recently Started To build a house :)

Xsilent(X)

Quick question, generally here in North America houses are built using wood framing. How does a brick and mortar house compare to the structural stability during earthquake?

Here we use the concept of shear walls to account for this, although I am not entirely sure what the analogous of shear wall would be in brick construction?

we dont have earthquakes in western europe.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

520 square feet is 48 square meters,

oeps i meant 520 square meters :) damn i forgot to say it in dutch english

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I think you were a little to subtle. Try bolding and italicizing it like this:

DO NOT FORGET THE ETHERNET CABLES!

When the house where I life was redone 4 years ago I told the electrician to run ethernet cables. 1. He did not care because it is my parents house, 2. he said in 4 years wireless will be much superior.

Try getting wifi through a steal correct ceiling. Nothing!

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

oeps i meant 520 square meters :) damn i forgot to say it in dutch english

shit, 520 for 500 000. i guess ground is cheaper than in the netherlands. because over here you would pay 1 million.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

When the house where I life was redone 4 years ago I told the electrician to run ethernet cables. 1. He did not care because it is my parents house, 2. he said in 4 years wireless will be much superior.

Try getting wifi through a steal correct ceiling. Nothing!

can confirm, i live in a apartment building (well you know where i live so shhhhhhhhhh...) and even on my bro room he gets shit signal something, he like 5 steps away from the router, though it doesn't help my steel chassis rig to stand next to it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

shit, 520 for 500 000. i guess ground is cheaper than in the netherlands. because over here you would pay 1 million.

Man, europe is waaaay more expensive for housing than america...jeez

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

we get houses made of stone instead though, maybe that contributes.

Congratz & good luck! Hope all goes well!

PS: I literally thought upon seeing the pictures: I recognize the buildstyle of the other houses, this must be Belgium!

Where exactly are you from? If it's not to far I can do a driveby to see if you're doing a good job :-p (not that I would have any clue but still... I can bring you a beer or something :-p )

Nice! I want to see this done :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Congratz & good luck! Hope all goes well!

PS: I literally thought upon seeing the pictures: I recognize the buildstyle of the other houses, this must be Belgium!

Where exactly are you from? If it's not to far I can do a driveby to see if you're doing a good job :-p (not that I would have any clue but still... I can bring you a beer or something :-p )

i live almost the other side limburg maasmechelen

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

actually america is pretty cheap vs almost everywhere especially now whit the current economic situation

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i live almost the other side limburg maasmechelen

Damn, that's like an hour & half drive... Sorry, no beer for you! (not from me at least) :-D

Not sure is @Xsilent(X) saw my question:

Quick question, generally here in North America houses are built using wood framing. How does a brick and mortar house compare to the structural stability during earthquake?

Here we use the concept of shear walls to account for this, although I am not entirely sure what the analogous of shear wall would be in brick construction?

Would be nice to know this. I'm actually going through a remodel right now. Going from 1600 sq ft to ~2200 sq ft. So basically an addition.

I'll let you know its much more difficult. Attaching new framing to old work is a pain in the derriere. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Would be nice to know this. I'm actually going through a remodel right now. Going from 1600 sq ft to ~2200 sq ft. So basically an addition.

I'll let you know its much more difficult. Attaching new framing to old work is a pain in the derriere.

I think its stronger, becauses it flexes more

Wow did not see that! uehm yeah stability question, i think my house could re stand a magnitude of a 5'5/10 on the scale because my house has a foundation of 40cm filled with steel and hard concrete so it can absorb allot of vibration. plus all the floors are poured with steel and concrete, if a 6/10 would strike i would have cracks in the wall but thats it.

I think its stronger, becauses it flexes more

The wood frame, correct? I'm just curious why in Europe they insist on brick and mortar. Earthquakes do happen. Yes, technically brick and mortar will be more rigid and offer more support, until things start oscillating.

Wow did not see that! uehm yeah stability question, i think my house could re stand a magnitude of a 5'5/10 on the scale because my house has a foundation of 40cm filled with steel an hard concrete so it can absorb allot of vibration. plus all the floors ar poured with steel and concrete, if a 6/10 would strike i would have cracks in the wall but thats it.

^Just saw this. I'm a bit skeptical, look up "Northridge Earthquake", yes it was a while back, but it still massive amounts of damage. Or more recently, the Napa Earthquake in California. It was a 6.0 magnitude, and this happened:

140824224421-16-ca-earthquake-0824-horiz

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

The wood frame, correct? I'm just curious why in Europe they insist on brick and mortar. Earthquakes do happen. Yes, technically brick and mortar will be more rigid and offer more support, until things start oscillating.

^Just saw this. I'm a bit skeptical, look up "Northridge Earthquake", yes it was a while back, but it still massive amounts of damage. Or more recently, the Napa Earthquake in California. It was a 6.0 magnitude, and this happened:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140824224421-16-ca-earthquake-0824-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Yes, the wood

There hasnt been an earth quake since i exist in the nearest 40 k, or at all above 2,0 in the Netherlands

I think its more durable, and isolates better

Yes, the wood

There hasnt been an earth quake since i exist in the nearest 40 k, or at all above 2,0 in the Netherlands

I think its more durable, and isolates better

Ahh, didn't know the netherlands was less susceptible to earthquakes. My family is from Romania, and I know that there do tend to be earthquakes every so often, usually in the 5 - 6 MMs, I live in California though, so its basically earthquake season every year...

Earthquakes of a significant magnitude are very unlikely in Belgium or the Netherlands. Look at a map of "tectonic plates": Severe earthquakes happen at the edges of the plates (plates rubbing against each-other, colliding or diving under).

If there is a storm (we don't have hurricanes either, wrong climate I guess), which do occasionally happen, a brick and mortar house will hold up better then a wooden frame.

Edit: + isolation against the cold is better as well, saving energy...

Earthquakes of a significant magnitude are very unlikely in Belgium or the Netherlands. Look at a map of "tectonic plates": Severe earthquakes happen at the edges of the plates (plates rubbing against each-other, colliding or diving under).

If there is a storm (we don't have hurricanes either, wrong climate I guess), which do occasionally happen, a brick and mortar house will hold up better then a wooden frame.

Edit: + isolation against the cold is better as well, saving energy...

Got it. Here is america rafters are required to have storm ties of some kind, such as:

13.5-hurricane-tie.jpgprevent-hurricane-damage-roof-strongtie_

Always interesting learning something new about brick construction. It isn't my specialty. In NA we sometimes use concrete walls that are either poured or tilt up. We also use metal joists in some situations, but I don't like those. 

Overall, its been an interesting experience seeing the difference!

Got it. Here is america rafters are required to have storm ties of some kind, such as:

Always interesting learning something new about brick construction. It isn't my specialty. In NA we sometimes use concrete walls that are either poured or tilt up. We also use metal joists in some situations, but I don't like those. 

Overall, its been an interesting experience seeing the difference!

Yeah well I don't know much about construction either :-), but it's interesting to learn about the differences...

We use poured concrete as well, mostly for larger (appartment- or office-) buildings, usually reinforced with steel bars and steel fibres:

9.png

we get houses made of stone instead though, maybe that contributes.

European construction, Just the floor of the 2nd level weighs over 100 tons. European House= Nuclear bunker. The downside, we don't get a cellular signal inside. 

Hrggggg hrghhh hrhggg hrggg hrgggg!

tim-allen-grunt-o-s.gif

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

some new updates :)

before

10374528_10204983396493520_6027685702031

now

10678663_10204983396093510_2713825539903

10639583_10204983393933456_5328943346785

10665386_10204983393533446_7921247418030

10151224_10204983394653474_2848816697619

1922121_10204983394253464_51968779114709

10698531_10204983393253439_5569143318598

10387618_10204983395213488_7969918541432

1507691_10204983395533496_85812784035670

I dont see any ethernet cables yet

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it