Meta/Facebook tries to put ads in whatsapp yet again

darknessblade

Summary

It’s been a while since Meta last mentioned anything about ads coming to WhatsApp, but it looks like they’re still a possibility.

Quotes

{The verge} It’s been a while since Meta last mentioned anything about ads coming to WhatsApp, but it looks like they’re still a possibility.

WhatsApp might still deploy ads on the platform alongside the app’s Instagram Stories-like Status feature, company head Will Cathcart recently said in an interview. As pointed out by TechCrunch, Cathcart stated that WhatsApp ads could show up in different places within the app, including the newer Channels feature and statuses, though no timeline was provided for the change.

My thoughts

And yet another disgusting act from a company that tries to squeeze as much out from their userbase

I hope they get fined into oblivion per infraction per user, by every Single "consumer protection agency"  in existence for not honoring their promise of NEVER PUTTING ADS IN WHATSAPP

The fact that the EU prohibits Meta from using whatsapp userdata from EU consumers for advertising purposes, should have been  enough of a red flag for meta that they should not pull a stunt like this.

Since I can guarantee that they will use the excuse of ads already existing in the app, to collect more userdata to show more personalized ads.

And when they do get fined for said "excuse" they will stall as long as they can.

Sources

https://www.livemint.com/technology/apps/whatsapp-head-will-cathcart-hints-potential-introduction-of-ads-on-channels-and-status-report-11699426659463.html

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/mercado/2023/11/brasil-e-o-pais-do-whatsapp-diz-presidente-do-aplicativo.shtml

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/7/23950795/meta-whatsapp-status-ads-sales-advertising-plans

Older topics/articles of them trying to pull the same stunt

https://www.newsweek.com/facebook-whatsapp-advertising-plans-scaled-back-what-happens-next-1482689

EU rules on whatsapp userdata for advertising

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_1302

Article where they promised to NEVER put ads in whatsapp

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-ceo-of-whatsapp-hates-advertising-2014-2?international=true&r=US&IR=T#:~:text=WhatsApp promises that it will never have advertising%2C even after being bought by Facebook. Facebook is almost entirely ad supported. 

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

So It's gonna be like this? - You are talking to your friend in whatsapp video call and add pops up :D wait 20 sec for video to finish to continue talking.
That sounds soo bad but I would love to see that x)

Well I'm glad that I managed to move all of my Contacts away from WhatsApp over to Signal and Discord instead. Was super reliefed when I finally deleted my WhatsApp account and uninstalled the App. I now use no more Products from Facebook.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Well I'm glad that I managed to move all of my Contacts away from WhatsApp over to Signal and Discord instead. Was super reliefed when I finally deleted my WhatsApp account and uninstalled the App. I now use no more Products from Facebook.

It works until you meet new people... At least that's my experience.

45 minutes ago, nurax1337 said:

Well as long as I won't have to be part of any future WhatsApp Group Chats then I think I'll be fine. Even then I'll just massively criticize what ever they're doing first and then suggest alternatives for what ever it is the Group Chat is about and trying to achieve.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

3 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

I wish I could convince everyone in my contacts list to switch to Signal. Unfortunately, WhatsApp is pretty much universal in the UK.

14 hours ago, nurax1337 said:

why? you give them your discord and when they ghost you, screw them. 🙂

12 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

I wish I could convince everyone in my contacts list to switch to Signal. Unfortunately, WhatsApp is pretty much universal in the UK.

well, tell them you don't support the zuck, when they ghost you, screw them?

Guys, if you always go "with the masses" nothing will ever change...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Well as long as I won't have to be part of any future WhatsApp Group Chats then I think I'll be fine. Even then I'll just massively criticize what ever they're doing first and then suggest alternatives for what ever it is the Group Chat is about and trying to achieve.

wechat is super awesome... i bought a mod through wechat... had to uninstall afterwards tho because i couldn't stop shaking...  (dont ask lol) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Guys, if you always go "with the masses" nothing will ever change...

Well I'm using Signal for everything but new people w/o Signal or those that actively refuse using it. And I'm donating to Signal. 

Looking forward to Meta making a dumb move that will lead to more people looking for alternatives. 🙂