cheap way to build a smallish NAS

_Omega_

I want to build a NAS on the cheap to have a second backup for my data ( i have a cold backup but i only back it every few month) and a bit as a small "media server".

I would say  that the available space (After Raid or similar) should be at least 10 TB with the option to upgrade down the line. I dont need more than 1 Gbit as the buil,din switch in my router does not support anything more anyways, but the nas should run as quiet as possible and be reasonably efficient. 

What is (subjectively) the best way to build a NAS on the cheap nowadays? An SBC like a Pi (or more likely a more affordable board) or just buying an old office pc?

Thanks for any input, i quite new to the world of NASs but i look for a new project anyways so i might as well build something that i need. 

26 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For your needs a used office pc OR you spend for new and get a ryzen 5600g and then run it for like 10-15 years.

The 5600g sounds like a good idea since I plan on updating my cpu anyways and could use my then old am4 board for the 5600g

used office pc, or if you prefer new hardware, boards like these are good fun to play with, and once you add up all the bits and pieces.. cheaper than a raspberry pi these days...

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J5040-ITX/

oh, and unlike a raspberry pi, even the cheaper boards than the J5040 stuff (which is top of the line, if you'd believe it...) carry enough "oomph" to run some extra services for you.

on the note of asrock embedded boards, apparently a new one released this year:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/N100M/index.asp

I recently got a custom motherboard disassembled from a crypto miner, with Celeron 3965U embedded, and it only cost 128 Chinese Yuan (including RAM & SSD). Pair it with proper power cables, a 12V power supply & a used hard drive (>12 TB, intended for CHIA farming), then a NAS you desired for is born. It's sort of like SBCs but with much more functionalities (based on x86 rather than Arm).

If such stuff was too wild for you, then a used office PC could be considered, such as the HP ProDesk/EliteDesk SFF series (yeah I'm utilizing HP 800 G3 SFF as my server).😃

IMG20230705165256.jpg

Spoiler

great idea, would really like to get my hand on such a board but as dedicated mining "SBCs" are very uncommon here in germany i cant find any of them used... not even on AliExpress... Ill just wait for a good listing of an older office pc, seems like the best option for me 

13 hours ago, _Omega_ said:

great idea, would really like to get my hand on such a board but as dedicated mining "SBCs" are very uncommon here in germany i cant find any of them used... not even on AliExpress... Ill just wait for a good listing of an older office pc, seems like the best option for me 

This stuff actually belongs to Industrial Computers (IPC), and it manage a couple of GPUs for mining via external PCIe cords. You could try to search "3965U mini PC", although it's unlikely to grab this exact board outside of China.

Depending on what you define as cheap… Odroid HC4 is kinda perfect for this purpose: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-hc4/

put in two 16 TB drives for raid1 reliability and you’re off to the races

absolutely sips power. I’ve been running an HC1, which is a single 2.5 inch older brother of the HC4 for years now as my dedicated offsite backup machine.