Dual 4090 build

Budget (including currency): 6-7k€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Deep Learning

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello,

I would like to build a new setup including 2 x 4090 GPUs. I started looking a bit at some possible configuration but I'm not sure if both GPUs could fit well and be cooled enough.

Here is what I have in mind for now:

Power Supply: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sdRgXL/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-12-1500-w-80-titanium-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bn647

Case: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/f2hmP6/fractal-design-meshify-2-xl-atx-full-tower-case-fd-c-mes2x-02

Video Card: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TgkWGX/gigabyte-gaming-oc-geforce-rtx-4090-24-gb-video-card-gv-n4090gaming-oc-24gd

Memory: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tdCZxr/corsair-vengeance-64-gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr5-6600-cl32-memory-cmk64gx5m2b6600c32

Motherboard: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tPYmP6/asus-proart-z690-creator-wifi-atx-lga1700-motherboard-proart-z690-creator-wifi

CPU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CgkWGX/intel-core-i9-13900kf-3-ghz-24-core-processor-bx8071513900kf
Fan: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/84MTwP/noctua-nh-d15-chromaxblack-8252-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-d15-chromaxblack

And I'm not sure which SSD or NVMe disk to choose if you have any idea?

I think you will be pressed for space and the Meshify may not be the *best* option here. Some wider cases have better choices for radiators and fan configurations, which you might need here.

Is the SSD just gonna be for the OS/Program files?

The cheapest 4.0 m.2 of reputable brand you can find will do you more than good if that's the case. Otherwise we need more info

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

Only 64gb of RAM for 48gb of vram? I'd go with 128 or straight away max out with 192GB since you're going DDR. Also keep in mind that you likely won't be able to reach 6000+ with high density sticks, specially on Intel.

5 minutes ago, xGGGG said:

And I'm not sure which SSD or NVMe disk to choose if you have any idea?

SN850X should be a good option.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

I think you will be pressed for space and the Meshify may not be the *best* option here. Some wider cases have better choices for radiators and fan configurations, which you might need here.

Is the SSD just gonna be for the OS/Program files?

The cheapest 4.0 m.2 of reputable brand you can find will do you more than good if that's the case. Otherwise we need more info

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you have examples of wider cases big enough for those 2 cards?

I think I will put one disk for OS and the other one for data. I'm not sure if there is a real interest choosing NVMe disk over SSD too?

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

Only 64gb of RAM for 48gb of vram? I'd go with 128 or straight away max out with 192GB since you're going DDR. Also keep in mind that you likely won't be able to reach 6000+ with high density sticks, specially on Intel.

SN850X should be a good option.

Thanks.

Indeed I'll probably start with 4 x 32GB 🙂 

1 minute ago, xGGGG said:

I think I will put one disk for OS and the other one for data. I'm not sure if there is a real interest choosing NVMe disk over SSD too?

Depending on your datasets, or if you're offloading stuff to disk streaming (like when using deepspeed), having a fast NVMe really helps.

Just now, xGGGG said:

Thanks.

Indeed I'll probably start with 4 x 32GB 🙂 

In this case I'd recommend downgrading to ddr4 for more stability, or jumping over to AMD. Only benefit for AM5 and high capacity is if you're going for 192gb, otherwise the low clocks speeds aren't really worth the extra cost.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 minutes ago, xGGGG said:

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you have examples of wider cases big enough for those 22 cards?

A few come to mind:

Corsair Obsidian 1000D

Corsair 7000D Airflow

Lian Li O11D (for a double rad setup)

Seconded on the SN850X 

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

You might want to look into another 4090 as I have heard that the one you are looking at has some reports of the pcb cracking due to being too heavy and gigabyte not honoring the warranty when that happens. Also you might want to get a liquid cooled 4090 to save some space. At least for the 4090 that would normally have its fans facing the other 4090 you could go for a liquid cooled option. 

35 minutes ago, xGGGG said:

The GPU are too wide and will not both fit on the motherboard. Besides, two air cooled RTX 4090 side-by-side are going to be difficult to properly cool. Consider using AIO cooled GPU.

Consider 4x48GB of memory. Ignore the error messages in pcpartpicker. The memory kit listed is on the motherboard memory QVL.

The Meshify 2 XL is a roomy case with excellent ventilation.

Consider a PSU that has native support for the 12VHPWR connectors used by the GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF 3 GHz 24-Core Processor  (€580.24 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€119.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: Asus ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€572.29 @ Galaxus) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 192 GB (4 x 48 GB) DDR5-5200 CL38 Memory  (€574.98 @ Computeruniverse) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€143.90 @ Alza) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€143.90 @ Alza) 
Video Card: Inno3D iChill Black GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  (€1719.00 @ Alza) 
Video Card: Inno3D iChill Black GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  (€1719.00 @ Alza) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL ATX Full Tower Case  (€189.61 @ Galaxus) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 13 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€410.24 @ Mindfactory) 
Total: €6173.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-08-22 18:49 CEST+0200

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

40 minutes ago, brob said:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 192 GB (4 x 48 GB) DDR5-5200 CL38 Memory  (€574.98 @ Computeruniverse) 

One thing to keep in mind is that I haven't seen anyone using 192GB on Intel yet, and those that were doing 128GB had to disable XMP do even get stuff working, so DDR5 and high density on intel may not be a good idea.

41 minutes ago, brob said:

The top GPU being watercooled is a good idea, yes, but the bottom one could be a regular open-air. Having to deal with 2 rads may be annoying.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

Well, since deep learning is kind of a multi-threaded workload and most of the heavy lifting will be done by the GPUs anyway, here is a rig which will be not only crazy fast for that, but quite as well:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  (€587.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€104.23 @ notebooksbilliger.de) 
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E ACE EATX AM5 Motherboard  (€781.98 @ notebooksbilliger.de) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (€226.86 @ Computeruniverse) 
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€109.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€259.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: MSI SUPRIM LIQUID X GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  (€1857.99 @ Galaxus) 
Video Card: MSI SUPRIM LIQUID X GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  (€1857.99 @ Galaxus) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo 719 ATX Full Tower Case  (€223.89 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX-1600 ATX 3.0 1600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€400.83 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €6410.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-08-22 21:23 CEST+0200

I really wanted to make a Threadripper build for all the available PCIe lanes, but couldn't find a TRX40 board with price in Europe. With something like the MSI Creator TRX40 both 4090s would've had no trouble running at x16/x16 PCIe gen 4 speeds all day every day, while at the same time still leaving lanes for NVMe storage. And that's with the old TRX40 platform the TRX8 Threadripper 5000 would've just killed it here, even if the CPU alone is 1/3rd of the budget.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

Thanks for all feedback @QuantumSingularity @igormp @brob @ItTakes2ToMango
@Brooksie359 Good to know thanks. Do you know some good one 4090 manufacturer for air cooled and AIO cooled ones?

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this Intel/DDR5 issue but if I understand correctly probably the best is to go for DDR4 if I want 128Gb and keep with Intel? Do you all agree about this issue Intel/DDR5 or some of you managed to make a build with no issue?

So for now I could have something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PwY8KX (still not sure about motherboard and GPUs)

It's not possible to get 2x4090 air cooled and a motherboard allowing this?

4 hours ago, xGGGG said:

@Brooksie359 Good to know thanks. Do you know some good one 4090 manufacturer for air cooled and AIO cooled ones?

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this Intel/DDR5 issue but if I understand correctly probably the best is to go for DDR4 if I want 128Gb and keep with Intel? Do you all agree about this issue Intel/DDR5 or some of you managed to make a build with no issue?

So for now I could have something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PwY8KX (still not sure about motherboard and GPUs)

If I were you I would look at third party reviews of 4090s as some places have done a 4090 round up of different models and compared them. On the air cooled side I do know the MSI Suprim is very good and can be had for a very reasonable price where I am at and is one of the few that generally doesn't have coil whine. I don't have personal experience with any of the other models but the asus TUF which has worked well as well. That being said third party reviews have alot more experience with the various models so they will have better input than I could give you. You could even look at to see if any of them do comparisons between different AIO 4090s. 

5 hours ago, xGGGG said:

I'm not sure that DDR4 is going to be any less troublesome. I seem to recall a post from a builder that found 4x32GB DDR4 also had issues with XMP profiles.

There are air cooled RTX 4090 that would fit side-by-side on selected motherboards. One must consider that hot air from the lower GPU would be intake air for the upper. As a result at load the upper GPU may throttle. 

The build list does not include a motherboard. So I can't suggest an alternative memory kit. The included memory modules are a less than optimal pairing with an NH-D15. They would require the outer fan be mounted 8mm higher than its normal position to accommodate the memory. A small hit on cooling performance.

Samsung 990 Pro NVMe drives outperform SN850X. Early firmware issues have been corrected.

1 hour ago, brob said:

I'm not sure that DDR4 is going to be any less troublesome. I seem to recall a post from a builder that found 4x32GB DDR4 also had issues with XMP profiles.

There are air cooled RTX 4090 that would fit side-by-side on selected motherboards. One must consider that hot air from the lower GPU would be intake air for the upper. As a result at load the upper GPU may throttle. 

The build list does not include a motherboard. So I can't suggest an alternative memory kit. The included memory modules are a less than optimal pairing with an NH-D15. They would require the outer fan be mounted 8mm higher than its normal position to accommodate the memory. A small hit on cooling performance.

Samsung 990 Pro NVMe drives outperform SN850X. Early firmware issues have been corrected.

Never heard about this memory issue. It's something related to Intel only? Only with 4 sticks?

So no motherboard + case could allow enough space between 2 air cooled GPU to work good with no cooling issues?

Can you suggest a motherboard for this dual 4090 + this CPU build? 🙂 
Good to know that's what came out about my research but as few people mentionned Samsung issues I was a bit afraid of this one.

46 minutes ago, xGGGG said:

Never heard about this memory issue. It's something related to Intel only? Only with 4 sticks?

So no motherboard + case could allow enough space between 2 air cooled GPU to work good with no cooling issues?

Can you suggest a motherboard for this dual 4090 + this CPU build? 🙂 
Good to know that's what came out about my research but as few people mentionned Samsung issues I was a bit afraid of this one.

Depends entirely on the model of the GPU and the motherboard. The Taichi Carrara has enough space between the 2 PCIe x16 slots to fit 2x 4-slot GPUs, but i REALLY recommend going AIO or custom loop, if you are gonna stress those babies for long time. The other way to have 2 air cooled ones on a single motherboard is if one is mounted in the first PCIe slot right on the motherboard like usually and the 2nd one on a vertical extender from the 2nd PCIe x16 slot. But again, be ware - not every motherboard can have the 2 slots runing in x8/x8 configuration. Some just don't have the PCIe lanes and will try to run in x8/x4. With 2 4090 you are approaching an unique bottleneck - PCIe lane availability. I'm not sure if the 4090 will even start with anything lower than x8, even if it is Gen 3. My main concern really are the PCIe lanes. X670E provides 44 in total, but there still isn't a motherboard that can be configured to run both PCIe slots in x16 config at the same time. This is why Threadripper is so big on workstation market.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

7 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Depends entirely on the model of the GPU and the motherboard. The Taichi Carrara has enough space between the 2 PCIe x16 slots to fit 2x 4-slot GPUs, but i REALLY recommend going AIO or custom loop, if you are gonna stress those babies for long time. The other way to have 2 air cooled ones on a single motherboard is if one is mounted in the first PCIe slot right on the motherboard like usually and the 2nd one on a vertical extender from the 2nd PCIe x16 slot. But again, be ware - not every motherboard can have the 2 slots runing in x8/x8 configuration. Some just don't have the PCIe lanes and will try to run in x8/x4. With 2 4090 you are approaching an unique bottleneck - PCIe lane availability. I'm not sure if the 4090 will even start with anything lower than x8, even if it is Gen 3.

Okay let's go for AIO so. Looks like people like the MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM. Any other recommendation? Should I go with the top one air cooled and the bottom one AIO or both AIO?

Do you know what motherboards can support those 2 slots running in x8/x8? Is adding some NVMe storage influencing on this PCIe lanes too?
And do you have any opinion about the memory issue previously talked about?

Sorry for the pack of question 😛 

15 minutes ago, xGGGG said:

Okay let's go for AIO so. Looks like people like the MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM. Any other recommendation? Should I go with the top one air cooled and the bottom one AIO or both AIO?

Do you know what motherboards can support those 2 slots running in x8/x8? Is adding some NVMe storage influencing on this PCIe lanes too?

Yes, adding NVMe storage does influence the number of the used PCI lanes. It's not as easy as simply get the best mobo and the most expensive CPU. If i was in your shoes and was looking for some serious power, i would've searched the local market (probably even the used market) for Threadripper Pro 5965WX and have it on something like ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI. IT's a big investment yes, but if you are serious about the workflow, then it's more than justified. Might have to cut on storage initially, but at least you won't worry if you need to add 1 or 2 or 5 more drives. It also won't be impressed if you later decide to add 2 more 4090s. All of them will have no trouble running in x16 Gen 4 speeds. 

As for the GPUs themselves - either have them both air cooled or both AIO. Not a great idea to have them mixed, since one is gonna be SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the other. Both AIO GPUs can be easily mounted on the Ethno 719 one fron, one side and still have room for top 420mm AIO for the CPU.

5 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Yes, adding NVMe storage does influence the number of the used PCI lanes. It's not as easy as simply get the best mobo and the most expensive CPU. If i was in your shoes and was looking for some serious power, i would've searched the local market (probably even the used market) for Threadripper Pro 5965WX and have it on something like ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI. IT's a big investment yes, but if you are serious about the workflow, then it's more than justified. Might have to cut on storage initially, but at least you won't worry if you need to add 1 or 2 or 5 more drives. 

I don't really need CPU resources that much only for some preprocessing stuff during training but a medium one should be enough just wanted to take this one to keep It longer.

Are you telling me It's not possible to get a motherboard with enough PCI lanes to have both card plus NVMe storage with this Intel CPU?

It's not about resources, it's all about PCIe lane allocation. Not only with the intel CPU, but with desktop Ryzen as well it is hanging by a thread. Desktop users rarely need that many PCI lanes, that's why the chipsets don't offer them. Each NVMe drive usually takes 4 PCIe lanes.

40 minutes ago, xGGGG said:

I would use the same GPU model. If you are going to use the Obsidian 1000D I'd suggest using RTX 4090 with 360 AIO. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/pZ6p99/gigabyte-aorus-xtreme-waterforce-geforce-rtx-4090-24-gb-video-card-gv-n4090aorusx-w-24gd.

Motherboards that support 2 GPU x8x8(PCIe 5.0) and a x4 (PCIe 4.0) NVMe drive from the CPU:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/VTddnQ/asus-proart-z790-creator-wifi-atx-lga1700-motherboard-proart-z790-creator-wifi

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/LYM48d/asus-rog-maximus-z790-hero-atx-lga1700-motherboard-rog-maximus-z790-hero

Not only with the intel CPU, but with desktop Ryzen as well it is hanging by a thread. Desktop users rarely need that many PCI lanes, that's why the chipsets don't offer them. Each NVMe drive usually takes 4 PCIe lanes.

Ok okay so with 13900kf CPU 2nd 4090 could use only 4 PCIe lanes and none are remaining for an NVMe disk? What's the impact on GPU to have less PCIe lanes than 16?
Sorry if It's newbie question can't find clear documentation about that

8 minutes ago, xGGGG said:

Ok okay so with 13900kf CPU 2nd 4090 could use only 4 PCIe lanes and none are remaining for an NVMe disk? What's the impact on GPU to have less PCIe lanes than 16?

If you set he PCIe slot to run in x8 configuration, you are limiting the bandwidth, essentially cutting the transfer speeds in half:

PCI-Express-Connectors.jpg

I think the 4090 had a limitation where it refuses to boot if anything under x8 is selected. Having the GPU running in x8 gen 4 configuration has very small effect during gaming, but i have no idea about workloads and deep learning. Haven't tried that one yet, because anyone i know how deals with that stuff is already on Threadripper. PCIe lanes however are not only limited to your PCIe slots (GPU) and you NVMe storage. There are allocated lanes for high speed USB ports, 10Gbps network and so on. So when a chipset allows maximum of 44, that means 1/3 of those are already taken.

If you set he PCIe slot to run in x8 configuration, you are limiting the bandwidth, essentially cutting the transfer speeds in half:

PCI-Express-Connectors.jpg

I think the 4090 had a limitation where it refuses to boot if anything under x8 is selected. Having the GPU running in x8 gen 4 configuration has very small effect during gaming, but i have no idea about workloads and deep learning. Haven't tried that one yet, because anyone i know how deals with that stuff is already on Threadripper. PCIe lanes however are not only limited to your PCIe slots (GPU) and you NVMe storage. There are allocated lanes for high speed USB ports, 10Gbps network and so on. So when a chipset allows maximum of 44, that means 1/3 of those are already taken.

Thanks! Need to dig into It. I had a build with 2x 2080 Ti and an older Intel CPU and never faced issues with this.
Sounds PCIe lanes are both limitated by CPU AND motherboard?

30 minutes ago, xGGGG said:

The i9-13900(K)(F) have 20 PCIe lanes. Sixteen are PCIe 5.0 intended for GPU and other high bandwidth cards. Four lanes are PCIe 4.0 and used by some motherboards for an NVMe drive.

The Z790 chipset provides an additional 28 PCIe lanes used for additional NVMe drives and various controllers.

Motherboards designed for two GPU have two reinforced x16 PCIe slots. When both are populated the logic usually divides the 16 cpu lanes into a x8x8 configuration. 

Motherboards that support 2 GPU x8x8(PCIe 5.0) and a x4 (PCIe 4.0) NVMe drive from the CPU:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/VTddnQ/asus-proart-z790-creator-wifi-atx-lga1700-motherboard-proart-z790-creator-wifi

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/LYM48d/asus-rog-maximus-z790-hero-atx-lga1700-motherboard-rog-maximus-z790-hero

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/P4Gbt6/msi-meg-z690-unify-x-atx-lga1700-motherboard-meg-z690-unify-x

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/g7Z9TW/msi-mpg-z690-carbon-wifi-atx-lga1700-motherboard-mpg-z690-carbon-wifi

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/RkRYcf/msi-meg-z690-ace-eatx-lga1700-motherboard-meg-z690-ace