LTT's Youtube channel died when it turned into clickbait junk!

DVDfever
5 minutes ago, Acoreus said:

Fatigue is real. There gets a point in troubleshooting something that should be simple that you get irritated and start making mistakes.

I guess...I suppose I can't really judge that much because I simply don't encounter the kind of issues he was reporting any more - I had loads of that in the early days, up to around 14.04, but desktop Linux in those days was a horror show if you didn't know what you were doing. Since then it's either that my machine's so well-tuned that errors simply don't occur or I regard any issues I do have as so trivial that I barely spend any time fixing them. It's mostly not the latter, mind, especially since I dumped all the NVidia hardware from my main machine (which fixed all manner of issues, from audio recording latency to WINE programs randomly breaking).

I tried to create a YouTube channel and didn't use any clickbait. But after a year with two videos per month I ended up with one subscriber all except one video had at most two views. Some had one and others none.

I tried Linux Mint, but there are some programs that I use that only work with Windows. I tried emulating them in one way or another, but never got the level of practicality that I needed.

On 8/19/2023 at 12:16 PM, Cosmic Emotion said:

I stopped watching after the Linux Challenge. A connoisseur could see Linus was insanely biased against Linux. A real shame.

Really? Not that any of it was true? If some e-celeb with tech skill can't figure out how to install Linux, then how is some mundane gonna do that.

As far as I'm concerned, the more "clickbait" a title is, the less I'm willing to click on it. What I've instead been doing is hovering the mouse over the video to see what the captions say in the first 10 seconds.

1 hour ago, digitalscream said:

I guess...I suppose I can't really judge that much because I simply don't encounter the kind of issues he was reporting any more - I had loads of that in the early days, up to around 14.04, but desktop Linux in those days was a horror show if you didn't know what you were doing. Since then it's either that my machine's so well-tuned that errors simply don't occur or I regard any issues I do have as so trivial that I barely spend any time fixing them. It's mostly not the latter, mind, especially since I dumped all the NVidia hardware from my main machine (which fixed all manner of issues, from audio recording latency to WINE programs randomly breaking).

I was just looking over protonDB and I think I might give Linux another try. I've also swapped out my Nvidia hardware, and sometime next week I'm going from a i9-9900k to a 7800x.

But one thing you said that I wish you'd look at closer is "Since I dumped all the NVidia hardware". They have the largest market share of cards, so having errors with them does make Linux less appealing. You can talk all the shit you want about Nvidia (And you should, fuck them) but that doesn't change that if Linux is hard to use on Nvidia hardware... then what's a person to do? Switching to Linux becomes something that's only really realistic if you're looking to build new or upgrade so much that you're replacing all offending hardware. Is that a reasonable ask of someone who just wants to try it? A free software set? 

1 minute ago, Acoreus said:

I was just looking over protonDB and I think I might give Linux another try. I've also swapped out my Nvidia hardware, and sometime next week I'm going from a i9-9900k to a 7800x.

But one thing you said that I wish you'd look at closer is "Since I dumped all the NVidia hardware". They have the largest market share of cards, so having errors with them does make Linux less appealing. You can talk all the shit you want about Nvidia (And you should, fuck them) but that doesn't change that if Linux is hard to use on Nvidia hardware... then what's a person to do? Switching to Linux becomes something that's only really realistic if you're looking to build new or upgrade so much that you're replacing all offending hardware. Is that a reasonable ask of someone who just wants to try it? A free software set? 

Hey, like I said...I don't really care if more people use Linux or not - I'm genuinely not trying to sell anyone on the idea. The problem with NVidia hardware is that it's their own drivers that cause all the problems, and it's not a coincidence that they're the only GPU manufacturer not to fully support open source drivers. Sadly, it's not a solvable problem...the nouveau drivers are never going to have usable performance on modern cards because NVidia doesn't want them to; until that changes, we're stuck in this sorry state of affairs where people with their hardware have to choose between stability and performance. Hell, even using their proprietary drivers with a 1080, the desktop experience is laggier than with an integrated Intel GPU on a laptop chip; I'm amazed that they let that continue, because it genuinely makes their hardware look like junk on those systems.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Really? Not that any of it was true? If some e-celeb with tech skill can't figure out how to install Linux, then how is some mundane gonna do that.

Hmmm, good question. I would answer positively. 🙂

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

5 hours ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

Linus never took the Linux challenge seriously and was just having fun and we, as Linux users, didn't like this kind of coverage.

Man, nobody cares about the stupid little linux challenge video. Don't you get it?

3 minutes ago, Basti0815 said:

Man, nobody cares about the stupid little linux challenge video. Don't you get it?

but don’t you know that having a famous person not love the same things you do is unacceptable?  And with people mad at Linus now is the time to try and dog pile on with stupid stuff!  

34 minutes ago, Thepyrodex said:

but don’t you know that having a famous person not love the same things you do is unacceptable?

And I'm a car enthusiast and find it unacceptable when some car YouTuber complains about Chevys.

I have a lot to say about this, and I regularly comment on their videos stating things such as:

The videos now are giant bouncing text, over-emphasis on "buzz" words or phrases at the beginning of the video, turning the entire production into a circus-like atmosphere. Like the Youtube version of that wacky morning zoo radio station that no one's ever laughed at in their lives. 

Content issues as I see them:

Titles of videos that have nothing to do with the content of the video, such as "Linus never knew it had this much potential..." - which doesn't tell you anything other than Linus is going to be really WOW'd by something. The point is to get people to click it because it's an LTT video in and of itself, not because people want to know about the topic in the title. There is no title, people have to click it. This is irritating. 

Unattainable products, such as 100,000 dollar server videos, gold game controller, 25k computer builds, etc etc etc. Showing off the best of the best is fine, but after a while when you try to raise the bar higher and higher and higher, you have nowhere else to go. People would really like to see more actual reviews. Case reviews, MB reviews and roundups, GPU variant comparisons of a GPU that people can and want to buy, such as the 4070 or 4070 ti, not an all 4090 build, which in reality, no one really owns. More reviews of things people might ACTUALLY want to buy. 

Benchmark issues:

ADD MORE LINES TO YOUR GRAPHS - this includes OLD GPU's such as the 1000 series for Nvidia and old CPUs even going back to Haswell. Don't just compare a 3080, 3090 and 3090 ti to a 4070ti 4080, and 4090. It doesn't help people make buying decisions and it certainly doesn't give a perspective of what has changed over time in similar games. Assume your audience is smart, don't dumb it down to 3 huge bars on one screen. Give people more credit than that, assume they will pause the video to look closer at it. 

Additionally on this, you need to state and show what the test bench is, all the way down to the thermal paste used in each test; if not each test, then at least each video. People need to be able to draw some comparisons between what you are using to test and a system they might have or want to build. 

There's really a lot more, from people guiding Linus through stuff with a laptop indicating Linus doesn't really know what's going on with the products, to the having sponsors of the same products and companies you review. 

No one will prob read this, but most of it can be fixed. 

1 hour ago, Absentia13 said:

I have a lot to say about this, and I regularly comment on their videos stating things such as:

The videos now are giant bouncing text, over-emphasis on "buzz" words or phrases at the beginning of the video, turning the entire production into a circus-like atmosphere. Like the Youtube version of that wacky morning zoo radio station that no one's ever laughed at in their lives. 

Content issues as I see them:

Titles of videos that have nothing to do with the content of the video, such as "Linus never knew it had this much potential..." - which doesn't tell you anything other than Linus is going to be really WOW'd by something. The point is to get people to click it because it's an LTT video in and of itself, not because people want to know about the topic in the title. There is no title, people have to click it. This is irritating. 

Unattainable products, such as 100,000 dollar server videos, gold game controller, 25k computer builds, etc etc etc. Showing off the best of the best is fine, but after a while when you try to raise the bar higher and higher and higher, you have nowhere else to go. People would really like to see more actual reviews. Case reviews, MB reviews and roundups, GPU variant comparisons of a GPU that people can and want to buy, such as the 4070 or 4070 ti, not an all 4090 build, which in reality, no one really owns. More reviews of things people might ACTUALLY want to buy. 

Benchmark issues:

ADD MORE LINES TO YOUR GRAPHS - this includes OLD GPU's such as the 1000 series for Nvidia and old CPUs even going back to Haswell. Don't just compare a 3080, 3090 and 3090 ti to a 4070ti 4080, and 4090. It doesn't help people make buying decisions and it certainly doesn't give a perspective of what has changed over time in similar games. Assume your audience is smart, don't dumb it down to 3 huge bars on one screen. Give people more credit than that, assume they will pause the video to look closer at it. 

Additionally on this, you need to state and show what the test bench is, all the way down to the thermal paste used in each test; if not each test, then at least each video. People need to be able to draw some comparisons between what you are using to test and a system they might have or want to build. 

There's really a lot more, from people guiding Linus through stuff with a laptop indicating Linus doesn't really know what's going on with the products, to the having sponsors of the same products and companies you review. 

No one will prob read this, but most of it can be fixed. 

It's simply the nature of the beast that is Youtube. YT is a cannibalistic environment that requires constant engagement or risk becoming irrelevant. Only a rare handful have managed find a niche that allows them to thrive without being at the mercy of YT.

While I get what you are saying, a 10 minute video with a wacky title, and stupid face reaches the average user much faster than anything else.  Tech channels are a dime a dozen. So, LTT is in a position of needing to play the YT game to stay afloat.

On 8/23/2023 at 2:21 AM, Cripes567 said:

Im not a defender of LTT. Im not even the biggest fan, however people are going overboard as if LTT as committed all 7 sins, and therefore is a plague on humanity. It's melodramatics for the sake of melodramatics.

Is it good someone pointed out a problem? Yes. Is it good if LTT addresses said problem and improves? Yes. If not, they will just slowly fade away. I don't even like GN so no bias there either; But the guy really hammed it when it came to that cooler. As if LTT was on the same level of evil as some of the worst company's on earth.

Was it shitty? Sure, you can make a case for that. Did it warrant pitchforks? Then I question your judgement. You got one very major issue in the span of 10 years. But the thing is, these are issues that can be fixed. You and others are acting like it's something beyond repair. Again, it's melodramtic.

Anyone who doesn't agree with your "lets burn this shit down" way of thinking is a bootlicker.

I know you aren't directly talking to me, because none of those are my opinions, and I agree that the way some people have reacted has been intense. I think some of them feel betrayed and are justifiably angry, but I also think that as a society we are not particularly good at handling things. Outrage has been exploited by so many organizations from political to social media for so long that it is the default reaction.

I may need to rewatch the GN video, but to me, the cooler thing was just a rather small part and not at all the focus of the video. I do feel like in some ways it detracted from the main point, but it is just one of many things that shows that LMG needs to take the time to get things right.

There have also been plenty of people who think LMG/Linus never did anything wrong, and are very loud and cruel about it as well. I suppose you pick the side you feel most comfortable with. Personally I would rather see pitchforks than complacency, but that is just who I am. One is more likely to affect change than the other.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:36 PM, Basti0815 said:

Really? 🙂

On 8/19/2023 at 1:16 PM, Cosmic Emotion said:

I stopped watching after the Linux Challenge. A connoisseur could see Linus was insanely biased against Linux. A real shame.

what choice do you have when you can easily delete your entire desktop when trying to install Steam?

It doesn't matter if he should have read the (very badly worded) error more closely. Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows 11 have never given me the option to delete my entire desktop when I install Steam.

And more to the point it's absurd to me Linux was sitting on the tools to get a lot more games running on their OS with a lot less effort but it took a multi-billion dollar company with the profit-incentive of not letting their product fail (Valve) to get it done. The cost of relying on people who work for free, I guess.

Linus doesn't have a bias, his videos just showed Linux still sucks

7 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

what choice do you have when you can easily delete your entire desktop when trying to install Steam?

It doesn't matter if he should have read the (very badly worded) error more closely. Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows 11 have never given me the option to delete my entire desktop when I install Steam.

And more to the point it's absurd to me Linux was sitting on the tools to get a lot more games running on their OS with a lot less effort but it took a multi-billion dollar company with the profit-incentive of not letting their product fail (Valve) to get it done. The cost of relying on people who work for free, I guess.

You're right, Windows breaks by itself. XD

Let's see some of the features these non-paid devs (which you seem to hate for no particular reason) have mastered through the years though that Windows either doesn't offer or just sucks at:

• Dual Boot support
  • Live ISO
  • Speed
  • Lightness
  • Security
  • Privacy
  • Ease of Use (you might not comprehend that obviously)
  • Global Updates
  • UI Customization
  • Software customization
  • Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Workspaces
  • Software Store
  • Tiling Window Managers
  • Run Windows Programs in Linux
  • Define apps to exist in certain workspaces
  • Containerization
  • Immutability
  • Reproducibility
  • Support for multiple Filesystems
  • No ads
  • Split in the file manager
  • Drivers in the kernel
  • Free of charge
  • Collaboration
  • Consistency of the OS (UI wise and command wise)
  • Diversity

These are the ones that come just to mind and are mostly general. What does Windows actually offer?

• Compatibility

That's it. Whatever happened to Linus was his own fault. A normie wouldn't even consider using the terminal, let alone without googling or asking for help. That was just for show.

In any case, everyone uses what they like best, I chose to stop watching LTT cause of his lackster Linux coverage. You might like him, that's your choice. I just mentioned why I stopped watching him.

Saying that Linux sucks just to defend LTT though, is much more funny than you think. UwU

20 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

You're right, Windows breaks by itself. XD

Let's see some of the features these non-paid devs (which you seem to hate for no particular reason) have mastered through the years though that Windows either doesn't offer or just sucks at:

• Dual Boot support
  • Live ISO
  • Speed
  • Lightness
  • Security
  • Privacy
  • Ease of Use (you might not comprehend that obviously)
  • Global Updates
  • UI Customization
  • Software customization
  • Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Workspaces
  • Software Store
  • Tiling Window Managers
  • Run Windows Programs in Linux
  • Define apps to exist in certain workspaces
  • Containerization
  • Immutability
  • Reproducibility
  • Support for multiple Filesystems
  • No ads
  • Split in the file manager
  • Drivers in the kernel
  • Free of charge
  • Collaboration
  • Consistency of the OS (UI wise and command wise)
  • Diversity

These are the ones that come just to mind and are mostly general. What does Windows actually offer?

• Compatibility

That's it. Whatever happened to Linus was his own fault. A normie wouldn't even consider using the terminal, let alone without googling or asking for help. That was just for show.

In any case, everyone uses what they like best, I chose to stop watching LTT cause of his lackster Linux coverage. You might like him, that's your choice. I just mentioned why I stopped watching him.

Saying that Linux sucks just to defend LTT though, is much more funny than you think. UwU

After decades of working with computers for a living, and using both Linux and Windows (you could say that Linux is my "daily driver" so to speak), it took me almost a whole minute or so to figure out how to do a simple file copy using GUI with a Linux distro that was new to me at the time. The experience was the opposite of intuitive. And that is with some previous Linux experience.

Windows has its flaws, just as Linux has a lot of pros, but for what I see as an "average user" (or an "average gamer" for that matter), I would not recommend Linux.

Linux Mint has come a long way into making Linux more accessible to the wider audience, but it still doesn't cut it, at least in my opinion and experience.

So, with an "average user" in mind, one could say that Linux sucks. Just as one could that Zastava 101 petrol or Volkswagen Golf 2 diesel suck, despite being reliable, practical cars with cheap parts that you can practically fix (and customize 🙂 ) all by yourself (similar analogy goes for bicycle friction shifters if that analogy works better for you 🙂  ).

BikeGremlin
Mostly Harmless ™

12 minutes ago, BikeGremlin said:

After decades of working with computers for a living, and using both Linux and Windows (you could say that Linux is my "daily driver" so to speak), it took me almost a whole minute or so to figure out how to do a simple file copy using GUI with a Linux distro that was new to me at the time. The experience was the opposite of intuitive. And that is with some previous Linux experience.

Windows has its flaws, just as Linux has a lot of pros, but for what I see as an "average user" (or an "average gamer" for that matter), I would not recommend Linux.

Linux Mint has come a long way into making Linux more accessible to the wider audience, but it still doesn't cut it, at least in my opinion and experience.

So, with an "average user" in mind, one could say that Linux sucks. Just as one could that Zastava 101 petrol or Volkswagen Golf 2 diesel suck, despite being reliable, practical cars with cheap parts that you can practically fix (and customize 🙂 ) all by yourself (similar analogy goes for bicycle friction shifters if that analogy works better for you 🙂  ).

It's just very different. If you keep and open mind while starting out, after a week you're good imo, especially now that most apps "just work" on it. It's nothing like it used to be. 🙂

11 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Linus does have a bias lol
But we all do, that's fine.  We all have our preferences.

I was using Arch for both work laptop and my PC.
I stopped using it as "bleeding edge" distros are a nightmare (along with Nvidia drivers.)
That and bleeding edge distros often come with bugs and incompatibility between package updates which means having to read through patch notes to try to work out what will break.  I enjoy learning but I do not enjoy having things continually break due to package updates.

Personally, I love Linux.  I prefer an operating system that isn't tracking my every move and I'd highly recommend folk play with it on a virtual machine to learn it!

But, if anyone decides to dive into Linux to see what the noise is all about.  Pick a friendly distro!

That and Windows design ethos is piss poor, the OOBE (Out of Box Experience) leaves you with so much JUNK to uninstall that it's basically a Samsung phone for bloatware.  I mean, including Candy Crush and fucking TikTok on a "professional" distribution of Windows 11 makes me wanna rip my dick off and throw it at the screen in frustration.  It's stupidity at it's best and thankfully with Valve pushing Linux gaming further we may have a viable alternative in the future.

That and with the new API layers for DX12 on MacOS, Microsoft products are starting to look less desirable.

Desktop Deletions Topic

I've never had my desktop delete once when installing anything outside of other desktop environments.
But, I'm not a melt (Being honest lol).

In fact having multiple desktop environments is a good practice so you can play with each individually and you always have a backup in case something borks.
I'd suggest KDE Plasma and Gnome (Plasma for pretty, Gnome for clean).  But, you'd have to go to some serious lengths to delete a desktop environment.

But if you're familiar with terminal emulators, it is actually very easy to just reinstall the desktop environment with just a few commands.

Wasn't he uninstalling packages when that happened? (If I remember correctly?).
Obviously when uninstalling packages (APT has an autoremove feature if you choose to use it) can remove things and having a bit of knowledge on packages goes a long way.

But, learning something on the fly (Like I've done with Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS blah blah blah etc) comes with mistakes and that's ok.
If you enjoy learning about operating systems and having fun poking about then it's actually fun!

Although as I've said...  Maybe start with a VM or a Raspberry Pi!

I also disagree with the channel dying when it turned click-baity.

The channel lost respect for me when I watched the Billet cooler video (Pre-GN video).
I'm a big fan of these niche products.  While I never buy them, I like to see smaller start-ups succeed and it felt like LMG couldn't give a rats ass about these companies sometimes.

That leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth.

"We have our paycheck, so we'll kick the ladder away for new start-ups."

It's just a poor showing from a channel that holds a lot of power with consumers.
I think that for me was when I started to pay less attention to what they have to say and paid more attention to Linus standing in front of stupidly powerful fans lol
I was also a bit shocked as they are starting this "labs" thing, which seems more and more pointless with each passing cock-up personally.

That and also with all the videos on his home, it can seem a bit tasteless sometimes.
"Our gaming PC's are heating our pool" in a time of economical and ecological crisis.

My government tells me to turn off my TV plug socket to save energy as standby uses power and this guy has a server rack powered on 24/7.
Which heats his pool lol

Don't get me wrong, good for him.  He worked for it.
But maybe a modicum of modesty?

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong, I dunno.
Still a fan of the channel, but more for pure entertainment than information nowadays.

@OP, I have been noticing these kinds of click bait titles without giving a hint of what the product actually is for a long time now and I never clicked them. I believe Jayztwocents does it too.

I also heavily reduced my viewership of the LMG channels in response to the resolution of clickbait titles.

My level of concern would have been mitigated had the clickbait been accompanied by comprehensive context, which I distinctly recall was initially pledged by Linus during the initial discourse on the matter.

From the commencement of the Short Circuit series, I promptly developed a sense of disenchantment towards the individuals operating behind the camera, who exhibited an escalating frequency of attempts at humor. This source of irritation was particularly pronounced in instances where Adam assumed a role behind the camera, as it appeared that his interjections followed each of the presenter's paragraphs.

There exists a multitude of organisational aspects within LMG that necessitate rectification, a significant portion of which pertains to personnel displaying incompetence or creating a sense of vexation.

On 8/19/2023 at 12:46 PM, Middcore said:

Clickbait is documented proven to work. 

So does corporate espionage and misleading the consumer. Doesnt means its ethical or good

On 8/19/2023 at 1:56 PM, MrSuperb said:

It so funny how people are creating accounts in a community of a company they despises, just to tell everyone how they don’t like it for x months/years/never.

Communities / social media is just full of people with pitchforks ready to throw shit all around them.

Why are you not in the GamerNexus Forum and tell them how much you love their work instead? Are positive vibes so outdated?

Stating the positives of a different company does not provide LMG with the proper pressure to improve their processes since they have proven an inability to do so without external pressure.

9 minutes ago, Synchor said:

So does corporate espionage and misleading the consumer. Doesnt means its ethical or good

Oh man. The comparisons are getting silly. And the reproaches anyway. Everybody has to make money, everybody has to sell himself and his services. This has always been the case and will always be the case. Reproaching others for this fact shows a great lack of understanding of true reality.

On 8/23/2023 at 1:21 AM, Cripes567 said:

Im not a defender of LTT. Im not even the biggest fan, however people are going overboard as if LTT as committed all 7 sins, and therefore is a plague on humanity. It's melodramatics for the sake of melodramatics.

Is it good someone pointed out a problem? Yes. Is it good if LTT addresses said problem and improves? Yes. If not, they will just slowly fade away. I don't even like GN so no bias there either; But the guy really hammed it when it came to that cooler. As if LTT was on the same level of evil as some of the worst company's on earth.

Was it shitty? Sure, you can make a case for that. Did it warrant pitchforks? Then I question your judgement. You got one very major issue in the span of 10 years. But the thing is, these are issues that can be fixed. You and others are acting like it's something beyond repair. Again, it's melodramtic.

Anyone who doesn't agree with your "lets burn this shit down" way of thinking is a bootlicker.

I agree for the most part, however I do think the community response is valid, especially because it is LMG. There has always been a policy of at least partial transparency with the audience and a level of trust garnered from that. This situation DIRECTLY erodes both the level of perceived transparency and trust in Linus. Unlike previous issue, we cant just take Linus' word, because he is only one part of the problem; there is something wrong with the internal processes at LMG. As a result, a lot of us long-time viewers, who have "trusted him bro," don't feel like we can trust him in this situation without clear ACTIONS proving things are better. I dont think anyone who is looking at this rationally is mad at Linus the person, but rather at Linus as the multimillionaire CVO of a company with over 100 employees.