Would a constantly switching fan voltage do harm to the fans?

lafrente

Fans are 3 pin, and I connected them to the mobo.

I configured the fan voltage to change based on temps (duh).

When its cool, voltage drops to a point where fans stop but RGB stays on, if it gets cooler, RGB turns off. I can even see RGB going dim step by step as mobo reduces the power to it.

Would this constant change harm the fans in any way?

Constantly switching power, and also sometimes it gets enough power to light the RGB, but not enough to turn the fans on.  

1 minute ago, lafrente said:

By constantly you mean the fans responding to higher temps and spinning up, then spinning down/slower when the system temps are reduced? IE normal PC operations?

Not likely, fans have operated on wildly differing voltages for decades just fine. Hell, with a surprising amount of them you can shove 18 volts into 'em and they'll be fine.

EDIT: To add onto this, I have an Antec Tri-Cool fan that's realistically older than a shocking number of members on this forum. If you blow on it hard enough the LEDs kick on. Still works fine about 23 years later.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Fans are 3 pin, and I connected them to the mobo.

I configured the fan voltage to change based on temps (duh).

When its cool, voltage drops to a point where fans stop but RGB stays on, if it gets cooler, RGB turns off. I can even see RGB going dim step by step as mobo reduces the power to it.

Constantly switching power, and also sometimes it gets enough power to light the RGB, but not enough to turn the fans on.  

I think it should be fine.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

3 minutes ago, Aaron_T said:

By constantly you mean the fans responding to higher temps and spinning up, then spinning down/slower when the system temps are reduced? IE normal PC operations?

Yes but more frequently.

And as I said sometimes it will get more than enough power for RGB, and not enough to spin the fans. Which would cause some heat maybe? Because that power has to go somewhere.

This depends on how the fan is setup, but I'd be worried if the rgb is on but the fan isn't spinning. If the fan has the motor running but not spinning, this can cause the motor to burn out. I'd try to keep the fans spinning if they have power. Probably won't cook them too fast as there low power motors, and you need a pretty low voltage for a fan not to spin normally.

2 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Yes but more frequently.

And as I said sometimes it will get more than enough power for RGB, and not enough to spin the fans. Which would cause some heat maybe? Because that power has to go somewhere.

As other's have said, you're going to be fine.

If the fans spin up then down on repeat constantly 24/7, IE thousands of voltage changes a day, I'd say something is wrong. But if by more frequently you mean "occasionally even when you're not putting the system under load" then it's nothing to worry about.

Also RGB LEDs are designed to vary intensity based on voltage. They can be over power, but not really under powered, so that's not an issue. 

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This depends on how the fan is setup, but I'd be worried if the rgb is on but the fan isn't spinning. If the fan has the motor running but not spinning, this can cause the motor to burn out. I'd try to keep the fans spinning if they have power. Probably won't cook them too fast as there low power motors, and you need a pretty low voltage for a fan not to spin normally.

Then I will adjust the lowest voltage high enough to still be able to spin the fans even if at very low RPM.