Is my new PCU defective?

jcracine
Go to solution Solved by jcracine,
5 minutes ago, offweek said:

Yeh, I misread your OG post to say nothing was happening, but it doesn't say that.  My bad.

5600X  doesn't have integrated graphics.

So does it all work now?

Yeah, by some sort of luck no components seems to have failed from my mistake. I unplugged by accident my SSD with windows so it wasn't plugged when I switched the PSUs. My old setup is functional. So now all I have to do is update the BIOS, recable everything with the new PSU and then put my new parts.

Hello friends,

I've come to you because I'm in quite a pickle. It has been a while since I built my pc and while it was fine for most of the tasks I did, it did not met the requirement for one of the games I wants to play that is about to release.

My original build is as follow:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-Core
  • MB: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • RAM: 2x 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws 2133MHz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GT 650W 80+ Gold
  • Storage: 1x250GB SSD with a bunch of 1T HDD.

My new build is as follow:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core
  • MB: Same
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT
  • RAM: Same
  • PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 750W 80+ Gold
  • Storage: Same

My problem is that when I plug everything in my new PSU, the whole pc is unresponsive. I tried to connect everything beside the graphic cards in the old PSU and the pc seems to boot (I haven't tried to plug my display in my MB to see if I can access the OS yet). I think I isolated some hypothesis as to why my new PSU doesn't seem to work but I need your feedback on them. First, it could be that the graphic card needs to be powered from the 12-pin rail specifically and the powerdraw prevent the machine to boot (It's the first time i saw that on a PSU so that's why I think it that could be one off the reasons). Second, it could be that the PSU is defective out of the box and I just need a new one. Third, it could be a potential compatibility problem with my PCIe lanes as my motherboard is PCIe Gen 3 and my PSU is PCIe Gen 5.

I hope I gave you enough details so that you can help me resolve this issue. If there is a way I can test the PSU to see if its working, let me now. I have access to multimeters and other stuff at my job and I now how to use them.

Edit: I bought everything this weekend so I have the relevant garanties depending if I need to return stuff, and all parts were new.

When you swapped PSU's, did you by chance use ANY cables from your old PSU (Modular cables?) 

They are NOT the same from brand to brand, ensure you're using ONLY the new ones from your NEW PSU.

Also, from region, in the back of your PSU, is there a slider for Voltage? (probably not, but, worth asking)

Sounds like a bad PSU, a PCIE5 PSU should only have a 16Pin connector, but still come with the pieces to fit to your 24 pin power rail.

Maybe this is something you should explore to see.

In the world of testing, you'd need to check the voltage at each pin to ensure 12v and 5v delivery.

Mainboard CPU's will have a read out (usually) of what power for which pins the board needs.

Use this to diagnose that.

However, I dont recommend trying. I would rather RMA than do that. 

13 minutes ago, mrjason said:

When you swapped PSU's, did you by chance use ANY cables from your old PSU (Modular cables?) 

They are NOT the same from brand to brand, ensure you're using ONLY the new ones from your NEW PSU.

Also, from region, in the back of your PSU, is there a slider for Voltage? (probably not, but, worth asking)

Sounds like a bad PSU, a PCIE5 PSU should only have a 16Pin connector, but still come with the pieces to fit to your 24 pin power rail.

Maybe this is something you should explore to see.

In the world of testing, you'd need to check the voltage at each pin to ensure 12v and 5v delivery.

Mainboard CPU's will have a read out (usually) of what power for which pins the board needs.

Use this to diagnose that.

However, I dont recommend trying. I would rather RMA than do that. 

I did reuse the old cables from my original PSU. Is there a risk I might have compromised some other components of my system?

EDIT: regarding the 12 pin connector, I refer to the 12VHPWR connector (I think the correct name is the 12+4 pin connector)

4 minutes ago, jcracine said:

Is there a risk I might have compromised some other components of my system?

YES. While pinning on the motherboard side of the PSU are standardized, the one connecting the cable with the PSU modular ports are not. Every vendor have different pinouts unless specified or you can verify it yourself with a multimeter, so DONT RISK IT AND USE THE SAME MODULAR CABLE THAT CAME WITH THE PSU OR THOSE SPECIFIC FOR YOUR MAKE AND MODEL.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 minutes ago, jcracine said:

I did reuse the old cables from my original PSU. Is there a risk I might have compromised some other components of my system?

Yes. Especially the SATA powered devices are more likely to be damaged. But it's still worth checking the actual damage by booting up. 

:)

Ok thanks, I'm gonna keep you posted. I'm not at my place at the moment so it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, jcracine said:

Ok thanks, I'm gonna keep you posted. I'm not at my place at the moment so it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

I think you will be OK, but, lesson learned for next time.

28 minutes ago, mrjason said:

I think you will be OK, but, lesson learned for next time.

Fair enough, but I find it odd that it's standardized on one end but not the other. It still gonna be a pain to recable the whole pc while they could have just made all cable standards.

10 hours ago, jcracine said:

Fair enough, but I find it odd that it's standardized on one end but not the other. It still gonna be a pain to recable the whole pc while they could have just made all cable standards.

Oh, I agree lol.

How do you think I learned the same thing lol

I'm at home now. I tried to do some damage control and check if I could access my BIOS at the very least, but I don't see anything when I try plug my display on my integrated HDMI port. I tried the battery trick but I'm still seeing nothing. Is it possible I have damaged my motherboard?

Just now, offweek said:

Back to basics

- Have you changed all the cables to the ones supplied with your PSU?

- Have you checked the power buttoon leads are correctly attached to the motherboard?  Yes?  Really check closely, look at the manual, check every pin as closely as you can, pretend you're female and have a 'girl look' (i.e take a time out and have a look that assumes nothing).

- Is the PSU switch on?

- Is the PSU cable firmly connected?

If all that fails, disconnect everything on the low voltage/DC side and short the green PSU rail to black.  Do you get fan spin?  If not, either PSU dead or you're getting no juice on the AC side.

I'm able to access the bios now, it seems like the board doesn't support integrated graphics/ needs a graphic card. I had trouble trying to decipher the debug LEDs on the MB because there's no info in the manual other than a legend on the MB schematics.

5 minutes ago, offweek said:

Yeh, I misread your OG post to say nothing was happening, but it doesn't say that.  My bad.

5600X  doesn't have integrated graphics.

So does it all work now?

Yeah, by some sort of luck no components seems to have failed from my mistake. I unplugged by accident my SSD with windows so it wasn't plugged when I switched the PSUs. My old setup is functional. So now all I have to do is update the BIOS, recable everything with the new PSU and then put my new parts.

Just to update yall that my upgrade is completed and everything is working fine. I want to thank you all for the support!