NEED MORE ADVICE for Upgrade path for Ryzen 1700 & RX 580 8gb (October 2023)

EClinus1999

Budget (including currency): Around PHP 8,000-12,000 (between $140 - $210 USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

• GAMES: Cyberpunk 2077, Alan Wake 2, Dead Space (2023 Remake), Dying Light 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, The Quarry, or Games to be release for the next 2-3 years.
  • WORKLOADS: Vegas Pro 21, Adobe Photoshop, Android Studio, Virtual Machine, Livestream

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am open for any advice what should I upgrade because I'm starting to notice my gaming PC is aging. I'm having thoughts lately to upgrade as we're couple of months away from the holidays. I haven't made any major upgrades since late 2018. 

At the moment, I'm looking at getting a Ryzen 7 5700g CPU to replace my aging Ryzen 1700 (as this is the original CPU since I built this PC from day one back in 2017). As I might consider going GPU-less once I've upgraded to Ryzen 5700g or what is the best GPU upgrade for my aging RX 580 8gb GPU based on my needs and budget?

I've also checked Facebook marketplace, the average price of a "tray only" Ryzen 5700g is around $135-185 USD. 

Also, I'm still sticking to 1080p gaming and as I want to utilize my monitor's high FPS of 144hz as possible. Also, is it advisable for me to upgrade my RAM too? Should I stick to 2x8gb or should I consider upgrade to 2x16gb or 4x8gb?

Gaming-wise, I just wanted to make sure that my PC would handle newer title in the next few years would be nice. Also, that I would be able to upgrade to Windows 11 even though I'm not yet ready to ditch Windows 10, I just wanted to have the option that upgrade to Win11 is possible for my PC. I'll still stick to Windows 10 until then.

I'm planning to buy sometime this coming December or January 2024. 

Thank you.

CURRENT SPECS:

• CPU -- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (AM4) - Original CPU since the PC was built back in late 2017.
  • Motherboard -- Gigabyte GA-B450 Aorus Pro WiFi (BIOS: 60h - 04/FEB/2021, ryzen 5000 series ready!) (2nd motherboard, upgraded from 2020)
  • RAM -- G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz 2x8gb DDR4 Black HS, CL16 1.35v, pn: F4 3000C16D (2nd RAM, upgraded last October 2018)
  • GPU -- AMD RX580 8gb 256-Bit GDDR5 Asus Strix OC Edition 3 FAN Full RGB (Asus Aura) (2nd GPU since October 2018)
  • PSU -- Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W 80+ Bronze FULLY MODULAR (Original PSU)
  • MONITOR -- Asus ROG Swift XG27V VA Panel 27" 1080p Panel FREESYNC 144hz Curved Screen;  Dell U2412M IPS 60hz Monitor
  • Cooling -- NZXT Kraken Z63

5 minutes ago, EClinus1999 said:

As I might consider going GPU-less once I've upgraded to Ryzen 5700g or what is the best GPU upgrade for my aging RX 580 8gb GPU based on my needs and budget?

The 5700G's iGPU is significantly slower than the RX 580, it's not really a good idea to "upgrade" to a GPU-less system because of that. 

As for a CPU upgrade, if you can get a 5700X, 5800X, or ideally a 5800X3D in that budget instead of the 5700G, do that. The 5700G has much lower cache than those CPUs, so its overall performance is a fair bit worse. If it's significantly cheaper, then it might be worth going for, but otherwise you might as well get the faster option if you can use a dedicated GPU. 

7 minutes ago, EClinus1999 said:

Also, that I would be able to upgrade to Windows 11 even though I'm not yet ready to ditch Windows 10, I just wanted to have the option that upgrade to Win11 is possible for my PC. I'll still stick to Windows 10 until then.

Yeah, it's possible to once you get a new CPU. Even now it's possible, though the system might put up a bit of a fight doing an in place upgrade. 

8 minutes ago, EClinus1999 said:

lso, is it advisable for me to upgrade my RAM too? Should I stick to 2x8gb or should I consider upgrade to 2x16gb or 4x8gb?

RAM usage is going up for modern games, so getting more RAM isn't a bad idea. If you aren't using more RAM though, your current kit is probably fine, Ryzen 5000, especially the single CCD chips like the 5700X/5800X/5800X3D, wasn't super memory sensitive and 3000MT/s was OK enough for most people. 

26 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 5700G's iGPU is significantly slower than the RX 580, it's not really a good idea to "upgrade" to a GPU-less system because of that. 

As for a CPU upgrade, if you can get a 5700X, 5800X, or ideally a 5800X3D in that budget instead of the 5700G, do that. The 5700G has much lower cache than those CPUs, so its overall performance is a fair bit worse. If it's significantly cheaper, then it might be worth going for, but otherwise you might as well get the faster option if you can use a dedicated GPU. 

Yeah, it's possible to once you get a new CPU. Even now it's possible, though the system might put up a bit of a fight doing an in place upgrade. 

RAM usage is going up for modern games, so getting more RAM isn't a bad idea. If you aren't using more RAM though, your current kit is probably fine, Ryzen 5000, especially the single CCD chips like the 5700X/5800X/5800X3D, wasn't super memory sensitive and 3000MT/s was OK enough for most people. 

Thank you for this. 

Is 16gb still the norm or the recommended RAM capacity for gaming like back in 2017/2018? I'm already out of touch, I'm not sure anymore which is the norm. Honestly, it is still fine for me until now. 

Okay, if I follow your advice, I'll take 5700x. Will I face a bottleneck issue if I'm still using my old RX 580 8gb? I just don't have the budget just yet to buy a new GPU. But when the time comes, what would be the best upgrade path for it?

Just now, EClinus1999 said:

Is 16gb still the norm or the recommended RAM capacity for gaming like back in 2017/2018? I'm already out of touch, I'm not sure anymore which is the norm. Honestly, it is still fine for me until now. 

The standard recommendation nowadays is you can usually get away with 16GB, but you really want to have 32GB, especially given how cheap its gotten. If it's not giving you issues, don't upgrade, but if you're buying new RAM anyway I don't see a reason to only get 16GB.

2 minutes ago, EClinus1999 said:

Will I face a bottleneck issue if I'm still using my old RX 580 8gb?

You'll have a GPU bottleneck, but that's what you want. Every system has a bottleneck of some sort, else you'd have infinite FPS. Ideally it would be a bit closer for most games, but doing this upgrade in preparation for the 580 upgrade isn't a bad idea. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You'll have a GPU bottleneck, but that's what you want. Every system has a bottleneck of some sort, else you'd have infinite FPS. Ideally it would be a bit closer for most games, but doing this upgrade in preparation for the 580 upgrade isn't a bad idea. 

You're right, that's expected, considering my RX 580 is a couple of generations behind when Ryzen 5700x is out. I'll just have to make the most out of it. I just want to feel like I've done something new with my PC, that I can comfortably play games in the few years, want to have that performance like back in when this was 0-2 years old. 

All well said, thank you again.

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The standard recommendation nowadays is you can usually get away with 16GB, but you really want to have 32GB, especially given how cheap its gotten. If it's not giving you issues, don't upgrade, but if you're buying new RAM anyway I don't see a reason to only get 16GB.

Which begs the question, if I have already upgraded to 5700x, and when the time comes I'll upgrade my Rx580 to a newer one, what are your recommendations, if ever?

1 minute ago, EClinus1999 said:

Which begs the question, if I have already upgraded to 5700x, and when the time comes I'll upgrade my Rx580 to a newer one, what are your recommendations, if ever?

It will depend on your budget. At 1080P I'd feel fine running that chip with something up to like an RX 6800 XT, though admittedly you'd want to upgrade the PSU if you want to upgrade to that card. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Given the budget in play the 5600g and 5700g are fairly solid options. 
Yes, there's less cache but that'll probably NOT be a huge limiter unless there's a much faster video card in use and that's something that might not come for quite a while. 

I'm mainly familiar with US pricing but the 5600g in the US is a VERY well priced part. 

On the whole I can't comment on PH pricing and availability but with a similarish budget in the US I'd like do more CPU + RAM to exhaust my budget. 

On the whole, OP's system is fairly well balanced and I'd either consider a whole new system or just a handful of modest upgrades with the old part being sold off. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

5 minutes ago, cmndr said:

Given the budget in play the 5600g and 5700g are fairly solid options. 
Yes, there's less cache but that'll probably NOT be a huge limiter unless there's a much faster video card in use and that's something that might not come for quite a while. 

I'm mainly familiar with US pricing but the 5600g in the US is a VERY well priced part. 

On the whole I can't comment on PH pricing and availability but with a similarish budget in the US I'd like do more CPU + RAM to exhaust my budget. 

On the whole, OP's system is fairly well balanced and I'd either consider a whole new system or just a handful of modest upgrades with the old part being sold off. 

Yeah, I was mainly saying that if you already have a dGPU, and the price difference is only $10-20 (with the 5700G, it usually is only an extra $10-20 for the 5700X), you might as well get the better CPU. In the US (where I'm also very familiar with pricing) the 5700X is currently cheaper than the 5700G (albeit by 40c, but still)

20 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, I was mainly saying that if you already have a dGPU, and the price difference is only $10-20 (with the 5700G, it usually is only an extra $10-20 for the 5700X), you might as well get the better CPU. In the US (where I'm also very familiar with pricing) the 5700X is currently cheaper than the 5700G (albeit by 40c, but still)

Same here in the PH, it's only 100-200 php difference (about 1-3 usd), you're right. Even here, 5700x is slightly more expensive than the 5700g.