ISP NOT LETTING ME HAVE OPTION TO ENABLE DISABLE WIFI/ WLAN

Go to solution Solved by Heats with Nvidia,

I had a similar problem and solved it by buying my own router that is under my control, not that of my ISP.

I have airtel xstream fiber  
(AOT-4221SR router model)

I am having concerns regarding continuous exposure to RF/ MW all day long, I got a LAN cable and want to turn off WLAN/ Wifi from router. But I am unable to do so by logging into router. The checkbox is greyed out.
image.thumb.png.c2521a8bdae2f7328c3d25e785253e00.png
So I called my ISP, technician on that end were able to turn it on and off. But I want to do so myself. He tried to give me access but was unable to. I may frequently want to turn it on and off and will have to call them. That's the only option for now. I have tuned down the bandwidth for now from 40/80MHz. But I am unable to turn down transmission power. As I make it 20% , it turns itself to 100%.

Other services let customers do it. 

7 minutes ago, kadxprime said:

I have airtel xstream fiber  
(AOT-4221SR router model)

I am having concerns regarding continuous exposure to RF/ MW all day long, I got a LAN cable and want to turn off WLAN/ Wifi from router. But I am unable to do so by logging into router. The checkbox is greyed out.
image.thumb.png.c2521a8bdae2f7328c3d25e785253e00.png
So I called my ISP, technician on that end were able to turn it on and off. But I want to do so myself. He tried to give me access but was unable to. I may frequently want to turn it on and off and will have to call them. That's the only option for now. I have tuned down the bandwidth for now from 40/80MHz. But I am unable to turn down transmission power. As I make it 20% , it turns itself to 100%.

Other services let customers do it. 

You can just wrap the thing in aluminium foil (or put it in a metal box) to effectively block the wifi

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

24 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

You can just wrap the thing in aluminium foil (or put it in a metal box) to effectively block the wifi

Harhar tin foil hat.

but seriously if you actually want to “turn on and off” the wireless often and quickly, a shielded box that you can place over it is going to be effective. Faster to walk over and remove the box than to log into a page and change a setting. (Depending on the size of the house).

Or as @Heats with Nvidia says, get your own router. You won’t get anywhere with most ISPs with the argument that other ISPs let customers do this because your ISP probably has no competition. Or else move to the competition.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

A full metal box stops most signal. It stops plenty that the biggest interference would be your neighbors stuff.

If your isp allows you can get your own router.

54 minutes ago, kadxprime said:

I am having concerns regarding continuous exposure to RF/ MW all day long,

You're not escaping radio waves or milliwaves anyway. It's not like they cause any harm as this stuff can and is produced by nature too. Besides you probably have a phone or an electronic appliance. I mean you have a computer. All that causes some form of this too.

You need A LOT of high wattage of these to even start doing any damage to you. Nothing that will just be there 😛

1 hour ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

I had a similar problem and solved it by buying my own router that is under my control, not that of my ISP.

This is a good solution . I got a call from engineer who installed broadband. He has asked me to wait a month as I've just installed it, and he will get in problem for replacing the router which is not faulty.
If that doesn't work, I will try having another router. Any tips on how to replace it or connect it with stock router modem?

30 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A full metal box stops most signal. It stops plenty that the biggest interference would be your neighbors stuff.

If your isp allows you can get your own router.

You're not escaping radio waves or milliwaves anyway. It's not like they cause any harm as this stuff can and is produced by nature too. Besides you probably have a phone or an electronic appliance. I mean you have a computer. All that causes some form of this too.

You need A LOT of high wattage of these to even start doing any damage to you. Nothing that will just be there 😛

I might believe that if I were using wifi for 20 years. But I get placebo effect when I've turned on wifi such as increase HBR . Or it may be long screen hours. Another reason for turning wifi on/off maybe to have a sense of control over network.

I contacted customer service, and asked to turn off 5Ghz WLAN. Instead he turned off SSID broadcasting( to which I responded that this doesn't work for turning off the wifi , instead hides it ) and he asked me to search it on youtube  .He later forwarded call to another one who helped me turn off 5Ghz bandwidth ( I guess?)

The latter asked me to find button behind the modem, there are no buttons in this router except for WPA. He told me to replace it with another router which has buttons for functions.

3 hours ago, kadxprime said:

Another reason for turning wifi on/off maybe to have a sense of control over network.

That’s what a good WiFi password is for… no one is going to crack WPA2 (the encryption used to secure WiFi traffic) if you use a good password. 

This thread sounds like you don’t really trust technology, and are trying to find ways to disable things without actually understanding what any of it does. Turning off SSID broadcasting doesn’t change anything for instance… your WiFi is still on exactly how it was before. Changing the MHz doesn’t change the power, I guess there could be an argument someone could attempt to incorrectly make that a lower frequency wave will have less probability of interfering with you, but this is not actual science, this is just tin foil hat nonsense. 

Wifi doesn’t “interact” with people. The waves just pass through us, and the waves that do happen to get stopped by your body don’t have enough energy to actually do anything. 

The way in which electromagnetic radiation can cause problems for biological tissue would either be via changing genetic structure, or from changing things at the atomic level via knocking electronics into different orbits. Wifi is not going to do either of these things. The sun gives off WAY more and WAY higher energy particles, and they do pass through you and occasionally are stopped by your body, they are called neutrinos. These have orders of magnitude more energy than WiFi, and they don’t cause any harm… 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Turning off SSID broadcasting doesn’t change anything for instance… your WiFi is still on exactly how it was before.

My bad , I forgot to mention that I told him that it doesn't turn off the wifi but hides it and I still can connect to it manually.

But I realised that my cellular hotspot uses the same frequency as router. I am not sure if it emits more or less RF/MW as I do not have any instrument to measure it.

3 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Wifi doesn’t “interact” with people. The waves just pass through us, and the waves that do happen to get stopped by your body don’t have enough energy to actually do anything.

It may be a placebo effect that is making me sick. Last year the adapter for my lamp was making noises ( as they do ) but I suffered from nausea.

But what concerns me is it has such a high speed even when I'm at other side of my house , where otherwise mobile hotspot would disconnect.

14 hours ago, kadxprime said:

Last year the adapter for my lamp was making noises ( as they do ) but I suffered from nausea.

Correlation is not causation.

14 hours ago, kadxprime said:

But what concerns me is it has such a high speed even when I'm at other side of my house , where otherwise mobile hotspot would disconnect.

That's not necessarily more power, it could be down to a better antenna design. 

Despite all the paranoia of the 90s, the non-ionizing RF radiation from cell phones and wireless networking are not dangerous. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.