10 STEAM Features I LOVE (and one I hate)

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

4 minutes ago, swimtome said:

@jakkuh_t  The video description and pinned comment have this link.

This links to Amazon 3rd party, that is more expensive besides the typical 3rd party issues --- should probably be updated to https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck/ ?

I don't think LMG has an affiliate program with Steam, and getting their kickback for the referral is important for LMG

All the new Steam interface updates are nice and all, but there are certain things which I miss and hate.

I miss the older interface without useless animation and I hate how they now broke the ability to add custom Steam skins.

Valve should really consider making it possible again to use the old Steam interface and use custom Steam skins.

3 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

I bet you the feature he hates is the constant redesigning Steam does making the UI worse each and every time.

^This absolutely.  I don't care how "pretty" something is if it's not functional. Can we stop this trend of things have to look "modern" and "clean." It doesn't matter or they look if they aren't functional, or common things are buried multiple layers deep now. It's like everyone thinks they need to reinvent the wheel now when it comes to UIs Many times, things have been the way they are for quite some time for a reason.

4 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

I don't think LMG has an affiliate program with Steam, and getting their kickback for the referral is important for LMG

For the record I think it’s more oversight then malicious. 

Hot take: I dislike the new ingame overlay.

Not enough customisation, the buttons are too small and unlabelled unless i hover over them.

Why are the top left and top right text boxes( clock, ingame time, X to close) bound to a 4:3 aspect ratio? Why is the text so small.

The "game overview" which is the most important tab, looks like ass, and the text is too small, why do the achievements have a sliding bar. "top guides" are an useless amalgam of botted upvotes in other languages. "Recent news" is just the titles and not enough information. And "friends who have played recently" is just their picture not their names. 

"Achievements" tab is ok once you actually expand it vertically to an useful size. 

Idk why Linus is so excited about notes, in the 25 years i've been playing games i needed notes for like 3 games, for which i just made a .txt file and kept it on my other monitor. Same with Timer. I guess they're good for the single monitor gamers out there. Me personally i could never ever do that again. 

17 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

I bet you the feature he hates is the constant redesigning Steam does making the UI worse each and every time.

Constant? It was the same for like 9 years 

Jam on through to the other side

Would like to see a follow up like "X Things we/the community don't like about the Steam Client". Or daily drive some "exotic" features and give feedback. Would be nice to hightlight some struggles that Valve can use to improve the service.

I currently daily drive the "Steam Remote Play/Steam Link" on Android and found out that some games are really enjoyable via Steam Link and others are a huge pain (e.g. adding an EA game with the new EA Client as a "non-steam app" and try to launch it).

4 hours ago, bhop_monster_jam said:

Constant? It was the same for like 9 years 

they changed it like 3 years ago and also just changed it like 3 weeks ago.

Browsing is now broken, when you click on "back" it takes you to the very first page you were on...