F@H and CS1.6 Causing Computer to Freeze

I was folding and playing CS at the same time and suddenly my computer froze. I didn't think too much of it so I booted my computer up and did the same. Again, it froze on me, so I started to play around to see what was causing the problem. I figured out that folding and play CS at the same time wasn't a problem, however, when a smoke grenade goes off near or in front of me my computer would freeze. I have been playing on smoke disabled servers for a while now and the problem hasn't occurred since. Now I'm just curious as to why this happens.

Maybe it's something to do with the particle/smoke effect? I know when I play Metro 2033 if I throw a gernade and then watch it explode my FPS goes from 35ish down to about 10 until the smoke settles. Locking up completely is kinda strange though. I also pause my folding client whenever I'm playing a game just to get better performance in the game though.

"Wisdom III" AMD FX 8120 @ 4.1Ghz // Biostar TA990FXE // 16GB GeIL Black Dragon (8x2) // Saphire HD 7870 OC Edition // CORSAIR TX850M // Curcial M4 64GB (boot) // Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB (storage) // Cooler Master Hyper N 520 // Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

I would pause the folding client too however CS runs smoothly with it on so I leave it on.

I'm thinking it has to do with my system only running a 3770k without a discrete GPU. Normally when I'm not folding my FPS drops a bit when looking at smoke and drops significantly when I'm in smoke. So I'm guessing that the CPU might not be able to handle it when a smoke suddenly goes off close by.

Ya, definately sounds like your CPU and the onboard GPU are having an issue. Do you monitor your temperatures? I wonder if with folding and then having to draw all the effects is causing an overheating issue, which cause the system to lock up. Most times though with Thermal errors, the computer actually shuts itself down.

Are you overclocking at all? That could be another sign of instability. Anything in the event logs?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Right now I have turbo mode enabled so that pushes me up to 3.9ghz at 1.16v and my temps are around 60-63C on just folding alone, so I don't think it's an overheating issue.

Hmm.... only thing i can think of is reducing the number of threads/cores in smp (from "default or 8 threads" to 6 threads) in this situation.

Normally cpu/smp folding doesn't interfere with other programs but this might be that "unique" case.

If your not sure where to change the setting, I have guide from my team that covers this area. (click on the link and scroll down till you see "4.2 Slots:")

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34683-12-toms-hardware-folding-home-team-guide-testing#t499238

I think I should just pause it when gaming. I keep losing progress when it crashes.

Hmm.... only thing i can think of is reducing the number of threads/cores in smp (from "default or 8 threads" to 6 threads) in this situation.

Normally cpu/smp folding doesn't interfere with other programs but this might be that "unique" case.

If your not sure where to change the setting, I have guide from my team that covers this area. (click on the link and scroll down till you see "4.2 Slots:")

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34683-12-toms-hardware-folding-home-team-guide-testing#t499238

Thanks for the link warmon6

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I think I should just pause it when gaming. I keep losing progress when it crashes.
That is probably your safest bet. I do that also on my main rig when running a game, even though they run fine side-by-side.

It's kind of frustrating knowing that it's capable of running both simultaneously.

There just some things that can never be explained :(

Just gotta live with it.

Damn. :( CS:S works fine.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I have discovered that F@H has nothing to do with the crashes.

On turbo mode (3.9ghz), I crash while running CS even without F@H running. I've tried pausing and exiting it completely and I still get crashes. On normal stock 3.5ghz, I can run both at the same time and haven't experienced a crash. So this means that enabling turbo mode is causing these crashes. Does this mean turbo mode is unstable?

• 2 weeks later...

Try changing how many cores it utilizes. see if that helps. also try and change ambient occlusion settings.