Prime b550m-a 1gb mobo locked at 100/100mbps

Hello to all, 

I'm at the end of a long battle with my prime b550m-a mobo and getting it to run its full Gigabit network speed. 

I have shaw fiber 1gig and usually see 600-950mbs download on speed tests with other computers.

It will only connect as a Fast ethernet 100/100 Mbps connection no matter what.

And I've done everything.. 

Change Cables (both cat5e and cat 6)

Checking with second computer on lan and wifi (both had full speed with cables and ports used for this mobo)

Bios flash

Driver updates

Chipset and any other available drivers (from companies own website. )

Fresh windows install

Forcing both ends (NIC and Router) to use 1.0gb negotiations. (Service reboots but only connects 100/100)

Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2

As I see it, the network side isn't the issue as any other device connects and displays 1gb connection no issue.

I've spent hours reading forums on this mobo and troubleshooting tactics and about 30 my mins from going to the shop and getting a brand new one.. maybe setting this one on fire... (Not actually 👍)

help

Thanks,

Dusty

48 minutes ago, Mynamisj0e said:

Hello to all, 

I'm at the end of a long battle with my prime b550m-a mobo and getting it to run its full Gigabit network speed. 

I have shaw fiber 1gig and usually see 600-950mbs download on speed tests with other computers.

It will only connect as a Fast ethernet 100/100 Mbps connection no matter what.

And I've done everything.. 

Change Cables (both cat5e and cat 6)

Checking with second computer on lan and wifi (both had full speed with cables and ports used for this mobo)

Bios flash

Driver updates

Chipset and any other available drivers (from companies own website. )

Fresh windows install

Forcing both ends (NIC and Router) to use 1.0gb negotiations. (Service reboots but only connects 100/100)

Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2

As I see it, the network side isn't the issue as any other device connects and displays 1gb connection no issue.

I've spent hours reading forums on this mobo and troubleshooting tactics and about 30 my mins from going to the shop and getting a brand new one.. maybe setting this one on fire... (Not actually 👍)

help

Thanks,

Dusty

Ah, good 'ol Realtek NICs.  Try turning off all power saving options for the NIC on your Windows computer.

1. Windows Key R
  2. Run ncpa.cpl
  3. Right-click your network adapter
  4. Click Properties
  5. Click the Configure button
  6. Click the Advanced tab and make sure any power saving options are turned off

If that doesn't work, or it does work, but you want the latest driver:

1. Install the latest drivers straight from Realtek
  2. You want the installer called Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS).
  3. Yes, it's super slow to download

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

20 minutes ago, problemsolver said:

Ah, good 'ol Realtek NICs.  Try turning off all power saving options for the NIC on your Windows computer.

1. Windows Key R
  2. Run ncpa.cpl
  3. Right-click your network adapter
  4. Click Properties
  5. Click the Configure button
  6. Click the Advanced tab and make sure any power saving options are turned off

If that doesn't work, or it does work, but you want the latest driver:

1. Install the latest drivers straight from Realtek
  2. You want the installer called Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS).
  3. Yes, it's super slow to download

I've done this and no power saving across the system.

I got the on from the Asus website. It seemed to work as fully deleted the device drivers fully and reinstalled them from fresh. Used the realtek wizard and installed the latest driver(I double-checked)

I can try from the realtek website but couldn't find the driver support. I'll check your link, thanks

2 minutes ago, Mynamisj0e said:

I've done this and no power saving across the system.

I got the on from the Asus website. It seemed to work as fully deleted the device drivers fully and reinstalled them from fresh. Used the realtek wizard and installed the latest driver(I double-checked)

I can try from the realtek website but couldn't find the driver support. I'll check your link, thanks

I'm guessing that won't fix it, but might as well try 🤷‍♂️

You've done some fantastic troubleshooting, so I'm really curious if it's actually salvageable.  Just knowing it's a Realtek NIC leads me to believe it's defective, but maybe there's something else that can fix it.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

On 8/5/2023 at 6:44 PM, problemsolver said:

I'm guessing that won't fix it, but might as well try 🤷‍♂️

You've done some fantastic troubleshooting, so I'm really curious if it's actually salvageable.  Just knowing it's a Realtek NIC leads me to believe it's defective, but maybe there's something else that can fix it.

Follow up to finish this off.. none of the drivers work. Well they do but only supports 100/100.  So no change.

Was planning on using a PCIe 1x NIC but quickly realized my 3070 takes all the PCIe space on my mobo. Crap

Went to a shop to talk to techs there and maybe grab a new one if we decided it's toast. Totally forgot usb3.0 to rj45 is a thing (much embarrassed) so grabbed an adapter for $14 and batabing bataboom, gigabit achieved!

Thanks for the hand!

Dusty