This is Glorious!!

Plouffe

Clutter sure does look a lot better when it's organized, and so do 17 Sonos Connect amps. Watch Linus and Alex wall mount this crazy wi-fi audio setup in his house.

Buy a Sonos Connect: Amp: https://geni.us/QwVZAi

Buy a Klipsch PRO-180RPC In-Ceiling Speaker: https://lmg.gg/hiHkL

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Normally I would not advocate for those 25CM long power cables, but for this it would be quite a good option to get those HELLA short cables.

"I love my power cables NICE AND LONG AF", there are only a few rare places I use short cables. [2, 25CM usb C-C 90 degrees, for 2 RPI's  is about the longest I go for devices that do not move more than once or twice a year ]

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Video about a home audio system has the sound quality of a phone 🤣
Where did the frequencies below 80Hz go?

1 minute ago, Alvin853 said:

Video about a home audio system has the sound quality of a phone 🤣
Where did the frequencies below 80Hz go?

Normally people camera shotguns run 100hz hi pass filters due to handling noise.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

A PoE speaker setup using AVB/TSN or Dante would have vastly simplified this setup. This does limit speaker output power if there is a need for more than ~70W. There are also PoE amplifiers that let you use your own speakers and plenum rated to be installed into ceiling spaces near the speakers themselves. This vastly simplifies wiring as only CAT cables are what is ran to the rack regardless of using a PoE speaker or amp plus a short speaker jumper if using the PoE amp solution. PoE speakers/amplifiers with built-in DSP processors to handle things like specific EQ for the speaker and its positioning in a room are also options. Depending on the model, you can also get a pass through port on them to connect another device. Pass through ports are nice for reusing a network run to a device that isn't latency sensitive like a projector for control data. Newer generation of these devices are also integrating various sensors like temperature, humidity and ambient light which are useful for tying into an automation system.

Daisy chaining as seen in this video is not optimal for audio transmission due to the additive latency. There is at least 6 network hops involved for the last unit to get its audio data (to the wi-fi access point -> core switch -> switch dedicated to the amp cluster -> three more hops through other Sonos amps). For something like playing music in a room of off a phone, this isn't noticeable as there no reference to determine how the skew in time. However with the audio source being say a movie or a console game, there is an end user expectation of when audio should be heard. This is similar in concept to how video scalers can introduce a few frames of latency in a video feed which can become noticeable for gaming. If there are enough ports on the main switch, I'd have direct wired them all into that or provisioned a larger switch for just the amplifiers to cut down on the daisy chain hops. While audio is latency sensitive, the bandwidth requirements are not that great.

I love how Linus says "Sonos is very good at supporting their old products", as if they havent tired to stop supporting their products that they recently sold and havent intentionally bricked consumers products to force people to buy new.

24 minutes ago, kuro68k said:

What is the idle power draw on those things?

Come to that, what's the quiescent power draw of Linus' house?

Remember the scene in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation where the Christmas lights on the house finally start working and they have to turn on an auxiliary nuclear plant?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

That last sponsor segue had big This Old House outtro energy.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Patiently waiting for the power strip magnets, and now adding the new cable arches to that waiting list.

Interested in a [cheaper] open source alternative such as Snapcast, and RPIs or similar. Would love if anyone could share their experiences!

8 hours ago, kuro68k said:

What is the idle power draw on those things?

I was also wondering.. Pretty sure every one of those sucks back 5-10W at idle, at least. That makes 85-170W for the 17 of those, so 745-1490kWh per year. At 20ct/kWh that would be 150-300$ yearly simply for running them in standby. But then, Canadian electricity is dirt cheap (?) and compared to the server farm he has running 24/7 that's probably peanuts anyways..

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

I was also wondering.. Pretty sure every one of those sucks back 5-10W at idle, at least. That makes 85-170W for the 17 of those, so 745-1490kWh per year. At 20ct/kWh that would be 150-300$ yearly simply for running them in standby. But then, Canadian electricity is dirt cheap (?) and compared to the server farm he has running 24/7 that's probably peanuts anyways..

hvac tend to use the most power.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

10 hours ago, darwin006 said:

I love how Linus says "Sonos is very good at supporting their old products", as if they havent tired to stop supporting their products that they recently sold and havent intentionally bricked consumers products to force people to buy new.

Exactly. Linus is now deeply invested in an already outdated ecosystem. I can't wait for the inevitable drop of support and him having to jank a solution.

3 hours ago, Drevo Dano said:

Exactly. Linus is now deeply invested in an already outdated ecosystem. I can't wait for the inevitable drop of support and him having to jank a solution.

Expect a rant WAN show

At 0:52 Linus talks about the cable management arches, at what point in the video were they used?

5 hours ago, Drevo Dano said:

They are the same form factor as the latest generation boxes he said I believe. So he could swap them out without too much trouble.

9 hours ago, Dracarris said:

I pay $0.0959 /kWh here, so about half your estimate

1 hour ago, LTTMobileJake said:

Where does the energy come from?

2 hours ago, LTTMobileJake said:

Just for completeness, does that include the transmission fees, or is it only the generation rate? Here in PA,USA that's about what my generation rate is, but then the transmission fees basically double that all said and done.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

20 hours ago, power666 said:

Daisy chaining as seen in this video is not optimal for audio transmission due to the additive latency.

I don't know but I don't know if that would actually be the case in this situation as it's a smart networked audio source, not just daisy chaining analogue sources. 

2 hours ago, LTTMobileJake said:

Make sure you are factoring in the delivery, transmission, and fees, not just the cost per kilowatt which is generally very cheap in Canada, because we have big nuclear and hydro power sources.  And then they get ya with the cost to deliver the power to the customer.

But my power is included in my rent so I don't really care and leave my computers on 24/7.

PLEASE STOP LYING TO GET FREE ELECTRONICS FOR YOUR HOME!!!

SONOS does NOT support their old products!!! They are arrogant A-Holes that are turning their older, completely usable product into E-Waste on purpose, even if you only want to use it with a simple / dumb line-in connector!!!

Here's one article about them doing this from WIRED, there are MANY MORE out there: https://wired.me/gear/audio/older-sonos-speakers-will-stop-receiving-updates/

EEVBlog also did a couple of videos on this E-Waste producing company. See:
    "eevBLAB #44 - Sonos Deliberately Bricking Products!"
and
   "EEVblog 1519 - FREE Your Sonos Speaker! (HACK)".

Why would you have to Log in on a website and register a SPEAKER with SONOS (Which you CANNOT DO on older models) in order to use a simple / dumb line-in connection to a speaker?!?!?

I am curious they pull on some cables that they refer to as sub runs. What Subs are being used ? For reference it is around the 5:38 mark in the video they point out the sub runs.