LTT's Youtube channel died when it turned into clickbait junk!

DVDfever
8 minutes ago, Basti0815 said:

Oh man. The comparisons are getting silly. And the reproaches anyway. Everybody has to make money, everybody has to sell himself and his services. This has always been the case and will always be the case. Reproaching others for this fact shows a great lack of understanding of true reality.

I reproach others for making their money by exploiting others goodwill by lying and having a lack of morals. Are you really arguing that it doesn't matter how you make money, as long as you make money? Lord of War much?

8 hours ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

It's just very different. If you keep and open mind while starting out, after a week you're good imo, especially now that most apps "just work" on it. It's nothing like it used to be. 🙂

One could say the same about "stick shifters" for automobiles and try to sell such cars in the US.

I like Linux, but I think that for average users (office and other tasks) and gamers it is still not user-friendly enough.

Similar could be said about the Linux software. There is a lot of great FOS software, but for some things, the support for Linux is not as good.

I suppose software developers don't expect to sell (m)any copies for Linux, it's not OS's fault "directly," but it can still suck for users.

Again, it's been a long time since I tried to get someone to give Linux a try and see feedback, so I may be very wrong on this.

A thought:

If the LTT video praised Linux, would it have reached more popularity (Linux, not LTT) - resulting in better support overall?
I've seen a lot of "tech." people promote it, but I haven't seen promotions made by people who address "a wide audience." Maybe there is a good reason for that (marketing A-B testing or similar). Maybe not.

BikeGremlin
Mostly Harmless ™

2 minutes ago, Synchor said:

I reproach others for making their money by exploiting others goodwill by lying and having a lack of morals. Are you really arguing that it doesn't matter how you make money, as long as you make money? Lord of War much?

Your comparisons are silly, again. You are making a drama.

2 minutes ago, Basti0815 said:

Your comparisons are silly, again. You are making a drama.

I don't think unethical business practices are "drama;" I think they are more societal problems that need to be solved on every level, and I'm not willing to excuse someone for participating in them because I like their YouTube videos. You're coming off as a sociopath who only cares about issues when they directly affect themselves. Not saying you are, but those arguments are indicative of that view point.

38 minutes ago, Synchor said:

I don't think unethical business practices are "drama;" 

I didn't say that. I said that your comparisons are stupid: "Lord of War much?" You are dramatising.

28 minutes ago, Basti0815 said:

I didn't say that. I said that your comparisons are stupid: "Lord of War much?" You are dramatising.

War profiteering is just as acceptable as clickbait, using your logic. Obviously, clickbait is not as bad, but that not the point; the point is if you excuse ANY bad business practice, regardless of what business or who is implementing it, then YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM. Clickbait is effective because people like you click even when you know its bait, but don't care. An rotten apple is rotten, even if it is still on the branch

I don't blame them one bit. Youtube viewers respond well to click bait thumbnails. If they didn't, then no one would use them.

On 8/23/2023 at 4:06 AM, Cosmic Emotion said:

The PopOS thing was Linus's fault, the warning was pretty apparent, no sane person would actually go ahead with something like that. Beyond that, he clearly didn't care to even try. He should have lost the bet.

I love Linux. I daily drive Fedora. But most of the people around me are not computer people. I've seen how they behave (I help them with computer problems, haha). Most of them can't even figure out how to use Windows. Heck, many of them can't even figure out to use their iPhone. They'd be absolutely hopeless on any Linux distro. Not that it matters because 90% of what they use a computer for is to use websites, and they can't figure out how to use the website. The OS they use is irrelevant at that point.

As far as reading warnings/errors, my experience tells me otherwise. Many people, and a disturbingly large number of them, have a reflex to make any and all warnings/errors go away, as if somehow that fixes the problem. These people never read errors. It doesn't matter if it is put on a modal that requires interaction, if the text is red and large, etc. They will simply never read it. Instead they just click whatever buttons are necessary to go away. They only come to me for help when they need help making the message go away. They don't understand that the message is just that: It is a message about the actual problem, it isn't the problem itself. Classic example is low or or full disks -- they close every warning box about low disk free without reading or thinking, and then are caught by surprise when their computer starts crashing when the disk is full. 🤦‍♂️

Sorry about the rant, its just a particular pet peeve of mine. But point being, plenty of sane people don't read warnings. They should, but 🤷‍♂️

On 8/23/2023 at 4:52 PM, Absentia13 said:

The videos now are giant bouncing text, over-emphasis on "buzz" words or phrases at the beginning of the video, turning the entire production into a circus-like atmosphere.

I've noticed this as well. If I had to guess, it started maybe about 9 months ago? The opening 60-ish seconds of almost every video basically had to have some kind of wacky textover or goofy editing to make it more "extreme". Personally not a fan of this style though it doesn't bother me enough to not watch, but clearly it must be a positive on their retention metrics. I have seen that this style is all over YouTube for a couple years now on popular videos, so I guess its something the overall YouTube audience wants.

I doubt this style was by Linus' choice. He's talked about this topic before on WAN show, and how he misses the classic opening titles on videos and the slower starts, but the metrics don't lie and the "in your face for the first 60 seconds" is what performs better.

If I am looking for a review of a product. I am going to gravitate to the videos that have the products name in the title with the word review after it. If the video is long I am more inclined to watch as it implies extensive testing. 

As for the Linux challenge. I’m not a Linux user and would be as lost as any non Linux user. But how a video like that should go is to have the self awareness to be able to admit you don’t know, admit you aren’t familiar with it, and seek the help and assistance required to learn a new system. 

Im a read the manual guy. 

I see a lot of replies that take for granted that Linux is more difficult than Windows. It's not. It's just different. If you give Linux and Windows to a baby they will tell you Linux is easier. I know cause I've done it. My niece and nephew are always excited to even see Linux on my PC just because it looks cooler (Gaurda).

The fact they also use it for gaming seems completely insane to people here and yet millions of people do it. I keep running benchmarks and every DX11 game is faster on Linux. So Linux is not just cooler and easier. It's also more performant, even for normies (not to say especially).

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

I see a lot of replies that take for granted that Linux is more difficult than Windows. It's not. It's just different. If you give Linux and Windows to a baby they will tell you Linux is easier. I know cause I've done it. My niece and nephew are always excited to even see Linux on my PC just because it looks cooler (Gaurda).

The fact they also use it for gaming seems completely insane to people here and yet millions of people do it. I keep running benchmarks and every DX11 game is faster on Linux. So Linux is not just cooler and easier. It's also more performant, even for normies (not to say especially).

The biggest mistake with going from windows, to Linux, to Mac OS is expecting them to work the same. Once people accept that things are easier to learn. 

However I tried an android tablet one time and decided I wanted nothing to do with android at all. 

I think there are several different audiences to consider for LMG. I don't mind clickbait titles but that's also because I watch LTT every day, mostly for entertainment and also tech news. I don't give a rat's hoot about the actual product they're reviewing, I just like getting to know the team and enjoying the work of the writers. Just because a title is clickbait doesn't make the video bad. YouTube's system demands clickbait to reach the 1M views per video that LTT gets. MrBeast and PewDiePie have proven what it takes to reach the top. And clickbait also creates a sense of mystery that actually makes me inclined to watch the full video.

If you want boring honest YouTube video titles and thumbanils, then download the Clickbait Remover extension available on Chrome and Firefox. 

1 minute ago, keef_khan said:

I think there are several different audiences to consider for LMG. I don't mind clickbait titles but that's also because I watch LTT every day, mostly for entertainment and also tech news. I don't give a rat's hoot about the actual product they're reviewing, I just like getting to know the team and enjoying the work of the writers. Just because a title is clickbait doesn't make the video bad. YouTube's system demands clickbait to reach the 1M views per video that LTT gets. MrBeast and PewDiePie have proven what it takes to reach the top. And clickbait also creates a sense of mystery that actually makes me inclined to watch the full video.

If you want boring honest YouTube video titles and thumbanils, then download the Clickbait Remover extension available on Chrome and Firefox. 

I am definitely not the intended audience for click bait. I have never watched a mr beast of pewdiepie video. If people didn’t mention them I’d have no idea who they were. 

Floatplane users, help me out here.

Is it true that the same video on Floatplane will have different, no-clickbait titles compares to YouTube?

Or am I mis-remembering things I saw on a screenshot somewhere...

Anyways, the "logic" makes sense to me.

1. I have to drive views to my channel.

2. Clickbait works wonderfully.

3. Some of my current fans/viewers are annoyed by clickbait.

4. Are they annoyed enough to no longer watch my videos? Not really. Or at least the number of people coming in vastly outweigh the numbers dropping out.

5. So I continue to clickbait (presumably until it doesn't work anymore)

On 8/23/2023 at 1:30 PM, Neroon said:

But it wasn't just Linus, it was also Luke, who also struggled a lot.

A lot is about intended use case. Their point of view was how Linux was for basically newbies, who do have the know how to tinker with their OS, but still have basically 0 knowledge of the OS.

Now you say Pop OS was his fault, but I just searched for "easy to use Linux distros" and the first his gave me Pop OS in it's top 10 list. And they aren't the only one, multiple sites on the first page, has Pop OS (and some specifically mention how good it is for gamers, which was an important part) at the top. And this is 1 of the issues. Windows is Windows. You grab the latest version and you should be fine. MacOS the same thing. But not with Linux.

In the end the goal was to see how it would be to go from Windows to Linux.

I get it, Linux users are defensive about their platform. They also tend to be powerusers, and like to tinker with their OS. But for casual and even more advanced users, the OS requires a ton of work, to get where they are in Windows, and even then things will not always work as they would on Windows. That's definitely not always the fault of Linux, but also due to support. But as a consumer, you don't want to think too long as to whether something will work or not.

I want to say I do consider myself tech-savvy but some things are super frustrating in Linux, for example I still haven't managed to get either SDDM or GDM3 to run at my native 144hz refresh rate with my side monitors disabled and honestly I don't care what everyone says about the terminal or config files, please give me a GUI to configure this kind of stuff.

49 minutes ago, Darth Xaim said:

Anyways, the "logic" makes sense to me.

1. I have to drive views to my channel.

2. Clickbait works wonderfully.

3. Some of my current fans/viewers are annoyed by clickbait.

4. Are they annoyed enough to no longer watch my videos? Not really. Or at least the number of people coming in vastly outweigh the numbers dropping out.

5. So I continue to clickbait (presumably until it doesn't work anymore)

If you don't want so many clickbaits, you might give the extension "DeArrow" a try. I really like it, immediately bought a license to support the developer (he also did SponsorBlock... which I would never use, of course).

On 8/25/2023 at 2:36 AM, Cosmic Emotion said:

What does Windows actually offer?

A low barrier of entry. I'm well versed in computer things and could probably figure my way around a Linux environment, but a regular person doesn't want to deal with all the quirks that comes with linux. 

IMO, one of the factors for OS choice is location.

In my country, if you run any computer OS other that Windows, you're basically playing a game on Iron Man, Hard Mode, Zero Tutorial, 1HP run; based on the overwhelming "support" for the Windows software (ahoy, matey). 

Heck, I had to trouble-shoot a colleagues Macbook once, and she can't keep up with a easy Youtube video on how to burn a bloody DVD. She eventually resold her Macbook to get a Windows laptop.

Let's just say I do not have high hopes for people in my country transitioning anytime soon to any Linux distros.

On 8/28/2023 at 4:23 PM, Aapje said:

How did this turn into a Linux topic?

lol.

Someone took issue with how LTT presented Linux during the Linux 30 Days Challenge.

Misreprentation ----> Click-bait.