How are Youtubers being able to use over 10gb of memory ingame?

T3mpest
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
5 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

DiRT Rally 2.0 on the highest setting possible and also GTA V on the highest possible, i have a RX 5700 XT and a Ryzen 5 5600 and 32gb of ram. While gaming in total only 18gb of my 32gb is being used with all my other applications accounted for by "only use 10%" im talking about how the game only uses 3.2GB of my 32gb of ram while in game

Those are two games that are quite light on memory usage. GTA V is ancient at this point, and was designed when computers with only 4GB of RAM were commonplace. DiRT Rally 2.0 is also fairly old, and only calls for 8GB of RAM for the Recommended System Requirements. It shouldn't be surprising that these titles don't take advantage of 32GB of RAM.

I'm not sure why you are looking for games to use more memory, but if you want a game that uses more memory, try a simulation game like a big city in Cities Skylines or a modded version of Minecraft. Those are games that can suck back RAM like no tomorrow.

I have 32gb 3200mhz ram and youtubers are able to get over 10gb of ram usage on their 16gb set whilst my ram never goes above 18gb usage and games only use 10% how do i let games use more of my ram?

First of all, games using more RAM just for the sake of using more isn't a desirable thing. 

Second, this discussion is meaningless unless we get specific about the games being played, resolutions, graphical settings, etc.

Third, saying you have 18GB used of 32GB but also saying games "only use 10%" doesn't make any sense. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Most likely big programs or apps taking up the ram. You can also overclock your Ram in BIOS if it already isn't.

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

First of all, games using more RAM just for the sake of using more isn't a desirable thing. 

Second, this discussion is meaningless unless we get specific about the games being played, resolutions, graphical settings, etc.

Third, saying you have 18GB used of 32GB but also saying games "only use 10%" doesn't make any sense. 

DiRT Rally 2.0 on the highest setting possible and also GTA V on the highest possible, i have a RX 5700 XT and a Ryzen 5 5600 and 32gb of ram. While gaming in total only 18gb of my 32gb is being used with all my other applications accounted for by "only use 10%" im talking about how the game only uses 3.2GB of my 32gb of ram while in game

1 minute ago, DIO_BR4NDO said:

Most likely big programs or apps taking up the ram. You can also overclock your Ram in BIOS if it already isn't.

the highest amount of usage ive ever gotten through my memory sticks is only around 60%

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Disagree. Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Games that require high amounts of memory = bad

Games that utilize high amounts of memory= good

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

5 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

Those are two games that are quite light on memory usage. GTA V is ancient at this point, and was designed when computers with only 4GB of RAM were commonplace. DiRT Rally 2.0 is also fairly old, and only calls for 8GB of RAM for the Recommended System Requirements. It shouldn't be surprising that these titles don't take advantage of 32GB of RAM.

I'm not sure why you are looking for games to use more memory, but if you want a game that uses more memory, try a simulation game like a big city in Cities Skylines or a modded version of Minecraft. Those are games that can suck back RAM like no tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Disagree. Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Games that require high amounts of memory = bad

Games that utilize high amounts of memory= good

OP seems to think there is a fixed linear relationship between more RAM being used and performance going up. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Alright thank you cause i was wondering why youtubers with similar systems got higher usage out of their ram

19 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

I have 32gb 3200mhz ram and youtubers are able to get over 10gb of ram usage on their 16gb set whilst my ram never goes above 18gb usage and games only use 10% how do i let games use more of my ram?

depends on the game, games will only use as much ram as they need, games like minecraft are pretty ram intensive to if you wanted to increase the ram allowance on mincecraft than you can do the command -Xmx2G change the 2 to your desired ram but for other games the only way for them to use more ram is to play at a higher setting. just like @Middcore said high ram usage in a game is not necessarily desirable as your OS also needs some RAM especially windows 11 since it is such a memory hog. More ram ≠ more performace.

Games will only take more memory IF THEY NEED IT. You can't force them to just digest more Wamm. The reason some games or applications can scale their memory allocation, i.e., take more or less memory sometimes, is because of the available memory and the situation they are running in. If you have very less memory, then Windows and the game try their best to take less memory and adjust the memory using techniques like Page Filing. But if you have more memory, then sometimes applications can cache or load more things in memory to run faster or stably.

24 minutes ago, Middcore said:

OP seems to think there is a fixed linear relationship between more RAM being used and performance going up. 

This is a common misconception. People think more RAM is more SPEEEED!! But if you actually look up the benchmarks between 8 GB and 16 GB, you will see that if the game actually runs, then it will have very little difference between the actual fps you get, but 1% lows or stutters become more common as there is less caching or preloading, and active Page Filing. So, if you have enough memory, the game will run absolutely fine. If you have JUST enough memory, then fps will be not scale linearly, but stutters and load time will get more apparent. And if you don't have enough memory, the game might not even run or run extremely poorly. Memory scaling is not the same as CPU or GPU scaling. CPUs and GPUs scale linearly, i.e., the slower or faster your hardware is, the linearly performance changes.

39 minutes ago, T3mpest said:

how do i let games use more of my ram?

You can't make a software just eat more Wamm. Example, in the operation 2 + 2 = 4, you need 3 variables and some more memory for storing the instructions of how to calculate. How do you increase how much memory this operation takes? Either by increasing the number of variables and instructions (settings in games), or making it cache stuff like not deallocating the value "4", because it might be used later on. It's upon the application itself if they need more memory or not.

I remember the LTT video of 2 TB of ram in a system. Windows at boot took like 26.9 GB of memory. It was like " ya, lets dump the whole Windows directory on Ram because why not? We got infinite ram."

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

2 hours ago, T3mpest said:

Alright thank you cause i was wondering why youtubers with similar systems got higher usage out of their ram

Keep in mind, they ALSO have streaming + recording software running WHILE the game is running.

Those can easily eat up more Memory than the games itself.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>