Is the gpu to hot

Steppi Nick
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Your GPU being used as close to 100% as possible is what you want. If you want to have less usage, you'll need to either limit frame rate in game/driver or use something like VSync to limit it to the monitor's refresh rate (assuming it is lower than what you achieve without it). Otherwise, it is designed to run as fast as it can.

The term "bottleneck" typically refers to being CPU limited, where the GPU can't reach close to 100% usage, because the CPU isn't fast enough in sending work its way.

If you were to buy a new GPU, it would also run at 100% usage (provided you're not running into a CPU limit now), simply at a higher frame rate. If a faster GPU would be well below 90% usage, you're effectively being CPU limited and would now need to upgrade your CPU again. You can repeat this cycle until you've bought the best of each currently available. In which case you'll still be either GPU or CPU limited.

Hello there just a quick question i have a I9-9900k and a 2080 super in my computer. And my CPU usage is mostly on 50% and my gpu usage on 90-100% i guess it is bottlenecking. Should i buy a new GPU?

And my GPU gets really loud and hot arround 80-90C°  my airflow is nearly perfekt i dont have fotos rigth now so i can just say i have the crystal series 680x as my case (I have the 2080Super From Gigabyte the foto below)My build is farely old i builded it in august 2020 

Edit: thanks for helping me everyone on Quote on quote ''bottleneck'' problem that help me alot my only question now is, is it normel that the GPU gets that hot and loud

edit edit : Big thanks to eigenvektor solving both problems i now know that i need to repaste my GPU cause it seems like the gigabyte 20 series have all the same problem with the paste

718EXP3wnBL.jpg

It's much better to be limited by the GPU than the CPU.

And there will be something that is a "bottleneck" no matter what, and it changes from game to game.

Stop thinking about it as much. 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Your GPU being used as close to 100% as possible is what you want. If you want to have less usage, you'll need to either limit frame rate in game/driver or use something like VSync to limit it to the monitor's refresh rate (assuming it is lower than what you achieve without it). Otherwise, it is designed to run as fast as it can.

The term "bottleneck" typically refers to being CPU limited, where the GPU can't reach close to 100% usage, because the CPU isn't fast enough in sending work its way.

If you were to buy a new GPU, it would also run at 100% usage (provided you're not running into a CPU limit now), simply at a higher frame rate. If a faster GPU would be well below 90% usage, you're effectively being CPU limited and would now need to upgrade your CPU again. You can repeat this cycle until you've bought the best of each currently available. In which case you'll still be either GPU or CPU limited.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

its the other way around,  you're probably cpu bound so a better gpu would make it worse!

25 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

We need to stop using the word bottleneck wrong

FTFY! 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

47 minutes ago, Steppi Nick said:

Hello there just a quick question i have a I9-9900k and a 2080 super in my computer. And my CPU usage is mostly on 50%

20210731_180956.jpg.f2a2466dd2666d251d5156300875ef8f.thumb.jpg.59372ee59060107ae8e3d2840e265c85.jpg

"only 12% cpu usage"

right??

(i probably need a better gpu... )

Spoiler

just for  clarification:  cpu is hardcore maxed out here and *clearly* the limiting factor despite "12%" overall usage 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

FTFY! 🙂

No, 'bottlenecked' is used by too many who hear the word but don't understand what's going on.

If you know how to understand what GPU / CPU usage is then you don't need to use the word.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

No, 'bottlenecked' is used by too many who hear the word but don't understand what's going on.

If you know how to understand what GPU / CPU usage is then you don't need to use the word.

yeah, but fear helps feeding consumerism , so that'll never stop. it would preferable to use words appropriately therefore and teach people who don't understand them what they actually mean. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Steppi Nick said:

Should i buy a new GPU?

Nope.

Your GPU is designed to run at 100% all the time.

Actually, if it isn't running at 100% then either the game is poorly optimised OR your CPU is the bottleneck.

And on the topic of bottlenecking, just don't bother with this. Its a dammed buzz word that's gained far too much traction in recent months and is sending people down unnecessary rabbit holes.

Your 9900k + 2080 super is a good match. My 9900k is paired with a 3080ti and neither appears to be negatively affecting the other.

C

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

In which case you'll still be either GPU or CPU limited.

24 minutes ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Actually, if it isn't running at 100% then either the game is poorly optimised OR your CPU is the bottleneck.

Except if you then hit the game engines limit and neither end up being fully utilised. 😉

As mentioned already, there is always a bottleneck somewhere or we'd have infinite performance.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

thank you everyone who anwered my question the only thing i'm worried about is  it normal that i my GPU gets that hot cause the quote on quote ''Bottleneck'' isn t much off a problem than

27 minutes ago, Steppi Nick said:

thank you everyone who anwered my question the only thing i'm worried about is  it normal that i my GPU gets that hot cause the quote on quote ''Bottleneck'' isn t much off a problem than

80-90°C is fairly toasty. From what I could find the 2080S has a TjMax of 89°C (i.e. the maximum temp it should reach; it should normally throttle itself to keep below that)

There are multiple things you can try to lower temps:

• Check if the card's fans and heat sink are dusty, clean accordingly (as well as the rest of the machine)
  • Improve ventilation in the case (e.g. more/better case fans), so that the card's coolers have more fresh/colder air available
  • Potentially repaste the card, its compound might have dried out
  • Reduce the power limit of the card, with something like Afterburner(1)
  • Limit the card's maximum frame rate it runs at

1) If you combine power limit and undervolting, you don't even necessarily lose performance

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

80-90°C is fairly toasty. From what I could find the 2080S has a TjMax of 89°C (i.e. the maximum temp it should reach; it should normally throttle itself to keep below that)

There are multiple things you can try to lower temps:

• Check if the card's fans and heat sink are dusty, clean accordingly (as well as the rest of the machine)
  • Improve ventilation in the case (e.g. more/better case fans), so that the card's coolers have more fresh/colder air available
  • Potentially repaste the card, its compound might have dried out
  • Reduce the power limit of the card, with something like Afterburner(1)
  • Limit the card's maximum frame rate it runs at

1) If you combine power limit and undervolting, you don't even necessarily lose performance

My old RTX 2060 got pretty toasty under full load unless I set a pretty aggressive fan curve. I re-pasted it before I sold the pre-built that it was in and the paste was completely dry. Re-pasted it and it didn't have to turn up the fan past 60% anymore when before I needed around 80% and had worse temps. A sign of dry paste is if the initial jump if you fully load it is very high (like >20°C)