Difference between a sound card and a stereo amplifier?

What is the difference between a sound card and a stereo amplifier (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368299374&sr=8-1&keywords=lepai+lp-2020a)?

If I have a stereo amplifier connected to speakers, and the amplifier connected to PC, would I still need a sound card? And there are some speakers that are not passive. Does that mean that the amplifier is inside the speakers?

Please give a simple but detailed explanation. I would really appreciate that.

Active = Amp is in the speaker, thats right.

Soundcard  -> Amp -> Speaker

If you want good sound all 3 things have to be good :D

Soundcard: Digital to Analog converter

Amp: makes the small powerless signal from your soundcard powerfull enough to drive a speaker.

+1 but wont do anything to improve the overall quality of the onboard sound.

while a sound card should as long as you dont buy the bottom end xonars and creative xfi.

minimum spend is no less than $50/£50. if your gonna spend less than that your wasting your money as the resulting sound will be no better than the onboard if you have anything  more than the most basic motherboard.

my personal recommendation if you want a cheap sound card is the creative xfi Xtreme gamer or the asus xonar dx 

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

that's an active speaker not passive.

ups...right :D

The DAC is the " sound card ".

DAC = Digital to Analog Converter

Binary -> Analog ( Actual Sound )

dac converts the 1's and 0's from the computer into an analog signal

amp increases that signal so it's strong enough to move the speakers.

soundcard is just typically a poor dac. imo

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Not to mention typically a poor amp too.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Not to mention typically a poor amp too.

People consider sound cards as amps? I didn't even know that was possible. Any external AMP/DAC combo whether they're integrated together or they're both discrete is always going to be much better for your listening experience.

So it is better to get a DAC than a soundcard? Then why would anyone buy a soundcard? If I want an active 2.1 speaker system for my PC, I should buy the DAC? And if I want to get passive monitors, I would buy the DAC and the amp? 

Sorry for so many basic questions. I am just trying to wrap my head around sound equipment. 

Then why would anyone buy a soundcard?

Maybe for the features.  But I pose this question to anyone who asks which soundcard they should buy "Why do you need it, or think you need it?"

Why would someone buy a soundcard? There's a few reasons. A lot of people with sound cards they're from Asus. Well you probably just bought your motherboard from Asus and it's of great overclocking ability and it looks great and they have great advertising so you thought their sound card would be good. Also PCI-E is a nice way to keep it nice and clean and all what you have to do is route a cable to the back of your case and you're done. It's much better to grab a DAC over a sound card because it will (almost)always provide you better sound quality. 

Why would someone buy a soundcard? There's a few reasons. A lot of people with sound cards they're from Asus. Well you probably just bought your motherboard from Asus and it's of great overclocking ability and it looks great and they have great advertising so you thought their sound card would be good. Also PCI-E is a nice way to keep it nice and clean and all what you have to do is route a cable to the back of your case and you're done. It's much better to grab a DAC over a sound card because it will (almost)always provide you better sound quality. 

Thanks for clarifying that. 

One last question. Let's say I have a USB DAC connected to my PC and a stereo amp connected to the DAC and passive monitors connected to the amp. Is it better to increase the volume on the DAC or the amp? Or do we have to find a right ratio? Also, does the answer to this question still apply if I have active speakers connected to the DAC?  

the dac won't have volume controls, the pre amp will. 

there are some dac/preamp combo units with a volume control and source selection.

an integrated amp is a pre amp/power amp combo.

a receiver nowadays is just an integrated amp with a video source switch.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

To make sound from a digital source (a computer) you need a DAC to convert the digital file to analog, an amplifier to pump up the voltage to drive the speakers, and speakers (headphones are speakers) to deliver the sound to your ears.

A "soundcard" typically combines the DAC and the amplifier into one simple component for users to connect their speakers. "Active" speakers merely have an amplifier inside of them, usually just to make it easier to change the volume via a knob of some sort. It is possible to chain multiple amplifiers (ie soundcard with an amp, then active speakers). The "best" solution varies depending on your usage, your budget, and which audiophile you ask for advice. 

Having an external optical DAC, going into a nice amplifier, going into nice speakers is the only thing I'd personally recommend for serious listening.

Having a separate amplifier in the chain doesn't make sense if your speakers are connected through an audio receiver as it only degrades the signal by amplifying it too much.

Having just a nice soundcard is good enough for just about everything if you're not extremely picky.

A "soundcard" typically combines the DAC and the amplifier into one simple component for users to connect their speakers.

no, sound cards are still delivering line out, 

some may have a tiny amp for headphones, but none have an amp that will drive a speaker.

no, sound cards are still delivering line out, 

some may have a tiny amp for headphones, but none have an amp that will drive a speaker.

I said "headphones are speakers" in my post, but, whatever.

If you're using speakers they're usually active, in which case you'll be connecting them via 3.5mm or RCA, or they're connected through a receiver of some sorts. In either situation, the line level does not matter. 

I've never heard of someone plugging passive speakers directly into a soundcard because anyone knowledgeable enough to do that knows it wont work, or they have an expensive soundcard that can do it, so I figured I shouldn't mention it. My bad.

The only good DAC you will find on a sound card to my knowledge is the Cirrus-Logic on the Xonar Essence ST and the Burr Brown on the Xonar Essence STX but they are over priced imo for what they are. With that said though there are other factors that make certain DAC's better than others some might have a DAC chip per channel (a particular model of Arcam CD player in their FMJ range even had 2 DAC's per channel), how good the circuitry design is and the quality of parts used, how good the clock is at reducing jitter etc.