This is Glorious!!

Plouffe
5 minutes ago, ChipInNC said:

PLEASE STOP LYING TO GET FREE ELECTRONICS FOR YOUR HOME!!!

SONOS does NOT support their old products!!! They are arrogant A-Holes that are turning their older, completely usable product into E-Waste on purpose, even if you only want to use it with a simple / dumb line-in connector!!!

Here's one article about them doing this from WIRED, there are MANY MORE out there: https://wired.me/gear/audio/older-sonos-speakers-will-stop-receiving-updates/

EEVBlog also did a couple of videos on this E-Waste producing company. See:
    "eevBLAB #44 - Sonos Deliberately Bricking Products!"
and
   "EEVblog 1519 - FREE Your Sonos Speaker! (HACK)".

Why would you have to Log in on a website and register a SPEAKER with SONOS (Which you CANNOT DO on older models) in order to use a simple / dumb line-in connection to a speaker?!?!?

Who is lying and how are they getting free electronics?

The sky is green, can I have free electronics?

2 hours ago, kuro68k said:

Where does the energy come from?

90% is hydroelectric.

Rates are as per the BC Hydro Residential Conservation Rates:

https://app.bchydro.com/accounts-billing/rates-energy-use/electricity-rates/residential-rates.html

A flat daily rate of $0.21/day (CDN) covers transmission, delivery, fees, etc.  The usage rates are based on a cheaper rate for the first 1350 kWh in a 60 day period, and then a more expensive rate for the usage over the discounted rate. 

4 hours ago, LTTMobileJake said:

I pay $0.0959 /kWh here, so about half your estimate

That‘s dirt cheap, but Linus‘ standby consumption will probably still cost him a 4-digit figure. About 10x what we pay in total for a 2-person household - at 30+ ct/kWh.

17 hours ago, ChipInNC said:

PLEASE STOP LYING TO GET FREE ELECTRONICS FOR YOUR HOME!!!

SONOS does NOT support their old products!!! They are arrogant A-Holes that are turning their older, completely usable product into E-Waste on purpose, even if you only want to use it with a simple / dumb line-in connector!!!

Here's one article about them doing this from WIRED, there are MANY MORE out there: https://wired.me/gear/audio/older-sonos-speakers-will-stop-receiving-updates/

EEVBlog also did a couple of videos on this E-Waste producing company. See:
    "eevBLAB #44 - Sonos Deliberately Bricking Products!"
and
   "EEVblog 1519 - FREE Your Sonos Speaker! (HACK)".

Why would you have to Log in on a website and register a SPEAKER with SONOS (Which you CANNOT DO on older models) in order to use a simple / dumb line-in connection to a speaker?!?!?

I think we're watching different videos...

First, Linus clearly stated that he purchased all the Sonos units with his own money. He bought them all used off Ebay, so he didnt get any of them for free.

Also he clearly stated that you can still use the old Sonos units, its just that they may not have all the latest and greatest features. He also mention that to use them, you will have to use an older version of the app.

While I don't know all the details with Sonos, it does appear that they attempted to drop support for their older devices. However, after community backlash they backtracked.

On 9/11/2023 at 12:30 AM, darwin006 said:

I love how Linus says "Sonos is very good at supporting their old products", as if they havent tired to stop supporting their products that they recently sold and havent intentionally bricked consumers products to force people to buy new.

Which ones? A friend of mine still has a Play:3 he bought at launch and works great. It's part of why I bought a pair of Sonos One SL speakers at launch (which I'm still very happy with).

3 hours ago, maplepants said:

Which ones? A friend of mine still has a Play:3 he bought at launch and works great. It's part of why I bought a pair of Sonos One SL speakers at launch (which I'm still very happy with).

I think I may have not remembered it exactly right but I think these are articles. And does seem like you can now go though Sonos support and unbrick a device that has been put in "recycle mode" or it also looks like people have found ways to "hack" devices that have been bricked with "recycle mode". And as far as the devices that they dont support, that support stopped back in May 2020 and I recall someone saying that a device that Sonos classified as "legacy" in 2020 was some something they where selling new back in 2018 but I cant find anything mentioning that ATM.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/30/21042871/sonos-recycle-mode-trade-up-program-controversy

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/21/21075043/sonos-software-updates-ending-play-5-connect-zone-players

11 hours ago, darwin006 said:

I think I may have not remembered it exactly right but I think these are articles. And does seem like you can now go though Sonos support and unbrick a device that has been put in "recycle mode" or it also looks like people have found ways to "hack" devices that have been bricked with "recycle mode". And as far as the devices that they dont support, that support stopped back in May 2020 and I recall someone saying that a device that Sonos classified as "legacy" in 2020 was some something they where selling new back in 2018 but I cant find anything mentioning that ATM.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/30/21042871/sonos-recycle-mode-trade-up-program-controversy

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/21/21075043/sonos-software-updates-ending-play-5-connect-zone-players

Interesting articles. The "recycle mode" screw up passed me by at the time it happened. But even these articles acknowledge Sonos' long support cycles.

The original Play:5, launched in 2009, is the only speaker on the list and thus becomes the first Sonos speaker to reach the end of the line for software support. Everything the company still sells today (including the aging Playbar) should have a long road of software updates to come.

I think the people in this thread mad about Linus saying Sonos offers long support timeframes are just grasping at straws and looking for a reason to be mad.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:45 PM, ToboRobot said:

I don't know but I don't know if that would actually be the case in this situation as it's a smart networked audio source, not just daisy chaining analogue sources. 

Each one of these amps counts as a network switch hop and thus adds latency with every hop.  Small devices like these can be have s small integrated three port switch (the two external ports you see on the rear of the device and the third port existing as a link on the main board).  A small integrated switch is generally good as it puts simple dedicated hardware to solve a simple problem but tends to cost more.  Additional latency is still there, just not terrible.  However I've seen devices like this use two standard NIC interfaces and are bridged in software.  Network traffic will still flow from one port to another but at relatively high latency vs. a switch chip.

Any sort of synchronization time clock has to be pass along instead of transmitted directly (think IEEE 1588 PTP).  If you have an audio over IP topology like AVB, the audio stream itself has a time-to-live counter embedded into it that counts the number switch of hops:  after a certain point it'll just stop working even if are under the latency maximum.  

• 5 months later...

What I’m most curious about is how Jake (I assume he did the design) did go about wiring them all up without causing any network issues.

As far as I know, once you connect a Sonos device to your wired network, it will create a SonosNet which basically is a 2.4Ghz WiFi network. All nodes will participate in that, creating their own network. Sonos uses STP to maintain a consistent loop free network. However, Linus has Ubiquiti Unifi in his home, AFAIK. They use RSTP. Even though they should be backwards compatible, they often don’t play nice together.

You can disable WiFi on the Sonos devices. That may be the solution but do they then still play synchronously together?