Brand New Mac Book Pro (Sealed)

2.2 GHz Quad Core Intel i7 processor 6MB shared level 3 cache

4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM

750GB 5400-rpm HDD

15.4 inch LED backlit widescreen display

intel HD graphics 3000

AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

Built in FaceTime HD camera

8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DCD+R DL/DWD+RW/CD-RW)

Thunderbolt port supports high scpeed I/O and Mini Display Port devices

SDXC card slot, Firewire 800 port, two USB 2.0 port

Optical digital audio/analog audio input and output ports

10/100/1000 BASE-T Ethernet

802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Backlit keyboard and ambient light sensor

Preinstalled Mac OS X and Life

It's not a retina, which is the main selling point.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

On a notebook, everything is in the question. And thunderbolt is Intel's tech, not Apples.

http://m.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-late-2013-vs-dell-xps-15-late-2013--1193211

And there you have it.

There will always be competition for them, to assume that the MBP is the ultimate is foolish fanboyism.

I am not saying that the MBP is bad, on the contrary, but there will always be competition.

It's 750, not 1000.

i would rather use a cheap phone and get a 780ti... :P

Retina is a marketing term.

Retina is a marketing term.

High pixel density/resolution. Happy now?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

High pixel density/resolution. Happy now?

Yarrrr me matey!

yeah but I'd blow it for 2k$ the one OP posted. this one I posted is just no.

Live your life like a dream.

For both:

• Worse build quality
  • Worse trackpad
  • Slower storage
  • Worse battery life
  • Lower res screen
  • Less colour-accurate screen
  • Arguably worse operating System, also can't run both OSX and Windows
  • Much thicker
  • Heavier
  • No Thunderbolt
  • No WiFi AC
  • No magnetic charger

Need I go on?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Guys, you seem to be missing the "Pro" moniker in the Macbook Pro and seem to be mentioning the display being its selling point. Kay, well..I argue that ultra high def pixels need more power to be pushed than an Intel branded potato. No matter how good Intel gets with their onboard graphics, it will always be anemic compared to a real gpu and high res displays need all the power they can get. The link I posted wasn't even the highest config, the 750m isn't exactly that much of an improvement. It's like Apple blew all the budget for the body, display and fancy PCI-E SSD and went cheap on everything else. Zero excuse for a machine costing over 2 grand to have graphics that weak and still have the nerve to call itself a pro machine for professionals.

I mean, this isn't even catering to gamers with demanding needs for games, I'm talking purely professional and common sense about the graphics power needed to deliver smooth performance for that high a resolution. Integrated graphics or a 750m..come on, that's a joke.

in the uk the mac book pro is £2100

the new dell xps 15 is 1200 comes with a 3.2 quad i7, 750m graphics and 3200x1800 touchscreen 32gb ssd + 1tb hdd it looks very nice too

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-9530/pd for the extra 300 you can get 512 ssd 

yes its not gonna be as well made but coming in some 600-900 cheaper is that finish really worth that much!!!

i like apple i had the iphone 5 before i sold it for a gtx 760 i have an ipad and my rig runs hackintosh but after all is said and done windows is a better option. its cheaper, has a better selection of programs for it, and is a mile, an absolute mile better for gaming. yes mac is a good os yes you can replace most of the programs that are not compatible or you can run wine to help but at the end of the day windows just makes more sense.  

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Apple requested special GPU for the iMAC from Nvidia, so Nvidia made GTX 680MX only for apple, the normal GTX 680M is a desktop GTX 670 gpu, while the GTX 680MX is made from a desktop GTX 680 gpu. now you would expect the iMAC to have better performance than any laptop with 680M, but what apple did to be able to handle the 680MX, is down clocking the gpu to the point where 680M is better than their 680MX.

It's not $1000

It's $650

post-1006-0-24904200-1400411532.png

There is a 500 dollar difference in price. And for that, you get slower hardware.

Back to my first laptop i suggested it is $1000 less and will perform just as good if not better im pretty sure thats what OPs point was in the first place apple spends money on things that arent going to make the laptop perform better.

It's 750, not 1000.

post-1006-0-24904200-1400411532.png

For both:

• Worse build quality
  • Worse trackpad
  • Slower storage
  • Worse battery life
  • Lower res screen
  • Less colour-accurate screen
  • Arguably worse operating System, also can't run both OSX and Windows
  • Much thicker
  • Heavier
  • No Thunderbolt
  • No WiFi AC
  • No magnetic charger

Need I go on?

macbook pro

cant play games

Asus

$1000 cheaper

can play games 

lol

Asus

$1000 cheaper

can play games 

lol

When will you fanboys realise that what CPU/GPU a computer has vs. price does not automatically define it's value. It's sad that you still think like this. Never expect yourself to be taken seriously when you respond like that.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

When will you fanboys realise that what CPU/GPU a computer has vs. price does not automatically define it's value. It's sad that you still think like this. Never expect yourself to be taken seriously when you respond like that.

Cpu and gpus are just a number

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Cpu and gpus are just a number

While that's true, I'm not saying they aren't important; I'm saying that a computer's price is the sum of its design, engineering, R & D, aftersale support, spec, etc. - not just, 'oh it has an i7 and an 860m so it's better hurrrrr'.

From the top of my head. Even though it is 200 $ more isn't this razer more pc (http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade) for the money? Specs/performance wise. Not that I really know but I would think so. And the thunderbolt, for me personally isn't a valid reason to say that the MBP is better or a better notebook for the money.

Ok to much over to apply that well for comparison but still mentinoning it, MZI 3k notebook

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-Ghost-Pro-15-6-Inch/dp/B00JSA1PH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400418052&sr=8-1&keywords=GS60+2PE+Ghost+Pro+3K+Edition

Just 1080p but still cheaper and good specs.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-GHOST-PRO-052-9S7-16H212-052/dp/B00JKCHT1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400418144&sr=8-1&keywords=GS60+2PE+Ghost+Pro

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-GS70-2OD-002US-17-3-Inch/dp/B00EON4OH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400418165&sr=8-1&keywords=GS70+2PE+Stealth+Pro

I'd actually like to get an iPhone 5S, but I'd go with a 2-year contract, just because it seems to be cheaper in the long run.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

..I go to their site and the laughable price tags bring me back to my senses.

-snip-

2 Grand and not even a proper dedicated GPU for a "pro" machine..AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Luckily I bought the medio 2012 MacBook pro with Retina. 8GB RAM and a GTX650M... For a lower price lol.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Horses for courses - I would argue that most mac products are completely useless when it comes to gaming; if you want something that's designed for media and aesthetics then...Mac is a fairly valid choice for some. I, However *know* that I can build a computer with similar specifications for less money.

Then of course, aside from the (for me) exorbitant costs of an apple product in no way justifies the fact that Apple locks me down to using the hardware they want me to use - if I want to upgrade in many cases, I need to ask a mac genius or upgrade the whole machine.

We have the same argument with console machines - sure, you could argue that they're cost effective...Until you factor in peripherals, games, subscription costs. My point is that in the long run, you're often better off building your own computer.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

Horses for courses - I would argue that most mac products are completely useless when it comes to gaming.

Realistically, correct, but the kicker is this: they are not designed for gaming

It's like comparing a rally car to a formula 3 car for use on a track. They're intended for different purposes, there's no point.

Then of course, aside from the (for me) exorbitant costs of an apple product in no way justifies the fact that Apple locks me down to using the hardware they want me to use

No one's forcing you to buy anything, not even apple.

My point is that in the long run, you're often better off building your own computer.

Incredibly subjective.

Realistically, correct, but the kicker is this: they are not designed for gaming

Funny...I could have sworn I said that. Oh. Wait:

if you want something that's designed for media and aesthetics then...Mac is a fairly valid choice for some.

Look at that. It's incredible what you can achieve by giving more than a cursory glance at a post.

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

Finally someone sad it

Funny...I could have sworn I said that. Oh. Wait:

Look at that. It's incredible what you can achieve by giving more than a cursory glance at a post.

I was agreeing with you, don't try to make an argument from nothing. I probably should have said, 'and the kicker is', not, 'but the kicker is'...

I was agreeing with you, don't try to make an argument from nothing.

Ah right, I'm sorry. It's hard to read subtext over the internet sometimes, and I had concluded you were being confrontational to my post.

Show me a better laptop for the price then, if it's so 'laughable'.

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/90813

I too was quite surprised when I found this laptop, but it looks pretty good IMHO.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB