Chromecast or something else?

chance8114

Hopefully I posted in the right section.

I have content that is not on an app featured on Chromecast natively, and casting is very unreliable at best. Am I missing something in regards to getting this content on my TV, or do I need to use a different device? My Samsung TV has its own web browser and that one works, but my main TV is running Android TV (and has the additional Chromecast connected)

Hopefully that made sense. Thank you!

You could always run a cheap pc as a media center, using it directly connected to the TV or over your local network. That would give you the freedom to install any OS you want, allowing the app to run natively.

On 7/16/2023 at 3:16 PM, jc.drksn said:

Hopefully I posted in the right section.

I have content that is not on an app featured on Chromecast natively, and casting is very unreliable at best. Am I missing something in regards to getting this content on my TV, or do I need to use a different device? My Samsung TV has its own web browser and that one works, but my main TV is running Android TV (and has the additional Chromecast connected)

Hopefully that made sense. Thank you!

Without knowing what the content is, or anything about it, there's really nothing useful anyone can do to help you.

You need a playback device connected to the TV that supports whatever content you're trying to access. If it's browser based, you need to connect something with a browser - an HTPC for example.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Avoid computers for browser based streaming services as they don't have surround sound support and are generally limited to 720p resolution. 

I'll offer Nvidia shield pro. Ziddo. Zappity. These especially if you want lossless audio support.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, jsnotlout1 said:

You could always run a cheap pc as a media center, using it directly connected to the TV or over your local network. That would give you the freedom to install any OS you want, allowing the app to run natively.

This is what I do.  I've got an Intel NUC plugged into my TV via HDMI.  Works great for youtube, streaming services (tho I hardly use them), and all my media via nfs & Kodi.  I have a remote that works with the pointer by waving it around (like a Wii Mote) and a keyboard on the back side.  I've been way happier with it than I ever was with a buggy Chromecast that, among other issues, would just restart for updates whenever it wanted regardless of whether I was in the middle of watching something or not.

Linux, Firefox, Kodi... all you need.

On 7/23/2023 at 2:14 AM, sm1th5 said:

Avoid computers for browser based streaming services as they don't have surround sound support and are generally limited to 720p resolution. 

I'll offer Nvidia shield pro. Ziddo. Zappity. These especially if you want lossless audio support.

I don't know if that's true... I'm pretty sure I can do Netflix in 1080p and I don't see why it wouldn't support surround...

On 8/14/2023 at 1:12 AM, thiccbeard4linux said:

I don't know if that's true... I'm pretty sure I can do Netflix in 1080p and I don't see why it wouldn't support surround...

Netflix can do 1080p and 4k only using Microsoft edge and the windows app.

Surround sound also the same.

On 8/13/2023 at 9:12 AM, thiccbeard4linux said:

I don't see why it wouldn't support surround...

Its called DRM. PC users are pirates according to the entertainment industry. They limit quality to prevent high quality screen records. Thats part of the reason HTPC's are kinda dead now days. The only way to get the highest quality is thru physical media. Most people now days just want to stream everything. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Its called DRM. PC users are pirates according to the entertainment industry. They limit quality to prevent high quality screen records. Thats part of the reason HTPC's are kinda dead now days. The only way to get the highest quality is thru physical media. Most people now days just want to stream everything. 

Oh man, look at all the joy I've been missing out on by still doing things the old way

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2023 at 12:47 AM, thiccbeard4linux said:

Oh man, look at all the joy I've been missing out on by still doing things the old way

I've continued to have a good experience with my HTPC.  I use it with a cordless keyboard/touchpad combo though.  I use the HTPC connected to my home theatre because with the right applications I can get the best resolution, colour calibration (with display profile setup with a colorimeter), and direct audio decoding by the receiver.  So much of that stuff is obscured with the other devices.  I am using chromecasts (several gen 2 and a 4k) for convenience on other screens.  

I've run into one issue with the chromecast ecosystem though.  During a few recent power outages, and with internet down, I've been unable to cast to my chromecasts even though my LAN is working and my Jellyfin server is running.  For that reason I'm looking for some chromecast alternatives myself.  Aside from that they've been decent.