What LEDs are these?

Hey peeps, i have a wifi card which has two green LEDs, but my rig's color scheme is black/red so i want to solder red ones on there, but i struggle finding the right ones. I attached a bunch of pictures of said wifi card's LEDs.

If I am not wrong, these ones would be the correct ones? I have no idea about the electrical data of the current ones, so i hope it will be okay?

I also included a poor photo of two LEDs on my motherboard, one of which i would like to replace. It's a SMD LED but i have no clue what size? I guess 1206 but idk. So I'd appraciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

post-31147-0-41544600-1400417352.jpg

post-31147-0-29588000-1400417354.jpg

post-31147-0-55478800-1400417355.jpg

post-31147-0-00245600-1400417357.jpg

post-31147-0-41544600-1400417352.jpg

post-31147-0-29588000-1400417354.jpg

post-31147-0-55478800-1400417355.jpg

post-31147-0-00245600-1400417357.jpg

who cares...

Just cover up the LEDs with plastidip or something

Just cover up the LEDs with plastidip or something

I might do this for the motherboard LEDs but for the Wifi card i would like to keep them and make them red ones. The soldering looks fairly simple because they are through-hole LEDs, so nothing fancy.

who cares...

For the WiFi card you may be able to solder the led with its holder.

Once removed take the 3mm LED out of the plastic holder and replace with a red LED. (make sure of correct polarity)

solder the new LED in the original holder onto the board.

As for the surface mount LEDs on the motherboard just cover them up. maybe liquid electrical tape, paint or nail varnish. 

Build Log: Monochrome

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H | Graphics Card: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB,2 Seagate Baracuda 3TB | Case: Corsair 350D Window

To me it just looks like a plain LED in a case, but I do think the ones in the link are the right ones.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

To me it just looks like a plain LED in a case, but I do think the ones in the link are the right ones.

Yeah. These kinds of LEDs come in that right angled 'case' But there are many variants so i wasn't sure. :D

who cares...

Measure the voltage of the LED on the board now, it may not be 12V.

I second the notion to just remove the LED out of the plastic holder.

Measure the voltage of the LED on the board now, it may not be 12V.

I second the notion to just remove the LED out of the plastic holder.

I sadly don't have a voltage meter. Might get one though, because a proper household needs one. :D

Do you mean the one on the motherboard? The SMD LED? idk if there are even electrical differences. I might actually just plasti dip it, as suggested above, because i don't have the balls to do soldering on my mobo. :P

Putting a new LED in the houseing at the wifi card sounds do-able.

However I tried to get the LED off and take it apart, but they soldered it on there pretty well. It's not your regular tin. My soldering iron can't get it off. :(

Thanks anyways. :D

who cares...

I sadly don't have a voltage meter. Might get one though, because a proper household needs one. :D

Do you mean the one on the motherboard? The SMD LED? idk if there are even electrical differences. I might actually just plasti dip it, as suggested above, because i don't have the balls to do soldering on my mobo. :P

Putting a new LED in the houseing at the wifi card sounds do-able.

However I tried to get the LED off and take it apart, but they soldered it on there pretty well. It's not your regular tin. My soldering iron can't get it off. :(

Thanks anyways. :D

I mean the wireless card one might not be your typical 5 volt 3mm LED, not sure why I said 12V earlier...

It likely is 5V, but IIRC mini PCIe cards are all 1.5 and 3.3 volt and they may not have DC-DC converters on it for 5V so if you replaced it with a 5V LED it wouldn't be very bright/light up at all if it only gets 1.5V.

Sometimes there is a coating applied to prevent shorts, carefully scratch at the solder with a sharp knife to create a shinny spot and then hit the shinny spot with your iron.

As for a cheap multimeter, I bought a few of these to throw all over the place so I always had one on hand and they have held up surprisingly well for the price: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVYGZA

The one quite annoying thing about them is the kickstand doesn't say out very well and it falls over quite a bit... but I love the large display.

Different color LEDs May not use the same voltage. Blue is usually around 3.3v, red is 2-2.2v.you can solder a red one into a blue position, but it may not last long. You need to either put a resistor or a diode in series with red LED in order to make it work with 3.3v.

More detailed information:

http://electronicsclub.info/leds.htm