Impossible to remove cover from m.2-slot due to unscrewable screw.

2 hours ago, PolishGod said:

I used the correct screwdriver this whole time. The screws the same size are unscrewable with the screwdriver that didn’t work with the first one. There’s got to be a warranty or something in case the screw is actually broken.

You said you used a 2 not a 00. Is that not the case?

56 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

You said you used a 2 not a 00. Is that not the case?

Yeah but the 2.0 fits too, it works with the screws it didn’t scratch and you can see that it’s small enough if you like hold it down and compare how big the screwdriver is to the gap.

Sometimes the threads of a screwhole will not let the screw's threads "Grab" and leave it just spinning in the hole, usually due to the screw being cross-threaded resulting in the threads themselves becoming damaged.

One way that can work is to use some upward pressure to the cover itself where the screw is as you try to remove the screw, sometimes the screw will then catch and start extracting itself like it should.
All the other suggestions here can help as well but I'm thinking in this case the threads in the hole are deformed (Damaged) so the threads on the screw simply can't grab and begin the process of the screw coming up.
Sometimes it take a bit of upward pressure to make it want to come out so be aware of that - You may have to be a tad rough on it.
If you can get it out AND if you can find a bottoming tap (Not a standard tap) of that size and thread pitch for the standoff it screws into, you can then fix the threads and I'd also go ahead and replace the screw itself.

It's best (Easier) if you can also replace the standoff, doing that instead of using a tap but it can be done if you can get the right tap.

After you get the screw out and do whatever you have to, when you go to reinstall the cover DO NOT actually torque it down.

Simply "Good-N-Snug" works fine and won't run the risk of thread deformation due to excess torquing of the screw but it also important not to cross thread the screws or you'll be in the same situation again.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

15 hours ago, PolishGod said:

Yeah but the 2.0 fits too, it works with the screws it didn’t scratch and you can see that it’s small enough if you like hold it down and compare how big the screwdriver is to the gap.

there is no shot a sized #2 bit fits in a #00 head.

You are not understanding the question. 

this is how much of a size difference those two heads are, use the right tool for the job. of course a number 2 will slip out, it doesn't fit.

IMG_5964.jpeg

The above also reminded me about if the screwdriver tip itself is worn out - That can make things difficult too.
It's a matter of it being the right size and if the tip isn't worn to the point it can't do it's job. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

there is no shot a sized #2 bit fits in a #00 head.

You are not understanding the question. 

this is how much of a size difference those two heads are, use the right tool for the job. of course a number 2 will slip out, it doesn't fit.

IMG_5964.jpeg

Whatever, Idc about my "incorrect" screwdriver working with the screws, I just wanna know what screw it is so it can be replaced. Maybe one that curves up and isn't flat? They should get a better grip and work better if you damage them compared to the flat ones right?

3 minutes ago, PolishGod said:

Whatever, Idc about my "incorrect" screwdriver working with the screws, I just wanna know what screw it is so it can be replaced. Maybe one that curves up and isn't flat? They should get a better grip and work better if you damage them compared to the flat ones right?

No? it wont work with better grip when damaged. 

you should care about the incorrect screwdriver going forward that's how you got into this mess. 

Its most likely an M2 screw, the length of it you will need to figure out. 
You can buy something like this https://www.amazon.com/Persberg-Notebook-Computer-Replacement-Assortment/dp/B089QX453K/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=m2+screws&qid=1690188274&sr=8-3
And just use what you need and now have a bunch of screws you will never use in your work bench. 

5 hours ago, starsmine said:

No? it wont work with better grip when damaged. 

you should care about the incorrect screwdriver going forward that's how you got into this mess. 

Its most likely an M2 screw, the length of it you will need to figure out. 
You can buy something like this https://www.amazon.com/Persberg-Notebook-Computer-Replacement-Assortment/dp/B089QX453K/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=m2+screws&qid=1690188274&sr=8-3
And just use what you need and now have a bunch of screws you will never use in your work bench. 

It doesn't? It should because if it's higher and I strip it the top should be stripped but the lower part of the screw remains intact and can get a grip of the screw.

On 7/20/2023 at 6:35 PM, PolishGod said:

More like they need to get screws with better compatibility:/

I understand you're frustrated, but you need to learn from this mistake. Using the proper screwdriver for the proper screw is basic computer repair 101. If you're not willing to do that, you should probably not use DIY components and should stick to pre-builds with all-in-one warranties, like Dell.

In the future, if you're stubborn on using a #2 Philips screwdriver for all tasks, you should do research on your purchases to ensure that you don't buy any components that will require a different screwdriver.

On 7/23/2023 at 8:12 AM, PolishGod said:

I used the correct screwdriver this whole time. The screws the same size are unscrewable with the screwdriver that didn’t work with the first one. There’s got to be a warranty or something in case the screw is actually broken.

Sometimes an oversized screwdriver will absolutely unscrew a smaller screw. Sometimes it won't. There are a lot of variables, including how big the size difference is, how tight the screw was torqued, how strong the screw material is, etc.

The motherboard itself has a warranty, if you're still within the warranty period - so I guess you could contact them about a repair or something. I don't know whether they would honour a warranty claim if it can be determined that user error resulted in the damage. You might get lucky though.

Honestly when it comes to stuff like screw bit sizes, often you just have to use a little common sense, and test your screwdriver for a good fit. If it doesn't sink down and lock into place nicely, you're just asking for trouble.

If you're gonna be working on DIY PC's, I highly suggest you get yourself a precision screwdriver set (even a simple one with maybe 10-20 different bit sizes). Sooner or later, you're going to run into screws that a #2 Philips screwdriver just isn't going to work on.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:20 AM, PolishGod said:

It doesn't? It should because if it's higher and I strip it the top should be stripped but the lower part of the screw remains intact and can get a grip of the screw.

You can absolutely replace the screw (assuming you can get it out) with a different one with a different style head on it. But if you continue to use the wrong sized screwdriver for the screw, it will only help so much. If you're going to do that, you need to know the specifications of the screw (if you use the wrong size and type of thread, you WILL damage the motherboard).

In the meantime, the rubber band trick is likely going to be your best bet in getting the screw out, especially if you're not willing to go get the right screwdriver/bit size.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 1 month later...

I’m going to bump this thread,

I can verify that even when using the correct screwdriver head, those screws are a big issue.

my Phillips 00 was just too weak to handle the strength of how strong those screws were screwed in.

I did try a few heads gently and even used the rubber method you mentioned, none worked.

I’ll mention that the other screw, the one talked about in this thread, in the middle of the thermal guard, which is of the same type, unscrewed easily..

update:

I was afraid to damage the board (a few days old) so I took it back to the lab where it was assembled. The technician was very surprised that I came for this reason but when he tried to unscrew it, he said he assembled this MOBO more than 1000 times and never seen anything like this.. he managed to do it, don’t know with what PH number but he put a LOT of force, I would never do it for a new board.

i consider it a faulty motherboard, be warned and careful if it happens to you.

I was very tempted to ask for a replacement because he was so afraid it will happen again that he suggested I won’t use the guard - a red flag for me which yells fault board (the entire of was working fine and this issue rose only after I wanted to add extra NVMEs)

ill try and find out what screw driver actually did the trick

Edited by HybridOni

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined the forums to post this. I had the exact problem this weekend. I spent 3 hours trying to remove those 2 screws. I tried 00, 0 and 1 heads. When I first used 00 head, it barely latched. The moment I tried to unscrew, the screw got chipped. I immediately did the rubber band trick with 00 head but it did not budge and I think it still damaged the screw. Then, I moved on to 0 and 1 heads, same result. I even used immense force on the screw while trying, nearly bending the motherboard. My right has been sore because of that for 2 days now. I even tried gluing the screw to the screwdriver, nope, did not latch. At this point, I am out of tools at home. I have assembled/dissembled my own PCs for years now and this is first time I have experienced something like this. I gave up after trying for 3 hours:

MicrosoftTeams-image.thumb.png.5b25582e008ff65516c04b72c75c7960.png

10 hours ago, SLatis said:

Just joined the forums to post this. I had the exact problem this weekend. I spent 3 hours trying to remove those 2 screws. I tried 00, 0 and 1 heads. When I first used 00 head, it barely latched. The moment I tried to unscrew, the screw got chipped. I immediately did the rubber band trick with 00 head but it did not budge and I think it still damaged the screw. Then, I moved on to 0 and 1 heads, same result. I even used immense force on the screw while trying, nearly bending the motherboard. My right has been sore because of that for 2 days now. I even tried gluing the screw to the screwdriver, nope, did not latch. At this point, I am out of tools at home. I have assembled/dissembled my own PCs for years now and this is first time I have experienced something like this. I gave up after trying for 3 hours:

MicrosoftTeams-image.thumb.png.5b25582e008ff65516c04b72c75c7960.png

btw im completely confused, why is this cover so big?? its a nvme ssd right?  those are a lot smaller...

if its for two ssds... what the hell are asus thinking lol 

also btw you don't need a cover,  its actually detrimental for heat dissipation. 

but either way sorry for the little rant, it's just confusing... 

good luck with the screws tho, let us know how it goes.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

btw im completely confused, why is this cover so big?? its a nvme ssd right?  those are a lot smaller...

if its for two ssds... what the hell are asus thinking lol 

also btw you don't need a cover,  its actually detrimental for heat dissipation. 

but either way sorry for the little rant, it's just confusing... 

good luck with the screws tho, let us know how it goes.

How is it detrimental? If it is making contact, it will add more thermal mass rather than just the heat spreader sticker.

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem on the exact same motherboard, and Jah Know exact same ******* screw, using the right tool, dont make it work,, only solution, remove MB  so you can access from the side with a pliers

On 7/24/2023 at 3:26 AM, iameatingjam said:

Something like this... but with a screw driver obviously. 

img4917.webp

i did that with my insert cage thing for my front fans - with an actual drill! 

the drill actually broke, then the screw, which then fell out, crisis averted! 😓 

(just for record i fully intended to destroy the screw - thats the point of using a drill, i just didn't expect the drill to break first! lmao. german "high quality" trash brand: Bosch ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

My new Aorus z790 has this EXACT problem. I even used a 00 from the start, but none of them budged. 

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bump this thread, because I am having the exact same problem with the exact same  2 screws (1 I could remove) with b650M elite AX

12 minutes ago, vaporbolt said:

Just wanted to bump this thread, because I am having the exact same problem with the exact same  2 screws (1 I could remove) with b650M elite AX

Do you notice any damage on the threads at all?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

30 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Do you notice any damage on the threads at all?

They look damaged- or maybe deformed?

38 minutes ago, vaporbolt said:

Can you get some photos by any chance? I find it odd that these screws are causing a problem - almost like they're partially seizing up. I can't remember if I had the same issues or not on some of my motherboards either.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have the same motherboard and had this problem. 3 screws were unscrewable. I solved the problem by violently ripping out the thermal shield that shields the SSDs and then simply not using it. I don't know if I will be able to resell this motherboard now, but at least I can use it.

To be fair to Gigabyte, at least the "Ez-Latch" thing is great. It truly is ez-2-use.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:39 PM, vaporbolt said:

Were you able to find a fix? Cause I’m currently having the issue and just about ready to yank this thing off