Worth upgrading fans?

Arevera1

Currently have 6 Corsair SP 120 fans on my case(3 input front via Corsair AIO, 1 output back, 2 Output top). They have been good enough, but are a bit loud and I am not 100% sure that they are ideal. I am looking to upgrade to 3 Noctua NF-F12s on the front with AIO as input. For output, upgrading to an NF-12SA on back and two NF-A14 ULN on the top.

For reference, my Case is a Corsair 4000D, my GPU is a Zotac Twin Edge 3070, and my CPU is currently a Ryzen 7 3700x but I am upgrading to a 5800X3D soon. AIO is an h150i elite capellix.

When running Cinebench CPU hovered just under 60 Celcius with spikes to 70 when starting a new render.

GPU peaked at 70 degrees avg (83 degrees at hot spot) on Superposition benchmark, 1080 Extreme.

I don't think the Noctuas are particularly quiet, though I haven't really looked at any fan reviews lately so I'm not the best source. Check out Hardware Canucks, they do superb fan shootouts; on par with something you'd see from GamersNexus, but you won't fall asleep halfway through the video.

I personally went with Arctic F12s (I think, I can check later) on my EVGA AIO, and it was a night and day difference. Went from a jet fighter taking off to me wondering if my PC is even on half the time. They're also 1/4 of the price of the Noctua units, if not less.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'd just set the fans to spin slower if noise if the problem. 

The better fans will provide a tiny improvement in cooling for a given noise level, so spin the slower if you want quieter. Those temps are fine and you have some headroom.

Noctua fans are better and quieter than Corsair fans. You will notice a difference if you replace all your fans with Noctua, especially at idle. Your system will be dead silent after the initial start. If you can handle the higher temps, using silent profile on your MB will also keep them very quiet under load. I do that in the winter because I want the heat, but in summer I set the MB to normal operations. 

But the reality here is the Noctua fans make noise as they spin faster. They are not 100% silent. I will admit I am shocked at how quiet my system operates while gaming, but it was a huge premium. If I turn my fans to full speed, they sound smoother than Corsair but they are definitely loud. And they are prone to the same problems, like the vibrations from being too close to a metal surface.

I second watching the Hardware Cunucks videos and pick your best option. For me Amazon had all the Noctua fans that I wanted in stock and delivered quickly.

I had stock & AIO NZXT fans, trying to cool my 5800X3D they just couldn't keep up. Upgrade to Silent wings 4 Pro's and my system is whisper quiet. Go to buy as I have a 280AIO at the front cooling the CPU as well as needing to deliver enough fresh air for my GPU. Have a look:

TLDR: for simple airflow at acceptable noise levels Noctua is a consideration but the moment you add radiators into the mix BeQuiet takes strides.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd just set the fans to spin slower if noise if the problem. 

The better fans will provide a tiny improvement in cooling for a given noise level, so spin the slower if you want quieter. Those temps are fine and you have some headroom.

Noise only starts becoming a problem because parts aren't cool enough as they already are. If fans are set any lower there will be lost performance as CPU or GPU starts throttling.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

9 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Noise only starts becoming a problem because parts aren't cool enough as they already are. If fans are set any lower there will be lost performance as CPU or GPU starts throttling.

From the temps the OP has posted, there seems to be pretty reasonable thermal headroom to spin the fans slower and raise temps for lower noise. 

The other thing is those SP fans are already pretty decent fans, so upgrading to noctuas won't be a big(or likely noticeable) increase

If you have room get Phanteks T30 fans. They are superior to any other 120mm fan in every way, but they are 30mm thick so you need to make sure the extra 5mm is not an issue.

I replaced a Noctua A12 on my cpu cooler and it is way better with basically zero noise.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

From the temps the OP has posted, there seems to be pretty reasonable thermal headroom to spin the fans slower and raise temps for lower noise. 

The other thing is those SP fans are already pretty decent fans, so upgrading to noctuas won't be a big(or likely noticeable) increase

But that is with his current 3700X, yea he has thermal headroom but he plans to upgrade to a 5800X3D just like me. And exactly like me my 2700X under all core load never went past 65°C. I actually don't ever recall the fans ramping up to the point where before I upgraded to my 5800X3D I was worried that maybe I should check the AIO incase the motor has seised up or grown full for basically running at the same low speed for like 3~ non stop and I would never notice cause if that was the case.

He'll have a bit of a better time than me by having a bigger AIO and better case aiflow than me but personally someone who's walked a similar upgrade path to him, I was suprised how included AIO fans weren't up for the task and how quiet expensive fans are in addition to their performance.

Appreciate the feedback everybody! I think my plan is going to be to upgrade to 5800X3D next fiscal month and run testing with current fans. Then if need be, upgrade to Phanteks as I have enough clearance, but probably only on AIO radiator due to cost. Might even setup current fans as a push-pull on rad but that is a future project. Thanks everyone for input!!

I currently use Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140mm fans rather than A14. They're louder in some ways but the pressure performance difference makes up for this. So when noise normalized the IceGALE fans come out on top despite being louder. The angular design is not for everyone but I haven't come across a better 140mm blade design.

from ok fans to the so called best fan is like maybe like 3-4c dose that really make up for the cost of all thows fans...

temps are fine as is. posable is the fan curves setup? i mean a 1080 well a good card is getting dated so even if it ran hotter most likely it will be replaced soon anyway. not say that lower temps make it last longer nore dose a bit hotter make it not last as long.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Unless those are not the standard sp120 RGB Elite, I disagree. Moving to any high performance fan will net an improvement of up to several degrees. I tested them against the Phanteks T30, Corsair ML120, Noctua A12x25 and a few others. The SP120 was one of the worst. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂