I need help my download on ethernet is capped to 100-105Mb/s

Arcadius

As you can see from the image my network is 1Gb/s, however my gaming PC does not get more than 100~105Mb/s down while on ethernet. My PS5 and my laptop both get the full connection, I have tried multiple cables of cat5e and cat6, some provided from ISP some from work.

I tried looking around first before making this post, I have done all of the ethernet adapter settings mentioned in this article, I've had a new router provided, I upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11 on a fresh install, I have removed all network drivers before installing the latest from Realtek, and this week I even bought a TP-link ethernet PCI Express adapter and instaled it to my PC and still I am having this issue. I have exhausted just about everything I can think off plus everything I have found online including other post made to this forum for similar issues.

PC Spec's;

Asus Tuf Gaming X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi)

AMD Ryzen 3700x

GTX 1070

Router is Virgin media HUB 5, Ethernet is pluged into the 2.5Gb/s port (have tried others too)

SamKnows Speed test.png

DxDiag.txt

Megabits or MegaBytes?

Because your isp shows 1149 Megabits and a ps5 self network download test is shown in MegaBytes

A download on steam will be in MegaBytes whilst a speedtest via web will be in Megabits to show a higher number. Whilst its actually just a different conversion ratio.

Basically saying instead of "I walked 1 kilometer". You say "I walked 1000 meters". Sounds a bit more impressive no? No lies told just different way of showing numbers.

On the image it seems to say Megabits per second so I think the question is still valid.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Megabits or MegaBytes?

Because your isp shows 1149 Megabits and a ps5 self network download test is shown in MegaBytes

A download on steam will be in MegaBytes whilst a speedtest via web will be in Megabits to show a higher number. Whilst its actually just a different conversion ratio.

Basically saying instead of "I walked 1 kilometer". You say "I walked 1000 meters". Sounds a bit more impressive no? No lies told just different way of showing numbers.

Sadly Arcadius, you've tried everything I would recommend, changing cables, redoing drivers, another port on the PC..

The only thing you can try is plugging into a different port on the router side.

Let us know if you've managed to figure it out.

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Megabits or MegaBytes?

Yes I understand the difference between Mb and MB my dude...

1 Gigabit/s comes to a speed of 100Megabytes/s
there are 8 bits in a byte. (and there is also some overhead)

For the rest; what @jaslionsaid. 🙂

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

but wifi instead of ethernet would do 1000Mb/s ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

I'll be honest i'm not sure why you're getting a lesson in Megabits/Megabytes, the image you show clearly shows 100Mb/s at your device while the router is seeing over a Gigabit. I think some might be jumping to conclusions without reading. 

Either way, I looked around in the thread and don't see a screenshot of what your NIC is negotiating at. 

Usually the smoking gun.

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

1 Gigabit/s comes to a speed of 100Megabytes/s
there are 8 bits in a byte. (and there is also some overhead)

For the rest; what @jaslionsaid. 🙂

Again I'm not a child learning 'My first network' as seen on the speed test shown speed to my router is 1000Mb/s and speed to my PC is 100mb/s. If my pc was geeting the speed it is supposed too I would see team downlads of 100-124MB but currently I see peak's of 15MB/s

1 minute ago, Arcadius said:

Again I'm not a child learning 'My first network' as seen on the speed test shown speed to my router is 100Mb/s and speed to my PC is 100mb/s. If my pc was geeting the speed it is supposed too I would see team downlads of 100-124MB but currently I see peak's of 15MB/s

Yes i got it, this was posted before the responses. 😉

Can you check the link status? to make sure its connected at gigabit or higher speeds?
(WINKEY then type network status click properties on your network adapter in use and scroll down.)

2 minutes ago, leclod said:

but wifi instead of ethernet would do 1000Mb/s ?

Unfortunately wifi is the same issue even on 5ghz wifi channel

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I'll be honest i'm not sure why you're getting a lesson in Megabits/Megabytes, the image you show clearly shows 100Mb/s at your device while the router is seeing over a Gigabit. I think some might be jumping to conclusions without reading. 

Either way, I looked around in the thread and don't see a screenshot of what your NIC is negotiating at. 

Usually the smoking gun.

NIC.png

3 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

Method 1: Run troubleshooter

1. Press Windows key + X

2. Go to Settings

3. Click Update and Security

4. Click Troubleshooter, and then select Additional troubleshooter.

5. Look for Internet Connection and run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Reset network services

1. Click Start, search and open Command Prompt and Run as administrator

2. Copy and paste each of the command below and hit enter.

• netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

• netsh int ip reset

• netsh advfirewall reset

• netsh winsock reset

• ipconfig / flushdns

• ipconfig / release

• ipconfig / renew

You have not mentioned it, but guessing your specs you are using an SSD?
So its probably not limit from storage perspective.
This is a weird one.

Have you tried resetting the Router already?
(Altho you having said you already got a new one, im guessing that wont help much either.)

But it should be easy enough, acording to this statement:

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker.

Sauce: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/New-Volt-Giga1-amp-Hub-5-not-getting-expected-speeds/td-p/5187913

what kind of ethernet cable are you running ?

If it's CAT5 or below that's probably your bottleneck. Find a CAT6 oder CAT7 cable and try it with that.

Have you tried changing the DNS server? I know I had issues where my steam downloads weren't giving me the full speed and changing DNS to cloud flare helped. Also I hate my isps dns anyways. Granted my speeds weren't that nerfed it was more like I was getting 40 MB per second vs 50 MB per second after the DNS change. 

Just now, Isuck Assimov said:

what kind of ethernet cable are you running ?

If it's CAT5 or below that's probably your bottleneck. Find a CAT6 oder CAT7 cable and try it with that.

Why? His PC is negotiating at 1Gb/s just fine. 

7 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

You have not mentioned it, but guessing your specs you are using an SSD?
So its probably not limit from storage perspective.
This is a weird one.

Have you tried resetting the Router already?
(Altho you having said you already got a new one, im guessing that wont help much either.)

But it should be easy enough, acording to this statement:

Sauce: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/New-Volt-Giga1-amp-Hub-5-not-getting-expected-speeds/td-p/5187913

Unfortunately I have both with the old one and this new one

10 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Tried all that had to restart pc but no change sadly

1 minute ago, Arcadius said:

Unfortunately I have both with the old one and this new one

What happened when you reset network services from the instructions above? 

*edit* Got it.

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Something isn't adding up. Boot to a linux live install and check speeds there on the same machine. 

Haven't used linux in a few years will take a bit more time to try that one will have to try after im finished working for the day, and yeah exactly my thinking I'm at a complete loss as to what to try atm the only other thing I could think of hardware wise was I updated my bios a few months back before I started having this issue I'm not sure how that would cause this but its the only thing I can think off and we all know how asus are with BIOS updates recently... haha

51 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

My PS5 and my laptop both get the full connection

Are these wired or wireless?

If they are wired, then 100% its a PC problem but what??? 

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

1 minute ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Are these wired or wireless?

If they are wired, then 100% its a PC problem but what??? 

All connections are wired, that is the million $ question

30 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

Unfortunately wifi is the same issue even on 5ghz wifi channel

28 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

NIC.png

Seeing how your Wifi speeds are also being limited, and you NIC is already negotiating at 1Gbit, my only guess would be that it's something on your windows install, maybe some software limiting download speeds for some reason?

Try a linux usb stick as previously mentioned, or do another windows install in a different disk/partition just to be sure.

Or try booting into safe mode.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, Arcadius said:

All connections are wired, that is the million $ question

Man, you've got a real belter of a problem!

Try booting a Linux distro (Ubuntu) as @GuiltySpark_ suggested. I'd love to see what Linux thinks of it.

Windows reporting a 1Gbs connection and I'm assuming the led on your NIC / Switch / Router is flashing Amber (Not Green).. I think that's the correct way between 100 and 1000Mbs.

The only thing I can think of is some kinda mobo fault that's limiting the link speed of the PCIe lane(s). But this only holds true if its the same pipe for the integrated NIC, Wireless adapter AND external NIC you've bought.

Tough one buddy!

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.