RMA Looking For Advice

Syralys

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right spot, but I figured why not. 

In October this year my 3080 ti burnt itself out and was no longer displaying an image. I tested for a bit using onboard graphics and using an old GTX 660 I just had sitting in its box. My 3080 is a Gigabyte model and so I RMA'd it. They spent the last couple weeks doing their thing and eventually came to the conclusion to just upgrade me to a 4070 ti since the 3080 I have was discontinued. I have been doing some research and was able to see that 4070 ti will be roughly about a 10% upgrade. A few of my friends were kind of divided on Gigabyte's decision.

A few were happy for the upgrade saying it was good. I would see a slight better increase in performance and get to use DLSS 3.0 and other features the 30 series don't have access to. 

The other side were not happy and say I could make a case on the fact I spent a lot on the 3080 ti and would expect to get the same card around the same price I had originally paid or make my case on getting a 4080 at the very least. Though I was skeptical on this side as the card was only a little bit over a year old when it broke.

The only reason I'm kind of cut in the middle is because while yeah I did pay a lot of money originally for the 3080 ti and I knew that at the time when I did purchase it, but I know I will have the same  or better performance with the 4070 ti. When reading through the process of Gigabyte's RMA system I wasn't really able to find an answer to my questions. Just they will attempt to repair it or just replace it with the same model (This made me assume I would just get a different 3080 ti in their line up). 

I guess my question is, What would some of you do in this spot? Would you make a case to Gigabyte and see if you can get a 4080 or would you be happy for receiving the 4070 ti?

9 minutes ago, Syralys said:

I guess my question is, What would some of you do in this spot? Would you make a case to Gigabyte and see if you can get a 4080 or would you be happy for receiving the 4070 ti?

You got an all around upgrade because they couldn't fix the 3080 ti. It doesn't seem like you had to fight them to get a replacement. Seems like they treated you correctly.

You might try to get a 4080, but you already got upgraded. The only thing downgraded is the name, and realistically you got a card that was meant to be called the 4080. 

Nvidia Korea CEO Expands on RTX 4080 12GB Cancellation | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Honestly with all the people that post on here with RMAs that get nothing, I think I'd take the card and run.  It's not worse than what you had, so fair deal. Don't get hung up on the numbering schemes. (It's not an "80" series) 

28 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Honestly with all the people that post on here with RMAs that get nothing, I think I'd take the card and run.  It's not worse than what you had, so fair deal. Don't get hung up on the numbering schemes. (It's not an "80" series) 

yeah. years ago when zotac was getting in the market.. it was you pray you get a rma.

i got luck got a 2 model up graded

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I think the important factor here is not the naming scheme but the performance.

Your card broke and you got a slight upgrade , I could see the point if it was a 3090 where you could make a case for vram amount but as it stands you got a card that's on par with a 3090ti at 1440p atleast.

You get slightly better raster performance , Alot better ray tracing performance and the ability to use frame generation.

I think just about everyone would take that upgrade if it was free.

I call that pretty good.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

The only thing I was more hung up about was what I spent buying the 3080 ti, but I do understand technology does advance and hardware becomes more cheap over the years depending on the product. I'm happy to be getting this 4070 ti for one as it will give me a few more years before I do my new build so I won't have to worry so much. I do play on a 1440p monitor so I'm happy it can trade blows with the 3080 ti. 

Thank you all for your advice on this matter. I was so unsure if I should make a case for this or not, but I'll be happy for it.

3 hours ago, Syralys said:

The only thing I was more hung up about was what I spent buying the 3080 ti, but I do understand technology does advance and hardware becomes more cheap over the years depending on the product. I'm happy to be getting this 4070 ti for one as it will give me a few more years before I do my new build so I won't have to worry so much. I do play on a 1440p monitor so I'm happy it can trade blows with the 3080 ti. 

Thank you all for your advice on this matter. I was so unsure if I should make a case for this or not, but I'll be happy for it.

Oh it's not trading blows with a 3080ti , Its trading blows with a 3090ti.

Maybe this will put you more at ease. 

rs99PxP9624E4ZWkXvdNvb.png

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset