Ubuntu fails to start, I suspect the problem is within the autofs module of the kernel. The network is unavailable, cannot patch the kernel with apt.

Go to solution Solved by AAVVIronAlex,

Solution for the people coming here in the future:

Special thanks to u/New_Avocado_2315 on r/linuxmasterrace for their initial hint. This all started because I had a bad xorg.conf file, and likely I would stay with that because I am getting a new GPU which will replace my primary GT 1030 with the HD 6450 that is the secondary now. That will mean that I have a full nvidia system, and the xorg.conf will generate itself automatically when the system starts.

The problem was caused because of a HDD connected to the PC at that time. I had cloned that HDD into my SSD when I upgraded to it, the reason why I connected it back to the system was because the xorg.conf there was working fine (this broke because there was a time that I changed my primary GPU to my brother's 980Ti) and when I came back it broke. Something about the way how both drives (almost identical) were setup caused the system to perform such anomalies. Which I do understand. I just removed the drive, and I will later copy the xorg.conf file when I have time (without the SSD plugged in). It was already too much for today.

Thanks for the effort to everyone. I really enjoyed parts of this process and remember Documentation is key. We shall make the future see this!

9tafv59nd3jb1.thumb.webp.bd5dac7be2ad106aeabdab4aa7e6a490.webp

Startup errors, I do not know what to do after a lot of tinkering. There are similar issues I found on the internet, this is after a kernel update and some random driver issues.

l2lo1fqod3jb1.thumb.webp.7af874db3b084896f735561a9885a5e4.webp

Some of the things I tried, these are the most noteworthy. Ask me in the comments if you need more. (because I did try more)

14va7h1qd3jb1.thumb.webp.8b7165b6c37631edf4617531ec97e107.webp

Kernel version

The network is unavailable, so I cannot patch the kernel with apt, what are my choices. I would rather stick with this installation.

Also I run Nvidia and AMD, using both for different displays. I have searched and could not find a way to install that kernel module that was broken. My kernel is the 6.2.0-26-generic one. Please ask if you need more information a fix for this is kind of urgent. Thanks a lot.

I have made various post about this on Reddit if you would like to follow along.

Booting with previous kernel?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

28 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Booting with previous kernel?

I tried, the same happened.

Booting from a Live for try to check and troubleshoot your storage filesystem?

Please, edit topic title and add your current Ubuntu release.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

When stuff this bad happens I often find myself spending WAY more time troubleshooting then it would be to throw my hands up and start over. IMO the best use of your time is to reinstall and hope it doesn't happen again. It could be a one off issue so if it DOES happen again THEN learn how the fix it.

I don't wanna sound cynical but Ubuntu is the last stable distro in the world. Reinstall something like OpenSUSE or NixoOS imo.

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

Solution for the people coming here in the future:

Special thanks to u/New_Avocado_2315 on r/linuxmasterrace for their initial hint. This all started because I had a bad xorg.conf file, and likely I would stay with that because I am getting a new GPU which will replace my primary GT 1030 with the HD 6450 that is the secondary now. That will mean that I have a full nvidia system, and the xorg.conf will generate itself automatically when the system starts.

The problem was caused because of a HDD connected to the PC at that time. I had cloned that HDD into my SSD when I upgraded to it, the reason why I connected it back to the system was because the xorg.conf there was working fine (this broke because there was a time that I changed my primary GPU to my brother's 980Ti) and when I came back it broke. Something about the way how both drives (almost identical) were setup caused the system to perform such anomalies. Which I do understand. I just removed the drive, and I will later copy the xorg.conf file when I have time (without the SSD plugged in). It was already too much for today.

Thanks for the effort to everyone. I really enjoyed parts of this process and remember Documentation is key. We shall make the future see this!