Linus Backpack does it count as personal item in Frontier?

macmus

Did anyone tried to fit linus backpack as personal item on airlines?

Personal Items: Personal items can be no larger than 14” tall, 18” wide, and 8” long. Personal items must  fit completely within the personal item portion of the bag sizer. Think purses, totes, computer bags, briefcases, and kids backpacks!

Compare that to the dimensions of the backpack. 

Source: https://faq.flyfrontier.com/help/bags-seats-general-info-what-are-the-sizes-and-weight-limits-for-bags

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

It doesn't seem to be accepted. But did anyone tried ?

Linux backpack:

Height: 18.75" / 47.63cm (excluding handle)
Width: 13" / 33.02cm (excluding straps)
Depth: 11.5" / 29.21cm

Personal Items:

Personal items can be no larger than 14” tall, 18” wide, and 8” long. 

I don't know Frontier.... and assume all airlines have similar limits. But in practice people get away with what I consider 2 carry on bags plus pillows, pool bags, stuffed animals and so on. It is a shit show and I wish they would enforce the rules at least a bit.

So YMMV depending on the mood of the flight attendant and their willingness to have you cause a scene.

Since they started charging for checked luggage, it got worse. That's also part of the reason security check is a mess.

So from my observation, bringing 5 bags and a comfort or service alligator are perfectly fine 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

2 hours ago, Lurking said:

Since they started charging for checked luggage,

Thats bullshit. 

Amtrak allows 2 carry ons and 2 checked bags for free and two personal items. Which is why train travel in my opinion is suppierous to air travel. Because Amtrak at least tries to treat you right while airlines treat people like cattle. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I took it on Southwest with zero issues

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

• 2 weeks later...

`tried it on 15 flights the last 5 months, it fits. 

On 8/12/2023 at 5:18 AM, macmus said:

Did anyone tried to fit linus backpack as personal item on airlines?

Measure it. Then verify with your air company.

Ryanair tends to be an 4ss about personal item size.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

On 8/13/2023 at 3:15 PM, Lurking said:

is a shit show and I wish they would enforce the rules at least a bit.

I’ve heard some airlines now charge for carryons, so no incentive to enforce the rules when they can make more money. 

I had my backpack under the seat on a number of Southwest flights in the past year, no issues. I had it pretty full and it was close to the limit but was fine once I pulled out my Steam Deck. 

I would imagine it wouldn't really differ between airlines so much as it would between different Aircraft. My experiences on all the flights I BELIEVE were on Boeing 737 Max 8 models. I imagine across the board the dimensions will be pretty similar unless you happen to be on a much smaller aircraft for a shorter flight. The model of aircraft is shown on some ticketing sites, or you might be able to look it up based on flight number and date.

Gaming Rig - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock), ND-D15 Chromax Black, MSI Gaming Gaming X Trio RTX 3070, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gig (2 x 16G) DDR4 3600 (stock), Phanteks Eclipse P500A, 5x Noctua NF-P14 redux-1500, Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB (boot), 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB NVMe (game libraries), 2x Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB (storage), 2x Dell (27") S2721DGF, 2x Asus (24") VP249QGR, Windows 10 Pro, SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless, Vive Pro 2, Valve Index

NAS /Plex Server - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB (2U), X8DTN+, 2x E5620 (Stock), 72GB DDR3 ECC, 2x Samsung 860 EVO (500GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2, 2x WD 10TB white label (Easy Store shucks), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Other Servers -2x Supermicro CSE-813M ABC-03 (1U), X9SCL, i3-2120 (stock), 8 Gigs DDR3, 4x Patriot Burst 120GB SSD (Raid10 OS array), Mushkin MKNSSDHL250GB-D8 NVMe (game drive), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - RAID 10 failed after a power outage... dang.

It can fit under the seat ahead of you, right? Otherwise it can go in an overhead compartment so it should be good to take.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

On 8/13/2023 at 3:15 PM, Lurking said:

I don't know Frontier.... and assume all airlines have similar limits. But in practice people get away with what I consider 2 carry on bags plus pillows, pool bags, stuffed animals and so on. It is a shit show and I wish they would enforce the rules at least a bit.

So YMMV depending on the mood of the flight attendant and their willingness to have you cause a scene.

This is the definitive answer, no matter how many people get away with it or don't, It Depends on the attendant enforcing the "rules" or not.

On 8/13/2023 at 5:40 PM, Donut417 said:

Amtrak allows 2 carry ons and 2 checked bags for free and two personal items. Which is why train travel in my opinion is suppierous to air travel. Because Amtrak at least tries to treat you right while airlines treat people like cattle. 

Your mileage clearly varied from mine.

As someone who has ridden cross country before Hurricane Katrina and 20+ hours just last year: Your treatment and amenities varies by route and car class chosen.

When in a sleeper car last year: The whole getting food brought to your room wasn't explained well if at all, and we had to go to the dining car at least twice to ask for our order or get it corrected.

Service was better for me on most major airlines than Amtrak.

Around the year 2000, it was Amtrak was more white glove-like than compared to budget airlines, and for a cheaper price. I could get a cross country trip for the same class sleeper cheaper than what I paid for at a third the length last year.

6 minutes ago, NobleGamer said:

When in a sleeper car last year: The whole getting food brought to your room wasn't explained well if at all, and we had to go to the dining car at least twice to ask for our order or get it corrected.

I mean I ate in the Dining car. 

8 minutes ago, NobleGamer said:

Your mileage clearly varied from mine.

I mean the train going from Denver to Chicago was like over 4 hours late coming in. THough the train that I was suppose to take 2 hours or so before was delayed. So it ended up working out but I did get in later than I was suppose to. 

I've flown with Spirit, which was my first and only time flying. The fact is I looked at airlines when going from Michigan to Colorado and for the slightly better seats and all the extra bullshit like checked bags and stuff they wanted about the same as Amtrak with the sleeper. I will say that the Amtrak trains were much more comfortable than being crammed into a metal tube at 30,000 feet, and being bent over by TSA and the airlines.