Newegg issue am I overreacting?

bt154

So in the past couple weeks I built a budget/sff PC mostly used parts, even parts that I bought "new" showed up used...

Purchased a 1tb SSD noticed the package was crudely taped together thought that was weird.  Installed anyways with my windows USB in turn the PC on and to my surprise it boots into windows with someone else's info still on it.  

At first I was mad that I was sold a used SSD advertised as new, then I was even more concerned that if I had sensitive information on a drive that I thought had an issue and then had it redistributed into the wrong hands that could be a real issue.  

I ended up wiping the drive installing a fresh windows copy, drive looked to have 69 hours (nice) on it but performed as it should. So rather than deal with shipping it back out and waiting for a new drive I just ate it. 

Tried to leave a review but it hasn't been posted, I also left a fairly detailed review on the case I purchased on the same order but that hasn't been posted yet either after nearly 2 weeks.  Not sure if they're not choosing to post my reviews or I'm just reading too deep into it. 

IMG_20231104_141123565_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231104_140858291_HDR.jpg

Newegg is full of third-party sellers now which is easy to miss, I would complain about this personally. It's a bigger problem for Devin G than for you. The seller is clearly not being careful with returned items.

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I would not, in any circumstances, ever use used storage media. 

Period.

I did not plan to. 

Just now, thevictor390 said:

Newegg is full of third-party sellers now which is easy to miss, I would complain about this personally. It's a bigger problem for Devin G than for you. The seller is clearly not being careful with returned items.

It was claimed to be sold and shipped by Newegg what ever that means now. 

You're not overreacting, sending out used parts as new is a common problem across many retailers. With storage, this isn't just a security problem for the other user, but for you as well, because you have no idea what might have been installed on that drive and there's some nasty malware out there.

I treat 3rd party sellers on Newegg as a 'no go' just as I do with Amazon 3rd party sellers that aren't the manufacturer's direct listing.

If this happened from 'sold and shipped by Newegg' then its a problem. Then you've got an argument for concern if it was a 'sold and shipped by Newegg' New listing. Finding a 'New' listing is more complicated now too, since you have to actually verify it in the actual listing. You'll usually see more than one listing, one of which is cheaper and not marked as Used.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

I treat 3rd party sellers on Newegg as a 'no go' just as I do with Amazon 3rd party sellers that aren't the manufacturer's direct listing.

If this happened from 'sold and shipped by Newegg' then its a problem. Then you've got an argument for concern if it was a 'sold and shipped by Newegg' New listing. Finding a 'New' listing is more complicated now too, since you have to actually verify it in the actual listing. You'll usually see more than one listing, one of which is cheaper and not marked as Used.

This is the exact link I bought from. Shows sold and shipped from Newegg, I've literally always seen reviews where people claim to get used items sold as new and half never believed it.  Apparently it's happening more than I thought. 

Screenshot_20231109-095826~2.png

certified newegg moment, just diskpart clean and move on it'll happen again

Any returned item (even if never used by first purchaser) should be sold by Newegg as used or reconditioned or something else that isn't "new".  Maybe if the original packaging still was sealed... But since there was an OS installed, that wasn't the case here. 

Not sure about the legal situation when selling as new.. but certainly complain to them. 

If they are a$$holes, I'm sure GN etc Al are happy to know about that if multiple users are impacted 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

2 hours ago, bt154 said:

I ended up wiping the drive installing a fresh windows copy, drive looked to have 69 hours (nice) on it but performed as it should. So rather than deal with shipping it back out and waiting for a new drive I just ate it. 

Yet Mr. Devin G. returned it for some reason. Maybe it's unrelated to the drive's reliability... or maybe you're about to find out why. It sucks to have to wait, but I'd advise to always get what you actually bought first and move from there (unless you truly don't care about the difference - or enforcing the warranty later). 

33 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yet Mr. Devin G. returned it for some reason. Maybe it's unrelated to the drive's reliability... or maybe you're about to find out why. It's sucks to have to wait, but I'd advise to always get what you actually bought first and move from there (unless you truly don't care about the difference - or enforcing the warranty later). 

+1

Considering the time to install OS, and the downtime during RMA, it is never good advice to skimp on a drive. Even with backup. 

If I was in OP shoes, I would have purchased a better brand name SSD immediately and returned this one. 

With the low SSD prices warranty is meaningless. Reliability matters. That $50 drive will be a $15 drive in 3 years and not worth sending back to get another refurbished drive.

Obviously depends on how important the PC is. If it is just for checking private websites every once a while, sure, this may work. But if you work remotely and your life depends on it, get the very best 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

This is mostly a spare pc that I wanted to mess with SFF building.  And has mostly been a headache with chasing some issues(used and older parts being used) but it is currently up and running.  It will never hold any important data more than game library type things. I have a reached out to newegg and they said they will replace it but the annoyance of wiping removing mailing out waiting for a replacement is basically more than I care to deal with.  I may be in the wrong with that thought but its where I'm at currently. 

9 minutes ago, bt154 said:

This is mostly a spare pc that I wanted to mess with SFF building.  And has mostly been a headache with chasing some issues(used and older parts being used) but it is currently up and running.  It will never hold any important data more than game library type things. I have a reached out to newegg and they said they will replace it but the annoyance of wiping removing mailing out waiting for a replacement is basically more than I care to deal with.  I may be in the wrong with that thought but its where I'm at currently. 

Someone smarter than me will be able to tell an easy way to clone what you installed to the new drive assuming they send replacement before you send the old one back. 

And not to defend Newegg here. But if you don't complain, they don't know about the issue and can't improve. Just for that reason it was good to return. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

Would not even have taken it out of the box. Photo of the taped together box, complaint, return. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Lurking said:

Someone smarter than me will be able to tell an easy way to clone what you installed to the new drive assuming they send replacement before you send the old one back. 

And not to defend Newegg here. But if you don't complain, they don't know about the issue and can't improve. Just for that reason it was good to return. 

I did complain and they will not refund or replace the drive until it has been returned. Even though it's not the end of the world I'm out the PC until it is replaced plus I have to spend more of my time to fix their f up, this grinds my gears the most. 

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Would not even have taken it out of the box. Photo of the taped together box, complaint, return. 

That would have been the smart choice but I really wanted to know if my crappy PC was going to work.

3 minutes ago, bt154 said:

I did complain and they will not refund or replace the drive until it has been returned. Even though it's not the end of the world I'm out the PC until it is replaced plus I have to spend more of my time to fix their f up, this grinds my gears the most. 

That would have been the smart choice but I really wanted to know if my crappy PC was going to work.

Hope they at least pay for shipping it back. They definitely owe you that plus extremely quick turnaround.

Obviously you could just leave as is and take the risk. If it fails in 2 years, you sure can get that size SSD for pennies anyway. 

Buy a Samsung SSD that had been 6 months on the market to work out bugs, and buy from Amazon = trouble free life.

As good business would treat you like royalty and send a new one right away since they clearly (inadvertently) defrauded you. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

1 hour ago, Fennick_Fox said:

I never use Newegg for anything. They're not organized well, and often ship out faulty products. The fact they're still in business shocks me. People constantly have issues with them.

Same.  They used to be my go-to for all things computer related but now I won't touch them.