I want that sharp 85" 7680x4320 screen

elevul

http://www.businessinsider.com/sharp-8k-tv-ces-2013-1

With the standard 7680x4320@120fps already approved as standard (http://news.techworld.com/personal-tech/3377560/tv-with-16-times-resolution-of-hdtv-passed-by-un-standards-body/) I can't wait to have a PC monitor with this resolution. So much nice space.

Ipsa scientia potestas est

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between it and a 4K monitor seeing as it's hard to make out individual pixels standing feet away from an 85" 8K TV.

Why do people need such big screens?

The only place I can picture this is at the front of an apple store luring customers in.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between it and a 4K monitor seeing as it's hard to make out individual pixels standing feet away from an 85" 8K TV.

I would.

I am not going to post the PPI calculation, but that screen has same PPI as a 42" 4k monitor, and as a 22" 1080p monitor, so it's perfectly usable.

Why do people need such big screens? The only place I can picture this is at the front of an apple store luring customers in.

SPACE.

It's not about size, it's about resolution, and fitting a crapton of stuff on the screen.

I dont see how an 85" tv or monitor is really useable for an average consumer sitting at a desk. Maybe used in a cinema room cos u would need to be about 5-6 metres away to see it

I use a 27" monitor and 42" tv, and they are more than big enough. Any bigger and i would hav to look around like being in the front row at the movies. Which is awful.

I would.

I am not going to post the PPI calculation, but that screen has same PPI as a 42" 4k monitor, and as a 22" 1080p monitor, so it's perfectly usable.

Why do people need such big screens? The only place I can picture this is at the front of an apple store luring customers in.

SPACE.

It's not about size, it's about resolution, and fitting a crapton of stuff on the screen.

Agree, this would be perfect in boardrooms etc.

Why do people need such big screens?

The only place I can picture this is at the front of an apple store luring customers in.

totally agree! I don't have a castle for a home.

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

GPU can't handle resolution this big. At that time, you would need a 1K$ GPU to display a 4K@60fps xD

This would be waaay too big to even get in my house. We have a 50" plasma, and it's covering the wall it's monted on.

MEH

I want it as a TV ... But never as a monitor ... then rather a 4k OLED Monitor when those come ...

GPU can't handle resolution this big. At that time, you would need a 1K$ GPU to display a 4K@60fps xD
You would actually need 3-4 500$ GPU's o do that...

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Hu, I thought the 690 or 7990 could triple screen easily. Maybe if you cut down some fancy graphics, maybe ?

Any bigger and i would hav to look around like being in the front row at the movies. Which is awful.

We've been doing this for a while already with multiple displays, so it's not a problem.

The advantage of having a single 85" 7680x4320 screen, instead of multiple 24" screens is the absence of bezels, which would help a huge lot for confortable use.

GPU can't handle resolution this big. At that time' date=' you would need a 1K$ GPU to display a 4K@60fps xD[/quote']

Can, easily.

We've seen eyefinity manage 6 2560x1600 displays already, which is 7680x3200...

"Theoretical maximum: 8196x8196 (67.1 megapixel)"

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.amd.com/kr/documents/ati_eyefinity_technology_brief.pdf

So yeah, GPUs are not a problem.

GPU can't handle resolution this big. At that time' date=' you would need a 1K$ GPU to display a 4K@60fps xD[/quote'] Can, easily. We've seen eyefinity manage 6 2560x1600 displays already, which is 7680x3200... "Theoretical maximum: 8196x8196 (67.1 megapixel)" https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.amd.com/kr/documents/ati_eyefinity_technology_brief.pdf So yeah, GPUs are not a problem.

Yes, you can "manage" huge resolution with any good GPU. I was thinking more in a gaming way where 5760 x 1080 resolution is already expensive to play on decently. :)

It's like the Asus G74/75 gaming laptop that can handle 3D, but I already have trouble to play recent games at 60fps in medium graphics, so... yeah marketing. :/

It would take to much place its oversized a 48" is enough

GPU can't handle resolution this big. At that time' date=' you would need a 1K$ GPU to display a 4K@60fps xD[/quote'] Can, easily. We've seen eyefinity manage 6 2560x1600 displays already, which is 7680x3200... "Theoretical maximum: 8196x8196 (67.1 megapixel)" https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.amd.com/kr/documents/ati_eyefinity_technology_brief.pdf So yeah, GPUs are not a problem.
Yes, you can "manage" huge resolution with any good GPU. I was thinking more in a gaming way where 5760 x 1080 resolution is already expensive to play on decently. :) It's like the Asus G74/75 gaming laptop that can handle 3D, but I already have trouble to play recent games at 60fps in medium graphics, so... yeah marketing. :/

Not a problem. 8k can scale linearly, since it's a multiplier of 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 2160p. So you can play at any of these resolutions without needing scaling, thus without having input lag nor scaling artefacts.

Oh you want this screen because of its scale ! Ok I understand now.

I want it too. :p

As crazy impressive as it is, I'd rather take the 4k OLED TV, the color reproduction on that 8k just looks way to washed out right now. Of course this is something in a very primal stage and it was very awesome to see Sharp having the balls to show it off nonetheless. Not the company I'd be expecting such forward thinking. :D