Switching to Linux, but WHICH ONE?

Go to solution Solved by sageofredondo,
14 minutes ago, Hensen Juang said:

@sageofredondo聽What is the hardware mitigation thingy you told? Also, about the drivers, I couldn't really find Intel gpu drivers, but probably I didn't try to find it very well. I've seen other people install it.

What do you mean you didn't find them? They should have just worked on a live boot.

For Haswell, the 4000 series laptop you have, it needs the i915 driver. This is built into the kernel and mesa; it should work perfectly fine out of the box on a modern distro.

Both AMD (AMDGPU) and Intel (i915 for most modern devices, except Xe, which will handle Intel Arc and 12th gen+ in the future) do have vendor provider drivers like Nvidia does. But unlike Nvidia both Intel and AMD support the open source drivers so you do not have to do anything extra. The open source built in drivers often run better than the vendor provided stuff.

Read more here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#top-page

You can read more about hardware mitigations here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Improving_performance#Turn_off_CPU_exploit_mitigations

Insert the text:

mitigations=off i915.mitigations=off

to the same line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=", just before the closing ".

The first item I wrote disables it for the cpu to improve performance. The second disables it for the igpu for Intel machines; otherwise it causes really bad graphical performance on Haswell.

Why don't you try installing a distro and snap a screenshot of what issue you have and post it here?

I have no idea if the above about mitigations works on TinyCore; you will have to get help from them on that. It should work with Ubuntu family, Debian, Fedora, etc. Others can correct me but I think Arch/Manjaro handles grub a little differently?

Just now, Dat Guy said:

My first (and only) Gentoo installation took me a week and I killed it by updating the kernel. Sigh.

Oh god that blows. I feel like every time I venture outside the Debian family tree, with the exception of Fedora, it invites way to many issues.

20 minutes ago, HeroRareheart said:

If you go even further GenToo could, in theory, run better.

True, but they would need to compile for ages. Arch is EZ PZ. 馃檪

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

True, but they would need to compile for ages. Arch is EZ PZ. 馃檪

You are correct, but I still hate both equally for different reasons.