May 16th 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Callouts

News Items FCC - Internet Fast Lane

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Rossco

Source 2: linustechtips.com OP: 13lackmoses (Black Moses)

Source 3: businessinsider.com

Source 4: washingtonpost.com

Source 5: reuters.com

- The FCC approved a proposal for an "internet fast lane".

- But based on yesterday’s 3-2 vote, most of the FCC commissioners are already on board.

- The proposal that: "companies that deliver content over the internet ... will be able to pay ... ISPs for direct access to customers"

- ISPs won't be allowed to purposefully slow down content from internet companies that don't pay them directly, but it is still an unfair advantage.

- Critics worry that it would mark the end of net neutrality, the concept that says all content should be treated equally by ISPs

- Smaller companies unable to pay the ISPs would be at a disadvantage.

- The final rules won't be set for several more months and the public can weigh in on the rules proposed by the FCC

- "Most advocates of net neutrality want broadband internet classified under Title II" like phone lines are ("public utility").

- "Internet service providers strongly oppose the idea." "The telecom companies argue that without being able to charge tech firms for higher-speed connections, they will be unable to invest in faster connections for consumers."

- "commissioners who voted yes on Thursday expressed some misgivings"

Watchdogs Resolution

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: deathjester

Source 2: blog.ubi.com

Source 3: christiantoday.com

- Why Watch Dogs is a "next-gen game" according to ubisoft.

- "We focused on what kind of experience players want to play next, ... more

important for me than defining what technology can do." - Ubisoft

- Runs at 900p on PS4 and 792p on Xbox One, both at 30fps

- To be released 27th of May, already delayed from November.

- Focus in this delay was never to "increase the resolution", but instead "polishing all aspects of the gameplay" - Ubisoft

- "it’s much more important to deliver an amazing next-gen experience than it is to push a few more pixels onto a screen."

- "In our case, dynamism is everything. Exploration and expression are everything."

Industrial Noctua Fans

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ssoele

Source 2: noctua.at

- Pictures and Pricing in Source 2.

- Redux fans light/dark grey colour scheme reminiscent of the brown colour scheme.

- Redux edition comprises both 4-pin PWM and 3-pin versions of NF-P14, NF-S12B, NF-B9 and NF-R8.

- Industrial fans are 2000 RPM and 3000 RPM versions of the NF-F12 and NF-A14

- Industrial fans are made of fibreglass reinforced polyamide construction and certified water and dust protection (up to IP67).

New Xbox One and Xbox Gold Update

Source 1: linustechtips.com

Source 2: news.xbox.com

- Xbox One without Kinect announced.

- Costs $399 (as opposed to $500) starting 9th of June, in every market where xbox one is sold.

- You will be able to buy the kinect separately "later this fall".

- "Kinect remains an important part of our vision", "an average of 120 voice commands per month on each console"

- XBOX gold is no longer needed for "popular entertainment experiences" like Netflix, Hulu Plus

- This Applies to all Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners.

- Microsoft is adding "more value to Xbox Live Gold members" by giving them free games, and discounts to games like Ryse, Forza 5.

Adaptive-Sync

Source 1: linustechtips.com

Source 2: brightsideofnews.com

- Officially added to DP 1.2a Standard.

- Adaptive-Sync (a much more informative name) is what was once AMD’s Free Sync.

- Better power consumption (and battery life) out of displays.

- Implementation of Adaptive-Sync is being offered free without any licence fee.

- Compatible monitors expected in 6-12 months.

- Potential refresh ranges include 36-240Hz, 21-144Hz, 17-120Hz and 9-60Hz.

- DP 1.3 announcement is expected to come around late Q2/early Q3.

- DP 1.3 will be able to support 8K, however, they may have to change the connector to support 8K or 4K 3D

HL2 & Portal on Play Store

Source 1: anandtech.com

Source 2: play.google.com WARNING: PLAY STORE LINK

- Require Nvidia Shield or at least a Tegra 4 SoC.

- Nvidia sent out cakes to press.

- At the time of launch HL2 ran on the ATI X800 Pro/XT or Nvidia’s 6800 GT/Ultra

- The Tegra 4 chip should be faster in theory.

- The two games will cost about $10 each on android, the same price as they cost on steam.

GREAT notes

NSA and GCHQ can view Tor browser usage

Source 1: digitaljournal.com

- Microsoft professional warned that the Tor browsing network is no longer impenetrable by the NSA

- Andy Malone: "If hackers and government agencies want you, they will get you."

- "Although Tor had not yet been cracked, hackers were able to access data from the program through hijacking insecure addon such as Flash and Java.

- Increasingly the .onion sites (sites only accessible through the Tor network) are being hijacked by law-enforcement agencies as people visit the site, their details are recorded and returned to the NSA.

- Malone said that law enforcement agencies are actively working on more direct ways to penetrate the Tor network and monitor its users.

- "I work with, and issue recommendations for, law enforcement" said the Microsoft Professional

VR for Livestock

Source 1: techcrunch.com

Source 2: theverge.com

- Pictures/Video in Source 1.

- A designer is proposing combating poor livestock conditions with a fictional company and service “Second Livestock”.

- A combination of Oculus Rift and Second Life.

- Designed to give livestock the impression they are living a wonderful free range life.

Z97 and H97

Source 1: theinquirer.net

- Two new “9-series” chipsets, Z97 and H97.

- Z97 supports overclocking with unlocked CPUs and H97 doesn’t.

- 9-series chipsets offer increased data transfer speeds for storage drives, now supporting the M.2 specification allowing them to drive two PCI-E 2.0 lanes giving them up to 1GBps bandwidth compared to 600MBps in the 8-series chipset.

- Same connectivity options; 14 USB ports, six of which can be USB 3.0, up to six SATA III ports an integrated gigabit Ethernet controller and eight PCI E 2.0 lanes.

- Intel has upgraded it’s smart response technology SRT, supporting hybrid hard drives with integrated flash storage. Previously the feature required separate HDD and SSD drives on separate connectors.

- Broadwell is expected to bring a 30% increase in power efficiency.

- The 9-series chipsets are essentially made to keep high-end users happy while the firm readies Broadwell 14nm 5th generation processors which will significantly improve the performance of laptops, convertibles and tablets.

Questions for JJ

- “Example Question” - Display Name @handleson

- From Omid on the forum - why expansion card for TB2 vs onboard, why better OC & temps on Z97 vs Z87 for same Haswell chips?

So long but so good!

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

The best part was all the (unintentional) rapper references! Everytime Linus mentioned the Asus JZ, Slick was doing a good job biting down a smile and exercising restraint until the other two showed up.  :D

Linus would it be possible to link the different topics you talked about in the video to the aproximate starting time? The way you did with some pc build guide videos :)

It would be easier for people to find the content they are truly interested in. 

@LinusTech , i think u proven the quality of the asus laptop in this video, u opened and closed the screen more than 50 times and u do it fast, any other bad quality laptop wouldn't survive this show :P.

Thoughts watching this - holy balls on the Noctua fans, nothing else matters, full stop, end of discussion. Black fits with everything, Noctua performs better than everything, they're a reasonable price, nothing else matters.

The ISP in Australia thing - True, everything sucks. The way we're market the "next-gen" of internet, I mean, internet speeds are just a number right? And 20mbits is to internet what 792p is to resolution

And, liquid food. Curious, but no. Just no.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Do you get more revenue from youtube if I turn off ad block when watching your videos on youtube O.o? If so I will be turning of ad block on youtube

omg i made an appearance on the WAN show :o:P  B)

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

792p. Nuff said.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

"Resolution is just a number" ;D

Inspires so many other phrases...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

About the ISP strawpoll it also lines up with New Zealand's time quite well as we are only something like two hours ahead and internet over here used to be worse than Australia but thanks to the Governments Fibre Optic Initiative I'm enjoying a 100 mb/s Internet Connection and over in New Zealand are ISP's do not seem to throttle websites

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

they need do the t-shirt "penis size, is just a number"  :lol: lol

http://youtu.be/Zg5wtNcRdnE?t=20m34s

You said that people won't get the full experience without the proper hardware to handle it but people won't be getting the "full" experience even with the hardware because of the random DLC that all the different vendors have exclusive if you buy from them. Tis a shame really.

How many hours of battery life does the G750JZ have?

Hi Linus, I'd love the option to have your show in MP3 format so I could listen it on the go. Hope you'll consider this outlet, thanks. Keep up the great job :)

Hello, how are you guys:)

I have a question about the ASUS G750 series gaming laptops. Seems like this could be the place where I might actually get a credible answer (specially with the ASUS expert you had on your show (JJ))

In my opinion, ASUS g750 series are the best solution out there for gaming laptops at the moment.

Why?.... almost all of it boils down to the fact that this laptop offers good cooling (as I've read on the internet, seems to be the best in this calibrate )

Most of the other high end laptops out there, right now, seem to be these high performing machines crammed into small plastic cases the size of a nickle, which are major heat bombs that will cause over heating, stutters and if you live in a dusty environment those small air exhausts will get clogged up quickly, making it even more vulnerable to malfunction.

So, most will agree ASUS G750 is a joy in this department. Even linus and SlickPC can hold these pc's on their laps without getting "Hot legs".

Everything else,except one thing, seems to be in check as well:

Nice design

powerful specs

good key layout

Battery life

etc

But that "one thing" that bothers me which I can't look past (literally) is the screen...

Why, oh why did they have to go with the TN panel! Why couldn't they use IPS or possibly better. 

Nowadays, the excuse to use TN for gaming is not valid anymore since the IPS is so close in those aspects that it's almost indistinguishable. But the image quality is quite noticeably better on the IPS screen, and since the Gaming nowadays is, mostly, all about the graphics... then no matter how powerful the rig, one can't help to wonder if the same game wouldn't or would look better on an IPS screen. A total bottleneck for me.

Also, me doing a lot of video editing is another huge reason why I want an IPS screen (or better... is there better... AMVA?)

So, THE MAIN QUESTION IS:

Is ASUS planning to release a gaming laptop with equally good cooling/specs, but with a IPS panel any time soon? (or better)

I'm looking for a laptop, and my eyes are set on the ASUS G750jz, but I will NOT buy it because of the TN panel, but I also wont buy any other product out there atm, because of the terrible cooling solutions they offer and some other few, less significant reasons. 

So, I'm kind of stranded here.

I know that if I'll get the G750JZ now and later some other model comes out (even if slightly less powerful) with IPS panel and equivalent cooling, I will sell the JZ one and get the IPS one. But that's a hustle I don't need nor want.

Sorry for the rant here, but this is major for me, specially if the product seems so good in every other aspect. 

p.s

Which is the thread JJ (ASUS representative from the latest WAN show) said that he will log in and respond to some questions in the evening? Maybe I'l post there.

Linus this was a really shitty show this week. too tired? or was it that stinking faux cigarette? Please, no more of that shit.

Tek Sydicate...... why are they so good? professionalism.......... they have a lot of good stuff to talk about.... every vid/every week. need to add intelligence, especially the guy whos eyes are the only thing you see between the monitors.

your shows are reasonably good but not this one. looked a lot like I was watching jayztwocents............. he's good alone but not in  a duet. his shows are never put together. it's like 2 inept strangers met at a party.......... if you can't have a good show don't have one every Friday.

Linus this was a really shitty show this week. too tired? or was it that stinking faux cigarette? Please, no more of that shit.

Tek Sydicate...... why are they so good? professionalism.......... they have a lot of good stuff to talk about.... every vid/every week. need to add intelligence, especially the guy whos eyes are the only thing you see between the monitors.

your shows are reasonably good but not this one. looked a lot like I was watching jayztwocents............. he's good alone but not in  a duet. his shows are never put together. it's like 2 inept strangers met at a party.......... if you can't have a good show don't have one every Friday.

What did he do wrong tho...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

And, liquid food. Curious, but no. Just no.

Orange juice. Milk. Smoothies. Nearly all drinks are just liquid food.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ummm

Will this thread get some attention later?

Or this is the end of it?