How long should a PSU last and when to change it?

PopsicleHustler

Hi all

So I got myself thinking of an issue I never had before. Currently I'm running on a 5-year-old EVGA 750W GQ 80+ Gold. It has been to hell and back with me, powering multiple systems across ages, everything from Ryzen 1600x + RX480 to my current build with Ryzen 7 7800X3D + 7900XTX. Previously it powered overclocked 9900k and RTX 3090. Basically, it stuck with me from my "poor college bloke" ages to "I can finally afford the real deal PC" time.

So far there are no issues, PC runs flawlessly under heavy loads, but I do have a feeling that it's a good time to retire this unit. Do you have a story of long PSU service life?

Also, what would be a good replacement? EVGA is going through some weird times right now, so I think I would prefer something a little more concrete in terms of warranty. be quiet or Seasonic maybe? Give me your recommendations for 850W units.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

So far there are no issues, PC runs flawlessly under heavy loads, but I do have a feeling that it's a good time to retire this unit. Do you have a story of long PSU service life?

5 years is well before you are reccomended to replace your psu, bout 10 years is when id start reccomending a psu swap although i would personally prefer running the thing to the ground and swapping once it has died

Expected psu lifespan for all units would be 10-15 years, take my dazumba 450w as living proof, currently 12 years old, bought around 2 years ago at 9/10 years old used which ngl kinda bad buy but hey atleast i have something as living proof to dispell the bullshit replace psu every 5 years or before 10 years crap

your unit is no exception and id expect it to atleast live to 10 years old though i wouldnt be surprised to see it surpass 15 years

I had a Seasonic x650 watt gold for a good decade before I bought my current psu due to just needing more wattage. The Seasonic still rocks today powering an overclocked FX8320 and an r9 280. If you have a higher end unit (like most offerings from Seasonic) then really you don't have to worry at all. 5 years isn't much in my book, you've still got lots of life left in your current psu. Then again, I'm the same person who thinks 100k miles on a car is still low enough mileage.

45 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Then again, I'm the same person who thinks 100k miles on a car is still low enough mileage.

it is now adays.. if it runs then its good. who cares about the blue smoke...

ya poor... 9900k and a 3090... 🤑

but ya i have an xfx psu form 2008 still i dont use it daily anymore but use it on test bench. probly fine to still use be meh. psu prices did come down.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

55 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Do you have a story of long PSU service life?

Yeah depending on the design and quality they last anywhere between 2 seconds and 70 years give or take