Intel Cpu Bend? Will A 13600k Break In Only a Few Years? Or is It Only Lower Thermals?

Hi. So I almost have all the parts for a 13600k Pc.

But a thought came to me: this Intel cpu bending deal... Could my 13th gen cpu/mobo break in only a few years???

Losing a couple degrees of cooling, I can live with.

But a broken cpu, or something else bad happening? I do mind.

Edit: how long has 12th been out for? 2 years so far? I'm guessing there's no wide-spread complaints about broken 12th gen cpus, but could they start coming soon?

I don't want to void my warranty with a 3rd party ILM, and I don't wanna risk breaking something. Maybe after warranty is done. But by then, what if there's too much damage, if any?

Is switching to Am5 right now a safer choice? Or do they have similar issues/risks?

What do you think, and your reasoning?

My Mobo: Gigabyte UD AC Z790

Cooler: Deepcool Assassin IV Premium

The cpu/mobo are unopened except mobo cuz of store policy but they'll still accept opened returns.

But 7700x could sell out. 7600x is another option, but more cores would be nice.

Also, i don't even know if there are any good Black Friday deals left for me for Am5.

Even tho 13th and 14th gen cpus have less bending due to being more stiff than 12th gen cpus...
Apparently there's still some uneven contact-pressure between the cpu and coolers.

Plz let me know! Thanks!

This seems like you have a missing concept of how cpus are made. No  this type of issue wont break a cpu at all. All it really comes down to is that the ILM isnt sufficient for 12th, 13th and 14th gen cpus. Intel cheaped out and thus if you get a 14700k/14900k you should get a contact frame. 

Will it break a cpu? No, it does not bend  enough to cause micro-fractures, its simply enough to make a difference for thermals. Motherboard is not affected either.

What damage are you expecting the CPU to undergo?

I don't think you understand the mechanics behind why the CPU is bending and what that bend entails. There is no way for the standard loading mechanism to damage the CPU in its default configuration, and there is absolutely no way for it to damage the motherboard.

The issue is one of CPU contact with a cold plate and/or heat pipes. The amount of bend isn't enough to damage anything - it is just enough that a flat cold plate won't make good contact with the whole surface of the CPU's IHS. As Steve says in the video you linked "...by 'slightly' [bending] we're talking basically microns of difference here." A micron is a millionth of a meter, or a thousandth of a millimeter.

You aren't going to physically damage a CPU by having it be bent or flexed a few microns.

22 minutes ago, AMixOfGeekContent said:

in my 20+ years of pc building never had any broken cpu. You got nothing to worry about.

Physical damage probably the pins on the cpu or motheboard should be perfect.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

in my 20+ years of pc building never had any broken cpu. You got nothing to worry about.

Physical damage probably the pins on the cpu or motheboard should be perfect.

Sorry, could you reword the 2nd sentence, please? I don't understand.

Thanks for replies. Yeah, I dont fully understand the science behind it. But understanding it would give me more confidence in sticking with Intel. So could you please help me understand?

My thought process is: CPUs and mobo pins are delicate enough where tiny microns could matter. Cuz mobo sockets pins can break if you're not careful installing the cpu. So how come the mobo pins won't break from this bending, even if it's tiny?

I guess I can understand that, once the pins are inside the sockets, they aren't going anywhere during use.

But what if you take out the cpu? Why couldn't years of bending break the pins, even if it's just microns? But yet microns are enough to cause uneven contact between the cooler and IHS?

(please correct me if I'm using any terms wrong).

Ps analogies might help. Please explain this to me.

23 minutes ago, AMixOfGeekContent said:

Sorry, could you reword the 2nd sentence, please? I don't understand.

All im saying is don't worry about it, as long as the pins are in perfect condition the cpu will work.

It's prone to break so be careful. GN is famous for overanalyzing things.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 11/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, AMixOfGeekContent said:

a thought came to me: this Intel cpu bending deal... Could my 13th gen cpu/mobo break in only a few years???

Losing a couple degrees of cooling, I can live with.

You're overthinking it. The CPU won't spontaneously break in the LGA1700 ILM. The issue is simply that replacing it with something like a contact frame reduces temps. But using one is likely to cause more problems than not if you get it wrong (since it's basically an automatic voiding of your warranty). But the CPU won't just physically break.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)