HELP NEEDED: I believe my PC is underperforming in games.

Here's the newegg page to the PC I bought that includes specs: https://www.newegg.ca/msi-mpg-trident-3-11si-009ca/p/N82E16883152798?Item=N82E16883152798

I'm attempting to play games at 1920x1080p, but my FPS keeps dropping and I'm not sure why. I set my settings around from medium to low and, on Destiny 2 for example, I'm using 1800MB out of 5900MB of my VRAM and I'm still running into huge FPS drops when I try and maintain 72 FPS.

What can I do to fix this?

its a pretty weak pc, with bad cooling.

23 minutes ago, bopinboop said:

stop chasing arbitrary framerates and do with what you have, which means mostly *very* low settings, low resolution,  maybe get better cooling but its gonna be difficult in this... hot box of a case.

alternatively,  try returning the pc.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

The first thing that falls into mind when seeing the specs is the 230W(!!!) powersupply. your system at load will draw around 250W, so the PSU is really underspeccd.

You should check that MSI in their wisdom didn't artificially limit your CPU or something to keep the power draw under control. Either by underclocking or disabling cores.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

30 minutes ago, bopinboop said:

Here's the newegg page to the PC I bought that includes specs: https://www.newegg.ca/msi-mpg-trident-3-11si-009ca/p/N82E16883152798?Item=N82E16883152798

I'm attempting to play games at 1920x1080p, but my FPS keeps dropping and I'm not sure why. I set my settings around from medium to low and, on Destiny 2 for example, I'm using 1800MB out of 5900MB of my VRAM and I'm still running into huge FPS drops when I try and maintain 72 FPS.

afaik the 1660S needs external power but your psu is only 230W. PC also looks like it could use a bit of breathing room. If you wanna fix it, you can try moving the PC to a new case and getting a higher wattage PSU. 

But also, just check if all your parts are installed correctly on the motherboard. Also just double check with task manager. And maybe just give the pc a bit of a cleanup.

Ok so these systems are simply put shitboxes

They use underpowered cooling and underclock already lower end hardware ro stay in power and cooling target.

That and this is low mid range pc from 5 years ago basically when did you buy this?

11 hours ago, okkee said:

afaik the 1660S needs external power but your psu is only 230W. PC also looks like it could use a bit of breathing room. If you wanna fix it, you can try moving the PC to a new case and getting a higher wattage PSU. 

But also, just check if all your parts are installed correctly on the motherboard. Also just double check with task manager. And maybe just give the pc a bit of a cleanup.

What do you mean by double checking with task manager? I'm allergic to technology so I always get a bit lost in these talks haha.

12 hours ago, Tegneren said:

The first thing that falls into mind when seeing the specs is the 230W(!!!) powersupply. your system at load will draw around 250W, so the PSU is really underspeccd.

You should check that MSI in their wisdom didn't artificially limit your CPU or something to keep the power draw under control. Either by underclocking or disabling cores.

I have no clue how to underclock or disable cores. If you could send me a good tutorial that would really help. Thanks!

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

Ok so these systems are simply put shitboxes

They use underpowered cooling and underclock already lower end hardware ro stay in power and cooling target.

That and this is low mid range pc from 5 years ago basically when did you buy this?

I bought my pc 2 years ago.

Okay, definitely get a better PSU! I have a five-year-old rig with a better CPU but a much worse GPU (namely 1050Ti). Money is tight I can't change it even if I wanted to. But I have no problem with playing games with 1920x1080. My favorite Cyberpunk runs smoothly and looks nice. I have high details set (of course no fireworks with it) and there are no hiccups. I also did a test run of Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo (I recommend checking GG.deals for the best gaming deals if you are low on cash) and they ran! Despite not having the required set up both of those games ran fine. Mid graphics of course but I was able to play pretty smoothly and enjoy myself. I think you should be able to play Destiny 2 with your computer so really, start by checking the power supply and maybe CPU cooling fan. 

7 hours ago, bopinboop said:

I have no clue how to underclock or disable cores. If you could send me a good tutorial that would really help. Thanks!

The easiest way to check it is with Windows Task Manager.

The "Cores" and "Logical processors" should be 6 and 12 on yours, and the "Base Speed" should be 2,60 GHz.

Also keep an eye on the "Speed". It should be able to boost up to 4,4 GHz, but this is dependent on load, temps and power budget. Task manager isn't the best tool for this, but should be giving a pointer. It will usually fluctuate between base speed and max boost when its not idling, but if its never get anywhere close to 4,4 GHZ or is constantly on or close to base speed it means its restrained by something

For full details of speeds temps and power you should download HWinfo64.

If its artificially limited its most likely done in BIOS, to change that you either have to reset it(clear cmos) or change the values manually. 

image.png.e0b04628b3aa9d8bf9cd2167928e98ff.png

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

11 hours ago, bopinboop said:

I bought my pc 2 years ago.

Yeah checks out.

Check your temps during gaming for cpu and gpu and report back might be having the normal cooling issues.

Really little to do here except open it, give it a good clean with a pc duster or compressor and lower the settings.

4 hours ago, CommandorPickle said:

Okay, definitely get a better PSU! I have a five-year-old rig with a better CPU but a much worse GPU (namely 1050Ti). Money is tight I can't change it even if I wanted to. But I have no problem with playing games with 1920x1080. My favorite Cyberpunk runs smoothly and looks nice. I have high details set (of course no fireworks with it) and there are no hiccups. I also did a test run of Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo (I recommend checking GG.deals for the best gaming deals if you are low on cash) and they ran! Despite not having the required set up both of those games ran fine. Mid graphics of course but I was able to play pretty smoothly and enjoy myself. I think you should be able to play Destiny 2 with your computer so really, start by checking the power supply and maybe CPU cooling fan. 

You cant. its all proprietary size bs in this case. Most of these even have an external brick which cannot be changed.

13 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yeah checks out.

Check your temps during gaming for cpu and gpu and report back might be having the normal cooling issues.

Really little to do here except open it, give it a good clean with a pc duster or compressor and lower the settings.

You cant. its all proprietary size bs in this case. Most of these even have an external brick which cannot be changed.

Would you think it'd be possible for me to just take the good parts out my PC and use a new case to pretty much rebuild it with better parts? This way I can upgrade the PC without having to invest in having to replace all my current parts. If this is possible, what parts would I have to replace to make the most out of the best parts of my current build? 

16 hours ago, Tegneren said:

The easiest way to check it is with Windows Task Manager.

The "Cores" and "Logical processors" should be 6 and 12 on yours, and the "Base Speed" should be 2,60 GHz.

Also keep an eye on the "Speed". It should be able to boost up to 4,4 GHz, but this is dependent on load, temps and power budget. Task manager isn't the best tool for this, but should be giving a pointer. It will usually fluctuate between base speed and max boost when its not idling, but if its never get anywhere close to 4,4 GHZ or is constantly on or close to base speed it means its restrained by something

For full details of speeds temps and power you should download HWinfo64.

If its artificially limited its most likely done in BIOS, to change that you either have to reset it(clear cmos) or change the values manually. 

image.png.e0b04628b3aa9d8bf9cd2167928e98ff.png

The max my CPU hits is 4.1GHz even when using a stress test to utilise 100%. The idle speed when no apps are open is around 1.7GHz. As for clearing my cmos, do I have to open my PC for that?

4 hours ago, bopinboop said:

Would you think it'd be possible for me to just take the good parts out my PC and use a new case to pretty much rebuild it with better parts?

You might be able to get away with this if the motherboard has a standard form factor. Then you would need the new case, PSU and a new heatsink for the CPU.

It may not be worth it if you have to replace the motherboard, because the Windows installation is often tied to the motherboard.

5 hours ago, bopinboop said:

Would you think it'd be possible for me to just take the good parts out my PC and use a new case to pretty much rebuild it with better parts? This way I can upgrade the PC without having to invest in having to replace all my current parts. If this is possible, what parts would I have to replace to make the most out of the best parts of my current build? 

Not really. The board and psu are non stabdard. Id really just sell the thing and start fresh

5 hours ago, bopinboop said:

The max my CPU hits is 4.1GHz even when using a stress test to utilise 100%. The idle speed when no apps are open is around 1.7GHz. As for clearing my cmos, do I have to open my PC for that?

When doing stress tests it will not reach max boost speed unless you are using some exotic cooling, so that's not unusual. Task manager is also not good for seeing what speeds you are actually reaching as it reports some average across all cores. The max boost is usually only for one or a few cores at a time, not all at the same time.

To clear cmos yo will most likely have to open the case, yes. You will have to refer to your motherboard manual for the actual steps to do it. Some will have you short two pins, or take out the cmos battery. some motherboards have a button for it.

You will probably have to enter BIOS after to reapply XMP.

This may not actually do anything as tempratures or power is more likely you culprit