Google's New 'iPager' Ad Shames Apple for not adopting RCS

TheawesomeMCB

Summary

Once again Google is calling out Apple for not adopting RCS, by presenting an iPager, an way showing Apple they are using ‘outdated technology’

Google is continuing on with its relentless #GetTheMessage marketing campaign in an attempt to get Apple to adopt the RCS messaging protocol. In its latest ad, Google shows off the "iPager," which Google describes as a device that "uses outdated messaging tech" like Apple uses "when texting with Android."

My thoughts

Honestly I don’t think Apple is still going to budge. However if the EU investigation shows that Apple needs to make messaging more connected between competitors that may change. It’s just really amusing that Google went this far to shame Apple to pretty much say their messages between iPhone and android are from technology from the 1920s, making Apple look bad.

Sources

http://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/21/google-ipager-ad-rcs-apple/

This feels like an America-only issue because for the rest of the world, nobody cares about green/blue text bubbles as if the ones in green are second class citizens because most of us use third-party chatting apps that are cross platform such as Whatsapp, Telegram, and Signal.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

This feels like an America-only issue because for the rest of the world, nobody cares about green/blue text bubbles as if the ones in green are second class citizens because most of us use third-party chatting apps that are cross platform such as Whatsapp, Telegram, and Signal.

I will never ever get this. iphone user for 10+ years by now with 95% iphone users in my inner circle. iMessage couldn't be less relevant for us. Heck why would we ever use it, when it took Apple so gosh darn long to even remotely catch up with implementing important features, both in general and in particular in regards to group chats. Even now I think it's annoying to use, too many animations, space/gaps everywhere, cluttered with sticker/memoji BS.

What the fuck is all this supposed to be

image.thumb.jpeg.fc6bffa47c1475fc8e1aab6003d6221c.jpeg

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

From what I've read, it's a big deal in the dating scene. Yes, people are shallow.

42 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

"Glyphs of confusion". Just ignore them.

28 minutes ago, StDragon said:

From what I've read, it's a big deal in the dating scene in America. Yes, people are shallow.

FTFY

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

-= Moved to GD =-

Not tech news.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Its not the text bubble colors. Not switching to RCS means that images/vidoes that are sent across android are compressed all to hell to send. It also means a lot of functions dont work properly.

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

I will never ever get this. iphone user for 10+ years by now with 95% iphone users in my inner circle. iMessage couldn't be less relevant for us. Heck why would we ever use it, when it took Apple so gosh darn long to even remotely catch up with implementing important features, both in general and in particular in regards to group chats. Even now I think it's annoying to use, too many animations, space/gaps everywhere, cluttered with sticker/memoji BS.

-snip-

Tbf, Apple did majorly fix that on ios17, that alone was part of the reason i downloaded the beta months ago.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Out of curiosity what do you use?

For my iPhone friends we use iMessage exclusively because picture/video quality, tapback, read receipts, etc. When an Android friend is in a group message it breaks a lot of things since it falls back to cellular instead of Wifi/data messaging and picture message is TERRIBLE. Because of that, we turn to Discord or FB Messenger when it comes to vacation planning with the Android friends.

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Yes, it's 100% an America-only issue.

It's not the green/blue bubbles people care about. It's because texting reverts back to SMS-style and loses a lot of functionality. I love my iPhone and MacBook, and I hate that Apple does not support RCS.

We dumb Americans prefer using the "default" texting app on our phones. A lot of people have iPhones here, so iMessage is the American default (hence the blue vs green). And when people have Android phones here, it is not common knowledge to immediately use Discord or WhatsApp, so a lot of American Android users will use whatever their default messaging app is.

Being a green bubble isn't the problem. It's the lack of features because you're a green bubble.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Only use iMessage

Energetically will I meet enemies of the United States

10 hours ago, StDragon said:

From what I've read, it's a big deal in the dating scene. Yes, people are shallow.

Sounds good to me, it's an automated un-matcher. Why would you want to date someone who thinks like this?

22 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

Tbf, Apple did majorly fix that on ios17, that alone was part of the reason i downloaded the beta months ago.

WAY too late. IMHO that's not going to convince people to switch anymore.

18 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Out of curiosity what do you use?

WhatsApp. It has tons of useful features, especially in groups. The only downsides are catastrophically bad image and especially video quality plus the flakey chat backup function. Over recent privacy controvercies, few people have switched to Signal.