party barn... yeah, like the Yee-Haw kind, saloon doors and everything.  It is roughly 70 yards from his house and he is wanting to get WiFi out to the barn.  The current signal from the house is unusable out there.   He is looking to do this for the lowest cost possible.  [Note: He is not in an HOA and could care less about resale value of his property].  At maximum he is just wanting to be able to put a TV out there and stream netflix and stuff if he wants and stream music.  Here is my plan:

1.  Bury an outdoor Cat6 (outdoor) cable about 6" deep through the yard running from the router in the house out to the barn. (Lives in Florida)  I told him we could also run the cable through conduit or PVC all the way out there if we need to.   I think around 300 feet is where signal loss issues start on Cat6 so we should be good on distance.
2.  Set up an access point to plug into in the barn.  [this is where i needs reassurances, lol)  I'm assuming I shouldn't need to do anything special on the networking end to make this work besides setting up the access point. 

Any recommendations on the Wireless access point would be helpful. 

I'm thinking about recommending one of those Ubiquity Saucers on the ceiling.  I have seen them used in business applications and they seem to work well but, I am assuming they are PoE, I don't know if they have a regular A/C power input (I'm assuming my dad's current residential router from comcast or AT&T doesn't support PoE).  Was just thinking this option would look the cleanest out there.  

Would it be easiest/cheapest just to daisy chain another wifi router out there and setup a guest network just for the barn?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry in advance if my plan is dumb.

8 minutes ago, AFKHero said:

I'm thinking about recommending one of those Ubiquity Saucers on the ceiling.  I have seen them used in business applications and they seem to work well but, I am assuming they are PoE, I don't know if they have a regular A/C power input (I'm assuming my dad's current residential router from comcast or AT&T doesn't support PoE).  Was just thinking this option would look the cleanest out there.  

Good choice, and ubiquiti offers POE injectors so that you don't have to worry about that. The dishes are going to be more expensive (depending how high end you go), but work excellently well.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-LBE-M5-23-2-PACK-LiteBeam-Outdoor/dp/B0166YREMK/ref=asc_df_B0166YREMK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309777534894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9682869014306696067&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007383&hvtargid=pla-569936087435&psc=1&mcid=369f1732470e3e15b16944063956878c&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58425267301&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309777534894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9682869014306696067&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007383&hvtargid=pla-569936087435&gclid=CjwKCAiAx_GqBhBQEiwAlDNAZvzwV7PblphLyHirDzGCPIJcQudWlkRizgzM3V_IkPRPyk_6il2YNRoCxIYQAvD_BwE

You could also do the pole mount type that has the antennas, and have one on the house and one on the barn, they wlusually say 100M as the range, and are about $50-75 each. 

7 minutes ago, AFKHero said:

1.  Bury an outdoor Cat6 (outdoor) cable about 6" deep through the yard running from the router in the house out to the barn. (Lives in Florida)  I told him we could also run the cable through conduit or PVC all the way out there if we need to.   I think around 300 feet is where signal loss issues start on Cat6 so we should be good on distance.

Yes this is the way if you want rock solid stable stuff and it's really not even that hard. Just get the regular electrical cable protector stuff:image.png.17fd29b92f02ade4bfd3c5278f507b9a.png

As for wireless you can opt for a tp link wireless mesh network. Use 2 outdoor units to link to eachother and 2 indoor ones. One in the house and one in the barn. Should cost like the same as 1.5 ubiquiti saucers. They can be poe too if you want. Ubiquiti is poe only but you can buy injectors.