ONEXPLAYER 2 Pro - AMD® Ryzen™ 7 7840U

kengofu

Looking for some hands on feed back from anyone that has use this ONEXPLAYER 2 Pro - AMD® Ryzen™ 7 7840U the good and or bad.........😶‍🌫️plz and thx

Overall, it's fantastic. Being able to not only have all day battery life on site at work, but playing wireless vr (even half life alyx) on integrated graphics is mind blowing. There are some struggles with poorly optimized games like Fallout 76, but using 720 with medium settings and driver upscaling brings it up to par. The OneX utility's driver unfortunately does show up as vulnerable, and being a network engineer I'm not taking chances on it. the Turbo button will still toggle to 30watt when the utility isn't running/installed.

The build is very impressive, even if it is a pain to get into it. They use thermal paste and an aluminum heat sink on a copper spreader, which is ok, swapping to a graphene pad made enough difference to keep it nearly silent at 15watts. The fan's defaults are fairly aggressive.

There were some issues with AMD not supporting the chip for the first few months, but they have finally started releasing direct support in their drivers, no need to force install the Z1 chip's driver.

The pen.... I don't know what's going on there, maybe mine's faulty, half the time it doesn't want to play ball, but when it works it's a nice to have.

The keyboard is nice for it's size, and despite being itty bitty, the track pad works with standard gestures, although it's mounted as a keyboard combo and doesn't allow the scroll gesture to be put back to regular direction.

The speakers aren't as loud as I expected for their size, and with the sound processor being realtek, there's nothing to configure.

The port selection is great, stereo headset port, top usb4 and type-A 3.? gen ?, bottom usb3+displayport. It works with all the docks my phone works with, plus my steal of a 2080 Super in a Razer Core X (thunderbolt 3 interface)

The Bios is, unfortunately, Locked down to bare minimum, and the SD slot isn't bootable (despite showing up as a boot selection).
      --This also means real standby cannot be enabled, you get Windows Modern bakery or Hibernate

I have yet to find a linux flavor that will play with RDNA3 (basically hit a full stop during boot with it complaining about the gpu).

I am an early adopter of the EVA version, so ymmv on the standard release. Maybe an unlocked bios?
I did grab the onexplayer 2's keyboard and keyboard case, it works fine with the onexplayer 2 pro. The EVA glyph keyboard doesn't look super readable.
My experience is based on using a fresh windows install on a 4tb drive, and minimal onexplayer software/driver use when an OEM driver was available.

TLDR; It's great, my childhood dream machine

Thank you

I appreciate this very much

my biggest thing is .. is it worth the price this will go a long way in finding this out before I buy my first handheld system 😍

That depends on your use case. 
For me, it was worth the price, and I paid extra to import te EVA variant. If you're going to use the extra features like the keyboard and pen, there's not an alternative.
If your looking for just handheld gaming, most people arent able to read the screen with scaling disabled, so the extra display resolution isnt needed or even useful at that point, and very few games will run at that full resolution.
There are smaller, lighter, and much cheaper options like the lenovo legion go that may fit your needs better. The Legion go uses a very similar chipset with nearly identical performance, for significantly cheaper.