Meta is taking another hit from European Privacy

SnurrDass

Summary

Meta is no facing another privacy hit for EU by the crack down no Behavioral Advertising

Quotes

This summer the Norwegian Data Protection Authority ordered Meta to stop the use of Norwegians' personal data for behaviour-based advertising. The technology giant, which owns Facebook and Instagram, has since August received one million in daily fines for not following the decision.

Since then, the supervisory authority has asked the Personal Data Protection Council in the EU (EDPB) for a binding urgent decision. This decision makes the authority's decision permanent and valid for the entire EEA area. Previously, the decision only applied to Norway and only for a temporary period.

My thoughts

Think this a good thing that Meta/Google and others in the same category, finaly get controlled by rules/laws.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-31/meta-faces-european-privacy-crackdown-on-behavioral-advertising#xj4y7vzkg
https://nrkbeta-no.translate.goog/2023/10/31/forbud-mot-meta-om-bruk-av-persondata-utvides-til-hele-eos/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

/SnurrDass

ASUS/i7/32/1080ti

HPE Sl4540 20c/32

HPE DL180 G9 24c/128
HPE ML350 G9 24c/512

Storinator45 V2 Unraid i7/64/

2 hours ago, SnurrDass said:

Think this a good thing that Meta/Google and others in the same category, finaly get controlled by rules/laws.

If @Barrelson is right about the currency conversion. Meta could just pay the fine and continue on as business as usual. Im sure eventually maybe the fines will increase to something they might take issue with, but fines don't really work unless they are very hefty.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 minutes ago, Barrelson said:

Daily fines are in 1 000 000 NOK, which is around 90k USD

how much is meta making / day? 

this seems ridiculously low

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

45 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

how much is meta making / day? 

this seems ridiculously low

@Donut417 @Mark Kaine Norway has a population of 5.5 million and these are daily fines, so they need to earn 30*90K USD = 2.7 million USD each month or 32 million USD each year.
I don't think you can check how much Meta earns in Norway, but I think they feel this quite hard.

I think what is lost here is that the Norwegian Data Protection Authority has asked and been granted this "ban" to be permanent and EEA wide by the EDPB. That means that the EDPB will now implement this ban in the next two weeks in the rest of the EEA area (EEA = European Economic Area, EU + some other European countries).

When the EDPB implements this ban, we'll see what the fines will be. Since the point is to ban this behavior, I think Meta will be hit much harder than 90K daily fines. Meanwhile, this decision allows the Norwegian Data Protection Authority to continue its daily fines.

This mechanism is a new "emergency mechanism" thats part of the GDPR regulation and its the first time its been used, so we don't know what will happen, from the second article:

- Yes, it is actually correct to use the word historic. It is the first time that the emergency mechanism has been used under the GDPR and it was the Norwegian supervisory authority that got through the decision, which now ends with a ban throughout Europe. It has never happened before, says Vebjørn Søndersrød, who is a partner in the law firm Føyen.

Good job Norwegian Data Protection Authority! 🙂

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

It would be funny if Zuck had enough of the fines and just shut down their services there.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition