12VHPWR Connectors with RTX 4080 (Need Peace of Mind)

I'm planning to get a RTX 4080 with a Corsair HX1000i to power it. The PSU is ATX 3.0 and comes with Corsair's own 12VHPWR cable (which terminates in 2 x 8-pin PCIe connectors on the PSU end) so I won't be using the included adapter that comes with the GPU.

The whole connector melting issue is still in the back of my mind, but given that it seemed only 4090s were being effected I thought I was gonna be safe, but recently I came across reports on Reddit about the same happening to the 4080 as well. This has me a bit worried...I have some questions I hope you guys can help with:

1) Anybody here had a connector melting/burning problem with their 4080?

2) Any reports or experiences with the Corsair 12VHPWR melting?

3) I'm planning on a Gigabyte 4080 Gaming OC. In case the card gets damaged/bricked, will Gigabyte (or any AIB for that matter) accept RMAs even if the damage occurred when not using the adapter that comes with the GPU?

Intel i7-4790k | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz RAM | Corsair H80i v1 AIO | Corsair RM850x PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | Asus VZ27AQ 1440p 75hz monitor | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD

As far as I am aware there hasn't been any reports of issues with 12 pin to 12 pin cables melting. I personally have a ATX 3.0 psu for that reason and my 4090 hasn't had problems so far. Also just having the one cable without an adapter is much nicer for cable management. 

42 minutes ago, Gessler555 said:

3) I'm planning on a Gigabyte 4080 Gaming OC. In case the card gets damaged/bricked, will Gigabyte (or any AIB for that matter) accept RMAs even if the damage occurred when not using the adapter that comes with the GPU?

You should ask to Gigabyte in writing the answer for that question.

Do you have access to a thermal camera?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

22 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

As far as I am aware there hasn't been any reports of issues with 12 pin to 12 pin cables melting. I personally have a ATX 3.0 psu for that reason and my 4090 hasn't had problems so far. Also just having the one cable without an adapter is much nicer for cable management. 

The adapter is not the problem 
It's the connector. 

what you have on the PSU side has no bearing on it. 

OP, just plug it in till it latches, don't torque it, you are gucci. 

3 minutes ago, starsmine said:

OP, just plug it in till it latches

If OP really needs a deeper convincing than that they can also follow the 35mm slack rule.

Seasonic 12VHPWR Cable

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 hours ago, starsmine said:

The adapter is not the problem 
It's the connector. 

what you have on the PSU side has no bearing on it. 

OP, just plug it in till it latches, don't torque it, you are gucci. 

You only have 2 connections you have to make sure are plugged in correctly with a ATX 3.0 psu where as other have to make sure 6 connections are plugged in correctly. With the adapter you are more likely to make mistakes. With the single cable so long as you plug it in all of the way you should be fine. Also keep in mind the adapter is going to be more messy around the gpu and could actually cause the plug to be undone a little and result in the melting so yes it does have alot to do with it. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

You only have 2 connections you have to make sure are plugged in correctly with a ATX 3.0 psu where as other have to make sure 6 connections are plugged in correctly. With the adapter there is way less room for error and so long as you plug it in all of the way you should be fine. 

the connector that has "issues" is only the 12vhpwer. Not the 4 8pins.

2 minutes ago, starsmine said:

the connector that has "issues" is only the 12vhpwer. Not the 4 8pins.

Ah yes because having a heavy adapter weighing down your cables and cluttering up you case certainly won't losses the connection of the 12 pin connection. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Ah yes because having a heavy adapter weighing down your cables and cluttering up you case certainly won't losses the connection of the 12 pin connection. 

dude, people are unnecessarily spooked enough without you making up new ways to be spooked.

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

dude, people are unnecessarily spooked enough without you making up new ways to be spooked.

Ah my bad for bring up real concerns about using an adapter and things that should be looked out for. I guess it would be better to stick your head in the sand and pretend the issue doesn't exist.