10Gbps Ethernet adapter advice

kevinj93

I have the Asus Z790-F motherboard which supports max 2.5gbps ethernet. My ISP has recently started offering 4gbps fiber optics connection, so I'm looking for a reliable 10gbps ethernet adapter for a max. of 150 euros. Googling it gave me lots of different options, so I'm here for some advice. Any suggestions?

18 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

My ISP has recently started offering 4gbps fiber optics connection

why though? at this point, why are you not just going with "not the most high end package"?

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

why though? at this point, why are you not just going with "not the most high end package"?

I'm a heavy downloader and the price difference is only a mere 12 euros a month, so I don't see why not xD

2 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

I'm a heavy downloader and the price difference is only a mere 12 euros a month, so I don't see why not xD

do you need the ability to download the entire capacity of a 2TB drive in just over an hour?

in fact.. do you use any service that'll let you saturate such a fat link?

1 hour ago, kevinj93 said:

How many people live in your house? Plans like this are for MANY people to download at the same time, not a single person. Nearly every server that you connect to will not be pushing data at you this fast.

26 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

How many people live in your house? Plans like this are for MANY people to download at the same time, not a single person. Nearly every server that you connect to will not be pushing data at you this fast.

3 people, 2 of them are heavy streamers. And there's me who downloads/uploads a lot (NAS server). I'm aware that we might not be saturating the 4gbps fully, but since the price difference is not that big, I always take the best package available.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

do you need the ability to download the entire capacity of a 2TB drive in just over an hour?

in fact.. do you use any service that'll let you saturate such a fat link?

Yeah, why not. I can use all the bandwidth there is, so it will not be a waste.

2 minutes ago, kevinj93 said:

Yeah, why not. I can use all the bandwidth there is, so it will not be a waste.

that's my point.. you actually cant make use of this bandwidth.. which is my hunch as for why it's supposedly such a great deal from your ISP.

1 hour ago, kevinj93 said:

3 people, 2 of them are heavy streamers. And there's me who downloads/uploads a lot (NAS server). I'm aware that we might not be saturating the 4gbps fully, but since the price difference is not that big, I always take the best package available.

Even with 3 steamers, I doubt you ever hit 4gbs. If all three of you are downloading from steam at the same time, you might do it, but even that is unlikely.

This is the 10gb NIC I personally use. I work for an ISP so i've been testing 10gb fiber in my home with this and am limited by the Optic in our network cabinet and reliably get 7-8gbps up and down with it.

https://www.owc.com/solutions/10g-ethernet-pcie-network-adapter

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Even with 3 steamers, I doubt you ever hit 4gbs. If all three of you are downloading from steam at the same time, you might do it, but even that is unlikely.

Streaming bitrates are anaemic, three streamers wont hit 100Mbit even if everyone is streaming in 4K. Although as streaming buffers, you will generally see bursts as high as the server allows then nothing for several seconds.  So its hard to observe what the average works out to.

Downloading from Steam on multiple clients is one of the few situation where they probably will saturate the link, although odds are that 4Gbit is coming over something like XGS-PON where you might be sharing 10Gbit with 64+ others users on the fibre during peak hours so its definitely not guaranteed.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Intel NICs are the best then chelsio. Have had issues with tp-link and Asus cards (drop connection under large sustained transfers). The newer Gen Intel ones support multi gig Ethernet as in 2.5/5gb connections.

4 hours ago, Bdavis said:

Intel NICs are the best then chelsio. Have had issues with tp-link and Asus cards (drop connection under large sustained transfers). The newer Gen Intel ones support multi gig Ethernet as in 2.5/5gb connections.

Yeah the ASUS Aquantia/Marvell cards for some reason are completely unstable on Windows but work fine on Linux.  In fact I had less problems with mine on Linux than an Intel which was bizarre.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7