Madison reveals experiences working at LMG

baK1
Message added by SansVarnic,

*03NOV2023: Topic is now locked for the time until the investigation results are released, will not be re-open prior.*

We the Moderation Team understand this is a hot topic. Many have their own views and opinions on this subject. We request that members keep comments on the topic and refrain from personal attacks and derailments. We are diligently working to keep this thread clean and civil. Please do your part and follow the expectations and rules of the forum.

Violators will of course receive action against their commentary if we feel you have crossed the line. This is not an action to censor or silence you, it is an action to remove and prevent violations of the forum rules and keep the forum clean and civil.

That said. If your comment was removed, likely it was due to the above. If you have an issue, take it up with the mods via a pm and we will discuss it with you.

Lastly please only report comments if they violate the forum rules.

Please do not report comments with only opposing opinions, it eats up the report system.

12 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

I need all the detail to be able to figure out in how far they're speaking the truth or embellishing things. If you leave things vague, it means nothing can be done since I won't reprimand someone without knowing EXACTLY what to reprimand them for.

You're not the one doing the reprimanding thou in this case.  If she started naming names publicly (or gave enough hints for people to work it out) she opens up a whole other can of worms around defamation.  Start dropping too many details, it's only a small building and company, people will work it out. 

The leaked audio the day after she left is pretty chilling in hindsight as a union rep.  

Go have a off the record chat, don't tell management, there is an "anonymous" form we control but don't advertise that you can use. 

36 minutes ago, dominikremes said:

. If there will be real hard evidence, I can accept that

Exactly what "hard evidence" would appease you ? And how do you suggest that be obtained in a workplace ?

On 8/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, Dangerbone said:

Those are all important things to consider. I'm trying to avoid my knee-jerk bias against spurious MeToo tweets because she may have something of merit to say. Though receipts would make her account more believable.

That's the point. until 30 minutes ago I would have told anyone that I think Linus as well as Madison are pretty trustworthy people if you ask my gut.

there have been way too many cases of false allegations with and after the #metoo movement so it could be "just another grab at attention.

also, as someone else put it " Tech men abusing a young woman. That is about as surprising as winter in Canada." which is a valid argument to consider too.

so, since my gut is clearly in a logical contradiction because I neither think she is lying nor do I think that if that really happened, Linus wouldn't have stepped in sooner or later and corrected this, I will sit back and wait for more information. that's the only thing I can do anyways without making a fool out of myself and believe either without proof, because trust is a rare resource in this matter now

3 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

The notebook thing was an odd thing to be so specific about which is why it feels so weird how she leaves all the rest incredibly vague. The problem is that you cannot do anything with such vague accusations. At work I have to mediate between workers as well and quite frequently and if one makes an accusation, I need all the detail to be able to figure out in how far they're speaking the truth or embellishing things. If you leave things vague, it means nothing can be done since I won't reprimand someone without knowing EXACTLY what to reprimand them for.

I dunno, my gut tells me she was poorly treated but that she's trying to make some things sound worse than they are by keeping them vague.

She's technically both a social media manager and a "face" streamer. She's experienced and skilled in the Social Media space. She also made the thread in chunks, taking time between parts, so it was not just stream of consciousness tweeting.  Which also means not naming the people in her section that caused her trouble was intentional. 

As I keep repeating, this isn't going to end well for anyone.

5 minutes ago, dominikremes said:

I mean yes, it could have been, but based on my experience, these offers rarely do last more than a few days. Yes, if she applied to lots of places, than yes, but if I was in a situation that bad, I wouldn't really hesitate to accept an offer that seems fine when I get it

You said you don't believe her because interviews take in excess of 15 minutes. I pointed out a very simple explanation as to how she could've had an interview before this point. You're now changing your theory to be about how most employers wouldn't have waited more than two days.

Neither of us have any idea on how it went down, obviously. But to dismiss it on the grounds of "interviews take more than 15 minutes" and then to change that to "I wouldn't really hesitate" just sounds like you're actively trying to find reasons this is her caught in a lie, despite there being plenty of totally valid reasons the two posts can both be true. Hell, maybe she'd accepted it but hadn't put in her letter yet or worked out the specifics, and the comment simply pushed her to say "screw it, I'm just quitting right now".

Maybe she didn't, maybe the two are contradictory. My point is just that I don't think there's enough there to make the assumption that she's definitely lying and that both can't be true simultaneously.

19 hours ago, dago_mcj said:

She said a manager once told her to "calm her tits".  Here's a quick challenge. Find who at LMG has said "calm your tits" the most.  I can only find one and he works on the writing team.

End my suffering and give a hint as to who you are refering to please as I cannot work this one out. I have one person in my mind but the job title dosent fit the name.

I dont particularly have a horse in this race, I am not on the forums actively but I do lurk, I have watched LMG since maybe 2016/2017 and enjoyed the content. This thread has been a hell of a read.

If Madison's claims are in any way true then she should certinaly seek legal help and I hope she finds justice but at the oppoiste end of the scale it could well be either made up (or a couple of interactions that have grew many legs and arms) or it has been banter completley taken out of context and possibly been sorted had these indivduals took her more seriously when she was trying to speak with them, management belittling staff is not uncommon unfortunately and it should not stand in any workplace but reality is we are far far away from a world where it will never exist. 

I am not saying this is OK even if it was banter taken out of context either by the way its not acceptable for anyone to feel uncomfartable at work, where I come from we rip on everyone and anything all day everyday men and woman, so its easy to fall into the trap of ohh its fine when everyone else feels the same way in a working enviroment.

The workload claims I do struggle with, she was not expecting the job to be a walk in the park surely, it seems a fun place on camera but so does every Youtube video or TV show/movie, there is serious work going on in the background. Her first video on LTT she was the one cracking all the "Jokes" which is a fair thing to point out based on her claims also.

LMG need to pull their socks up for various reasons brought to light but Madisons claims have also came at the worst time and my fear is that if LMG ignore it which they are totally in their right to do until Madison files a proper claim with the relative people then any work LMG do now to turn around the other issues brought to light will end up being over shadowed by not taking this head on and addressing it properly as it will be known as the place not to work if you dont want sexually harrased which in my mind still seems crazy to think if true.

2 minutes ago, Mertrodome said:

You said you don't believe her because interviews take in excess of 15 minutes. I pointed out a very simple explanation as to how she could've had an interview before this point. You're now changing your theory to be about how most employers wouldn't have waited more than two days.

Neither of us have any idea on how it went down, obviously. But to dismiss it on the grounds of "interviews take more than 15 minutes" and then to change that to "I wouldn't really hesitate" just sounds like you're actively trying to find reasons this is her caught in a lie, despite there being plenty of totally valid reasons the two posts can both be true. Hell, maybe she'd accepted it but hadn't put in her letter yet or worked out the specifics, and the comment simply pushed her to say "screw it, I'm just quitting right now".

Maybe she didn't, maybe the two are contradictory. My point is just that I don't think there's enough there to make the assumption that she's definitely lying and that both can't be true simultaneously.

The fact she was already looking for another job doesn't seem weird to me at all considering she felt ill at ease. At one time I was so fed up with my previous boss I had planned a job interview. It makes sense that she was debating about changing jobs because LTT IS a huge spring board. That remark probably pushed her over the edge.

11 hours ago, Neroon said:

If she feared all that, why did she immediately after she parted ways with LMG, go online to imply more was going on? If you are worried about retaliation, that's the last thing you want to do.

Oh please, I've heard way wilder stories then this. Almost everyone in my team has been accused sexual abuse of a 16 year old girl at the grouphome I work, we are all pedophiles, touched her etc. This is also a girl who has pulled a knife on us many times, also glass shards, broken plates, chairs etc. If you think there aren't people that make up so much shit, then you have no idea. Oh and to be clear, I had colleagues who at first didn't believe what we said either, and were sure there was some truth to what she said, until they were the ones getting accused.

Plenty of crazy people are out there, don't you worry about that... or do.

In the end, she offers 0 context. Why do you think that is? There is a reason for that, think long and hard about why someone doesn't want to offer context.

So you're just equating some crazy person who tried to knife you to a girl who worked at LMG doing social media stuff? Maybe your problem is that you can't separate YOU from anything else. Just because something you saw happened in a certain way doesn't mean it's that way in every situation. I feel like this shouldn't even need to be said. But since it does, I guess that says a lot about you. Move along. 

Personally, after seeing all the stuff going on. If an independent investigator is coming in, then the findings either in document form or a video should be released, raw and unedited.   The tendency to make things look slick have a negative effect when it comes to stuff like this.  I'm hoping there was more of a disagreement rather than harassment however we will have to wait for the findings.

1 hour ago, dominikremes said:

Well, I've definitely seen at least 2 of her posts that kinda cancel each other out. First she wrote that she was told something inappropriate and she quit 15 minutes after. In an other twitter post, she was replying to someone who asked how she had the stomach to quit, she wrote, that she started applying to jobs and she accepted an offer and quit. Did she do it in 15 minutes? I mean, an interview usually takes at least 30 minutes to an hour in my experience, soo, I don't really believe her. Think she was just mad for having to do some work. Maybe with some real evidence she can change my mind, but right now, things just don't add up. I mean, it seems pretty unbelievable to have a job offered to you just around when someone tells you something you don't like.

image.png.dda3805db70924367fcb77a5baa65f8e.pngimage.png.6e2e714089a5dad162d0270cea096c51.png

These things do not cancel eachother out.

You can spend weeks looking for new work, and decide to hand in your notice earlier than you planned because of something that happens.

She had decided to look for work elsewhere, and the stupid and offensive remarks pushed her to file her notice 15 minutes later.

1 minute ago, nyanbinary said:

r/LinusTechTips - Colin's (Ex-LTT) take on Madison's claims

He just said that her story is consistent. Which does give it more merit. But does not prove anything more. 

Anyway, let the investigators investigate, dont go after anyone, be it the accuser or speculated who the accused might be and start a witch hunt. 

1 minute ago, stuffybear said:

He just said that her story is consistent. Which does give it more merit. But does not prove anything more. 

Anyway, let the investigators investigate, dont go after anyone, be it the accuser or speculated who the accused might be and start a witch hunt. 

More to the point, it proves that her story hasn't changed from back then - ie it's the same story she told him at the time. That's actually quite important.

The only other conclusion, with a tiny bit of supposition, is that he feels that it's believable enough to comment publicly and open himself up to the shitstorm.

even if it had videos, it wouldn't be enough proof for some people.

good luck for LTT employees, I don't think (nor hope?) the company will ever recover from it. 

5 minutes ago, Absentia13 said:

So you're just equating some crazy person who tried to knife you to a girl who worked at LMG doing social media stuff? Maybe your problem is that you can't separate YOU from anything else. Just because something you saw happened in a certain way doesn't mean it's that way in every situation. I feel like this shouldn't even need to be said. But since it does, I guess that says a lot about you. Move along. 

Both of you use weird logic - he's right that there's plenty of crazy people, even ones that seem perfectly normal and sane but are capable of the most screwed up accusations but there's no evidence that this is the case here. There's ALSO no evidence that's she's speaking the (complete) truth and she IS keeping very vague and you can (and I already have) speculate about why this is but we need more than a few colleagues going "Yeah I heard about that" as evidence. 

4 minutes ago, Guarana said:

even if it had videos, it wouldn't be enough proof for some people.

good luck for LTT employees, I don't think (nor hope?) the company will ever recover from it. 

I may be wrong, but as a general rule people generally only turn to posting/commenting/etc when they are upset. And when upset people see other upset people posting the create this echo chamber that skews their perception. I don't think the company is going anywhere.

10 minutes ago, stuffybear said:

True, and only a fraction of her posts talk about any sort of harassment. The majority have to do with workload demands and demanding expectations, which is not a big story considering that's been talked about for a long time internally and externally. So he would have to be a little more clear in his tweet, which comes off as safe, to specify which part is in line, or both. He has the opportunity to do so, but hasn't. 

1 minute ago, DakotaCx said:

I may be wrong, but as a general rule people generally only turn to posting/commenting/etc when they are upset. And when upset people see other upset people posting the create this echo chamber that skews their perception. I don't think the company is going anywhere.

Oh LTT probably won't go anywhere. I'm old enough to know that. I just don't think the company will be seen the same way it was before, nor I'm willing to give my money to a company sponsoring their videos. 

one thing that bothers me is that in that LTT tweet regarding Madison's situation, Linus made it seem like he didn't know about that and he was willing to act to avoid those kinds of problems.

good I was ready to give him a pass.

but the leaked audio of the meeting not only corroborates her story but makes it clear as water that the whole company DID KNOW what was going on. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a meeting about it.

and James making a sex joke in a meeting about sexual harassment? wtf...

From the bottom of my heart, I wish all the best to Madison and also Emily and the other cool people that work there. You guys don't deserve this shitstorm and I hope you all can find a better place to work.

(my English sucks, so I'm sorry if I write anything wrong).

1 hour ago, 620R said:

Tbh sex-related and sexual harassment are different things. One deals with the sex of the person (Male, Female, Intersex etc) and the other is generally related to sexual shenanigans. A bit of a nitpick but they are different things

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, Majestic12 said:If you grab a colleague by the waist as if to dance, that can be "inappropriate" but this is not what people here are suspecting. They think they grabbed her boobs or ass. 

The answer is no, you don’t grab a colleague by the waist at your own discretion whenever you want wherever you want. 

That so many in this thread are questioning “inappropriate touching” as some kind of minefield of a grey area, is I’m sorry to say, on you, and unfortunately all the people who gets harassed by the “boys club mentality”. 

Not saying that females can’t do inappropriate touching too,sure they do, and it’s just as bad too.

17 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

Both of you use weird logic - he's right that there's plenty of crazy people, even ones that seem perfectly normal and sane but are capable of the most screwed up accusations but there's no evidence that this is the case here. There's ALSO no evidence that's she's speaking the (complete) truth and she IS keeping very vague and you can (and I already have) speculate about why this is but we need more than a few colleagues going "Yeah I heard about that" as evidence. 

Why is it vague, because she didn't include timestamps? Seemed pretty specific to me. Another way to rationalize not believing someone unreasonably. Do I think everything she said happened exactly the way she said it? No. But there is too much there for it to be nothing. Apparently LMG agrees, with hiring an outside firm to investigate. 

1. Gashing your own leg to the point of needing to have it stapled in an ER so that you can take time off of work is batshit crazy.

2. It appears that a #Metoo SuperKaren unstoppable force collided with a FTX sexual harassment rule ignoring nerd kingdom immovable object.

3. LTT will most likely end up with the short end of the stick.

IMG_0596.jpeg

On 8/16/2023 at 7:33 AM, baK1 said:

any comments on this, linus? what the fuck???

These allegations are very congruent as per LTT employees descriptions of working at LTT and the relentless demands on productivity. 

The sexual assault allegations are also realistic, she probably has some evidence that she does not need to make public, and there is possibly a fellow female LTT employee (current or former) who can corroborate a similar experience, all of which needs to be handled appropriately. 

ANY employee accused of sexual assault should be immediately suspended to allow for a proper investigation and fired if any wrongdoings are found with appropriate criminal chargers brought against them.

******IF********, and it's a huge IF, Madison has made up the allegations (which I don't think she has but it does need to be evidenced and I think she will be vindicated in the end given how detailed her tweets were), she should face relevant criminal charges. 

2 minutes ago, dago_mcj said:

Well, to the best of my knowledge it was jimbo. But let me make clear, just because he's said the phrase once on camera, doesn't necessarily mean he was the person who told Madison to do the same. But odds are odds.  I like his demeanor on camera, but I'm afraid I've also opened pandora's box. Maybe don't fire him? How about a demotion and make Riley head writer instead? Please? Don't ruin a career just because I brought up internet drama.

If anyone did get fired, it wouldn't be for using a phrase - that's only opening the door to investigate further to see if they're one of the ones Madison's talking about.

10 minutes ago, Super_goose_007 said:

Not saying that females can’t do inappropriate touching too,sure they do, and it’s just as bad too.

Indeed. As an autistic guy, I've had this happen a number of times earlier in my career. When I brought it up because it made me deeply uncomfortable (unexpected  and inappropriate physical contact kinda feels like an electric shock to me) as I understood you're supposed to, I was always told "Well, you should just appreciate the affection and be flattered".

My conclusion was that the boys' club mentality goes both ways, and both suck.

7 minutes ago, Absentia13 said:

Why is it vague, because she didn't include timestamps? Seemed pretty specific to me. Another way to rationalize not believing someone unreasonably. Do I think everything she said happened exactly the way she said it? No. But there is too much there for it to be nothing. Apparently LMG agrees, with hiring an outside firm to investigate. 

Reminds me of the joke

" - I don't believe someone can fake such story

- Bro have you watched Star Wars

"