Ram refuses to run at 3600mhz

Go to solution Solved by ThousandBlade,

You need to look into Memory Controller Votage

Increasing those a bit will enable you to run faster memory.

There's a very detailed guide on github.

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4 OC Guide.md

I don't know why but people always think memory overclock is just enabling XMP and that's it.

that usually results in no boot.

Hi there I was wondering if I could get any assistance with my problem , my ram no matter the voltage or MHz when I restart my computer and boot into windows it shows up at 1.20 volts and 2133 mhz , it seems to me it just goes to default . I have tried running 1 stick at a time and both of them individually give the same result . I have no overclock running but pbo and gpu slight overclock 

CPU - 7 2700x

Ram - 16 gb gskill Trident z neo 3600 cl 16

Motherboard - gigabyte x570 gaming x (rev 1.0)

GPU - Nvidia 3070 founders 

Any help would be appreciated 

I have tried much lower , such as 2400 and nothing happens, I have heard other people could achieve such ram in simaler builds

First off, what BIOS revision are you on? Different revisions have different memory OC capability, and there are definitely some that are just broken. Given you said 2400MT/s doesn't work, I'd hazard a guess that this is your issue. 

That said, as @BiotechBen said, 3600MT/s is generally too high for the 2700X. That memory controller doesn't reliably work above 3200MT/s, and while you can get speeds like 3600 to work, it often takes quite a bit of effort tuning voltages and termination settings. 

Also, how are you checking memory frequency? There's many different ways to do so and some of them are not as reliable as each other, so it's possible you're using one of the less reliable methods. 

I don't know why but people always think memory overclock is just enabling XMP and that's it.

5 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

It's because that's how it's marketed as, and for the more reasonable XMP profiles with reasonably well designed IMCs it usually does just work. Problem is there's also the super high frequency kits and platforms with mediocre at best memory controllers, and when using a pair like that (like is what's in OP's case) it just doesn't work. 

17 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

I switched to intel in 2016.  I've not had a problem with XMP since

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's because that's how it's marketed as, and for the more reasonable XMP profiles with reasonably well designed IMCs it usually does just work. Problem is there's also the super high frequency kits and platforms with mediocre at best memory controllers, and when using a pair like that (like is what's in OP's case) it just doesn't work. 

Problem is with XMP profiles are, 

It should be treated like auto cpu overclock features, if it works it works, if it doesn't then time to tweek it manually.

But basically nobody explains that. The marketing makes it sound so hassle free, just apply the setting and it's all good.

And people always expect it to work out of the box.

3 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

I switched to intel in 2016.  I've not had a problem with XMP since

In my own experience it's about 5050 if it works or not.

8 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

And people always expect it to work out of the box.

Because if you're buying the reasonable XMP profiles and are using most platforms, it just kinda does. X99 and early AM4 are the only places where I'd expect XMP to just not work, or if you're using stupid high XMP profiles like 4000MT/s+ on DDR4. outside of those two categories which are realistically not all that common (especially as of now), yeah, XMP does just work out of the box without needing really any effort. It's only when you're pushing the frequency limits of a platform does it start to become a problem, and kits that are pushing those limits are not all that common relatively speaking. 

I will agree that XMP is a bit overhyped, but more because of the high end kits with XMP profiles that are never going to work like 4400 CL17 or DDR5 8200 CL38. If those kits just weren't sold with an XMP profile with a paper in the box that says "do it yourself," I'd have no qualms about it. 

I have a set of 3600 Mhz RAM I run at 3466 with timings from 3600 since I haven't had any success with it on AM4. It seems stable, passed the MemTest and slightly faster 3200. I didn't want to spend anymore time trying to fine tune it. I'm not confident on AMD memory controller even for DDR5 for faster timings and want to wait atleast a 2-3 years before even switching to a motherboard for DDR5.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Because if you're buying the reasonable XMP profiles and are using most platforms, it just kinda does. X99 and early AM4 are the only places where I'd expect XMP to just not work, or if you're using stupid high XMP profiles like 4000MT/s+ on DDR4. outside of those two categories which are realistically not all that common (especially as of now), yeah, XMP does just work out of the box without needing really any effort. It's only when you're pushing the frequency limits of a platform does it start to become a problem, and kits that are pushing those limits are not all that common relatively speaking. 

I will agree that XMP is a bit overhyped, but more because of the high end kits with XMP profiles that are never going to work like 4400 CL17 or DDR5 8200 CL38. If those kits just weren't sold with an XMP profile with a paper in the box that says "do it yourself," I'd have no qualms about it. 

I had lots of cumputers over the years, history with XMP is very soptty.

Had a i5 6600k and a i7 6700 build. XMP didn't boot at 2800 for both of them.

Build 8600K for a friend, 3200 didnt boot.

another one with 8700k, 2800 boots without any tweeking.

had 2 9700k machines, 1 boots with 2800 one doesnt.

12400 and 2 13600kf machines, all booted with 3200

I'd say they those build were as common as they get.

I just stopped buying those fast memory when I know I don't have days to mess around with them manually. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First off, what BIOS revision are you on? Different revisions have different memory OC capability, and there are definitely some that are just broken. Given you said 2400MT/s doesn't work, I'd hazard a guess that this is your issue. 

That said, as @BiotechBen said, 3600MT/s is generally too high for the 2700X. That memory controller doesn't reliably work above 3200MT/s, and while you can get speeds like 3600 to work, it often takes quite a bit of effort tuning voltages and termination settings. 

Also, how are you checking memory frequency? There's many different ways to do so and some of them are not as reliable as each other, so it's possible you're using one of the less reliable methods. 

I check everything with cpu-z and taskmanger , I have recently updated my bios I will have to check for any newer version 

1 hour ago, ThousandBlade said:

I will check the guide but I have already attempted to manually increase the voltage to 1.35 ( as rated voltage for the kit ) and still nothing it defaults to 1.20

1 hour ago, vicyboi said:

Hi there I was wondering if I could get any assistance with my problem , my ram no matter the voltage or MHz when I restart my computer and boot into windows it shows up at 1.20 volts and 2133 mhz , it seems to me it just goes to default . I have tried running 1 stick at a time and both of them individually give the same result . I have no overclock running but pbo and gpu slight overclock 

CPU - 7 2700x

Ram - 16 gb gskill Trident z neo 3600 cl 16

Motherboard - gigabyte x570 gaming x (rev 1.0)

GPU - Nvidia 3070 founders 

Any help would be appreciated 

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

That's your problem. 3200 is often a stretch, let alone 3600. 

Sort of. I'm running 2x16GB of DDR4 3600 @ 3400 with C18 timings on a 2700X in a X470 board. I can't do 3600 without bumping SOC voltage to longterm unhealthy levels and relaxing timings to pointlessness. I'm running 1.12 SOC voltage according to software and I bumped the RAM voltage up a bit to around 1.36-1.38 volts (I forgot the exact number) to get it stable at that speed with that amount of memory and those timings on this memory kit. It's going to vary CPU to CPU, board to board, RAM kit to RAM kit, but you need to bump SOC and RAM voltage some to get moving toward a stable speed and timings. You're probably not going to run 3600 but you can do a little better than 3200 usually.

20 minutes ago, vicyboi said:

I will check the guide but I have already attempted to manually increase the voltage to 1.35 ( as rated voltage for the kit ) and still nothing it defaults to 1.20

not the memory voltage, the memory controller voltage, that effects how fast you can run the memory.

it's named differently on AMD chips, follow the guide.

Also when you have it keep returning to default like that, it's because it wasn't able to boot with the setting. and the computer reverts to last know bootable setting.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I can't do 3600 without bumping SOC voltage to longterm unhealthy levels and relaxing timings to pointlessness.

Exactly. To get to 3600 on a 2000 series chip it's a push that may have worse performance than a lower frequency with better timings/latency.

If it was Zen 2, 3600 is achievable with some minor tweaking.

7 hours ago, ThousandBlade said:

not the memory voltage, the memory controller voltage, that effects how fast you can run the memory.

it's named differently on AMD chips, follow the guide.

Also when you have it keep returning to default like that, it's because it wasn't able to boot with the setting. and the computer reverts to last know bootable setting.

Ah that does make sense as it does seem to take longer to boot , I will check what's it's called on my Mobo but I have noticed on the downloadable manual that the max speed was for my 2 ND gen CPU would be 2667 , yet I can't even get 2400 to work , I have also found a Reddit post and a toms hardware post about this same issue on this board , here are the links 

gigabyte-x570-gaming-x-x-m-p-feature-see

On 11/6/2023 at 1:03 AM, vicyboi said:

I have tried much lower , such as 2400 and nothing happens, I have heard other people could achieve such ram in simaler builds

reset CMOS and try again.

do not change *any* settings after you reset CMOS

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/6/2023 at 1:54 AM, vicyboi said:

Update I managed with Ryzen master and dram calculator for Ryzen to bump it up to 2800 and am pushing for 3200 with good timings , I don't believe I can do 3600 with the voltage almost at the safe limit so I won't bother. Am going to play with the bios for best performance and stability so I can keep the dram voltage low

On 11/6/2023 at 1:15 AM, ThousandBlade said:

On 11/6/2023 at 1:26 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

tbf, even on this very forum there are people who say "just set xmp to whatever speed you want it'll just work"... when that in almost all cases isn't the case... doesn't help that most motherboards have "try it" options and whatnot... and then people get confused when the pc boots, but keeps crashing, "surely can't be the ram..."

and then there's the whole thing about most especially older ryzens simply having massive issues running advertised XMP speeds above ~3000mhz...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity